PDA

View Full Version : Tarptents in snow

EJC
11-05-2011, 20:50
Has anyone used a tarptent contrail or rainbow in the snow? How did it hold up? I know the contrail is a 3 season and the rainbow is a 3+ season. This would be a few inches at most, not survive a blizzard or anything.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.963841,-76.684115

tuswm
11-05-2011, 20:54
i have a DR and it never had any problems but I have never had it out in a blizzard

10-K
11-05-2011, 20:56
I have a Rainbow and last year was hiking around Big Bald when a foot of snow fell on the side of the mountain I was on during the night.

The tent held up very well. Because of the shape knocking the snow off the tent was very easy.

LIhikers
11-05-2011, 21:34
I too have been out in my Rainbow during a snow storm with no problems. There was about 4 or 5 inches on the ground when I set it up and about the same amount fell over night.

Pound Hound
11-14-2011, 17:18
We have a double rainbow and found that in high winds it tended to lean over quite a bit. I added two lines to the peak to give it more stability. Works great now.

Pound Hound and Garage Man

garlic08
11-14-2011, 19:02
Franco posted a great way to pitch the Contrail in heavier snow a few years ago and I can't find it. You can PM him for the photos. It consists of adding a ridge line by using a short pole (stick) and a guyline in the middle of the back edge. I liked it so much (gives good foot room and ventilation), I use it often even when snow is not predicted. Other TTs like my old Virga shed moderate snow fairly well.

Franco
11-14-2011, 19:15
Hi Garlic
Cannot remember that 'Contrail " video but possibly you were thinking of Quoddy's Sublite Sil half buried in the snow.
The extra strut on the Contrail and the front guyline will help handling an inch or two of snow but it isn't built for it.
The Moment with the extra cross pole can hold more snow or if using trekking poles have a look at the soon to be released Strato Spire 1.
But the only 4 season TT are the Scarps and even those are not expedition/high altitude shelters or for places you could get several feet of wet snow.
However they do the job for most ...
Franco