PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire hike

mmorgan
11-06-2011, 13:31
I am looking for suggestions on a spring hike in NH. I'm looking at 4, 5 maybe 6 days. Any ideas?

Slo-go'en
11-06-2011, 14:38
Wait until at least June, or better yet, July. Seriously. Hiking is discouraged during "mud season" which is April and May. Depending on the amount of snow we get, it can linger well into April, even into May in some spots. June is when the bugs are thier peak and it often rains a lot in May and June.

As for where to go, if you don't mind spending the big bucks, doing a AMC hut traverse is a good way to do the above tree line section without having to carry a heavy pack or deal with vaying for the limited number of tent sites.

While not entirely in NH, the Mahoosics are good, but a rugged and difficult section. Going slow -shelter to shelter - makes it a little more do-able.

If you want to get off the beaten path, there is the Cohos trail. The only problem is there is not real easy to get to and from the trail heads and resupply is a bit of a problem for extended hikes there.

There's got to be well over 1000 miles of trails in NH, so pleanty of places to pick from.

quilteresq
11-06-2011, 14:59
We've hiked the weekend before Memorial Day every year in the Whites since I met my husband 25 years ago. We've encountered everything from HOT to rain, to snow in the Woodstock. My first overnight trip though was a loop going around the Pemigiwasset Wilderness. It's still my favorite place in NH. The Sandwich Range also has some great loops - it's a bit further south and is likely to have less mud than the Whites. Don't kid yourself, though. They're tough mountains!

hikerboy57
11-06-2011, 16:06
second the pemi, but Id wait till mud season is over. plenty of 3 and 4 day loops you can do between franconia and crwford, and the bonds are a great hike, ouststanding views.

Del Q
11-06-2011, 20:59
In Sept I hiked from Hanover North to Franconia Ridge / I93

2nd half much better

Mt Cube was AMAZING, one of the best or the best camping spots ever. No water.

Mt Moosilauke is really great, tough ups from both sides, North side is STEEP up or down depending on direction

NH is super hard, I have hiked from Bland to Franconia (skipped VT this Fall due to Hurricane), nothing compared to this level of difficulty for me. Would suggest dialing down mileage estimates.

Lonesome Lake Hut was a super way to finish up.