PDA

View Full Version : Speed Hike 2012

The Walker
11-06-2011, 13:36
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a speed hike in 2012. I will be 46 so I figure it is now or never. I don't doubt that I can average 30 miles per day. It's those extra miles that are the question. Weather, blisters, and repetitive stress will be the main issues. I don't need lots of sleep or creature comforts. I shall start my training today in the desert and mountains outside of San Diego. It will be a south to north venture since I am a Maine native and would like to finish on Katahdin. The plan is for mostly walking, but if I feel that I need to jog a little, I will.

The Walker

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2011, 18:56
Assume you mean unsupported, carrying your gear and resupplying on your own, etc. Doing one or two or three 30 mile days is certainly possible (not for me), but there are a few people here on WB who can probably do that kind of mileage. Averaging 30 mpd over the course of the entire trail though is a different story. That's a 72 day thru-hike. A 40 mile day for every 20 mile day. My guess would be that probably less than a dozen people have ever done an unsupported thru averaging 30. If you aren't currently regularly hiking that kind of distance on terrain similar to the AT, I think you're in for a tough "learning experience". But good luck!

Arius
11-06-2011, 19:48
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a speed hike in 2012. I will be 46 so I figure it is now or never. I don't doubt that I can average 30 miles per day. It's those extra miles that are the question. Weather, blisters, and repetitive stress will be the main issues. I don't need lots of sleep or creature comforts. I shall start my training today in the desert and mountains outside of San Diego. It will be a south to north venture since I am a Maine native and would like to finish on Katahdin. The plan is for mostly walking, but if I feel that I need to jog a little, I will.

The Walker

I'm...I will...I don't doubt...I can... I don' need...I shall...I am...I feel...I need...I will...

Sorry, blah...blah..., another sprinter...

Roland
11-06-2011, 20:11
I'm...I will...I don't doubt...I can... I don' need...I shall...I am...I feel...I need...I will...

Sorry, blah...blah..., another sprinter...

From your post, one might conclude that you take issue with those who hike at a speed which is faster than your own. I don't understand this mentality. Why does it matter to you? It's his hike.

Mags
11-06-2011, 20:19
>>Why does it matter to you? It's his hike.

It's call HMHDI (http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi). :)

To quote " ...different from my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY HIKE – DAMN IT!"

;)

clsvideo
11-06-2011, 20:22

The Walker

If it's your first thru attempt why don't you just do it at a leisurely pace and enjoy it? Then you can go do it for speed in a couple years.

Roland
11-06-2011, 20:29

To quote " ...different from my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable. HIKE MY HIKE – DAMN IT!"

;)

I suppose that's it. You can hike your own hike, as long as you do it my way.

Del Q
11-06-2011, 20:50
To me, setting a "deadline" like this is a setup for additional mental stress............its easy to throw out numbers and miles, the AT is so incredibly tough at times that committing to really high miles on end is, well, a setup.

Iceaxe
11-06-2011, 21:09

;)

I still bust a gut laughing everytime i read your HMHDI article Mags!
My absolute favorite is: "The shelter you can build with the correct knife".
It just kills me!
Anyhow.. everyone carry on with the bickering.. I am gonna check out that HMHDI thread agian!

The Walker
11-06-2011, 21:17
Supported record of Jennifer Pharr Davis: 46 days 11 hours 20 minutes (46.92 miles per day)
Unsupported record of Ward Leonard: 60.5 days (36.03 miles per day)

This will be a supported attempt since the disadvantages of an unsupported attempt seem to me to far outweigh the 10.89 fewer miles required per day.

Is anybody else attempting a speed hike for next summer?

Lone Wolf, have you made any support team commitments for next summer?

aaronthebugbuffet
11-06-2011, 21:18
Best of luck.
Have you hike multiple 30 mile days before? Don't underestimate the mental fatigue.
I hiked two 35 mile days in GSMNP last month. Physically I was fine but a few more days at that pace would burn me out.

Kookork
11-06-2011, 21:26
If this goal makes your blood boil and hike the AT so let it be.Good Luck with best intentions. You just want to speed hike it or you want to break any records?

How long have you been in woods? how much preparation would you put into it?

Is it unsupported or .... many many other factors come to mind. But at the end it is you that makes the journey.

Keep in mind that your health is more important than any record ,even personal ones,. Even the best records would be broken sooner than later.

You know if Ausian Bolt runs the AT with his unbelievable speed( and just keeps his speed the whole trail!!!) he can be a thru hiker in less than 5 days, But can he?

Malto
11-06-2011, 21:28
Stringing together 30 mile days isn't overly challenging for someone who has trained and is properly motivated. I would disagree that the supported record will be easier than unsupported. Those extra 11 per day will be tough. I would think a very lightweight unsupported attempt would be the way to go.

Mags
11-06-2011, 22:14
Anyhow.. everyone carry on with the bickering.. I am gonna check out that HMHDI thread agian!

:) It is by far the most popular article on my website. Think I'll update it a little bit in the near future!

I see sections on dogs, electronics, sponsorship and record attempts as probable additions. :D

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2011, 22:51
:) It is by far the most popular article on my website. Think I'll update it a little bit in the near future!

I see sections on dogs, electronics, sponsorship and record attempts as probable additions. :D
I truly believe that in order to keep hiking pure, you should solicit sponsorships and donations to finance further efforts in spreading the HMHDI gospel. Perhaps even a HMHDI hike funded by contributors? A tactfully worded section unabashedly begging for money and offering advertising, logo placement, product endorsements, etc., placed right after the "Making Money Off Outdoor Pursuits" section would be very apropos. Just my 2 cents (which is about all you're getting off me).

stranger
11-08-2011, 08:19
I personally don't see the logic in assuming a 'supported' daily average of 47 miles per day will be easier then an 'unsupported' daily average of 36 miles. I think this view can only come from someone who has never hiked 36 miles, let alone 47. Think about it this way, 47 miles per day breaks down to 3.1 miles per hour, for 15 hours per day. That leaves 9 hours for everything else, getting water, eating, resting, patching blisters, changing socks, and sleeping. Jennifer Pharr Davis has made multiple attempts before her latest record, and her best effort was 47 miles per day, it would be absolutely huge for anyone to break that record.

On the supported side of things, Ward's record of 36 miles per day (set in 1990 no less) is fairly robust as well. The only hikers I know who have managed to average 36 per day unsupported are Andrew Skurka, who's best time is 38 miles per day average for 45 days on the PCT, and of course Scott Williamson who might as well be superman as far as many are concerned. Justin Lichter managed a average of 28 miles per day on his 10,000 mile hike years ago, and Skurka again only maintained a daily average of 33 miles per day on his Great Western Loop hike. So to break Ward's record, you would have to out hike Andrew Skurka - think about that!

I'm not speed hiker but if I made an attempt on AT speed hike, I would make a trial run. I don't mind doing longer days, and have repeatedly hiked back-to-back 25's and 27's, with the odd 30 thrown in for good measure. For me, there is a huge difference between 25 miles and 30 miles, but not a big difference between 21-25 for example. Before you announce something like this, you may want to do a 300-400 miles section of the mid-atlantic, and see if you can average 40 miles per day, thing will probably get real clear, real quick.

But the record will be broken eventually, so it's worth a shot. For me, Ward's record is the one that counts.

Pedaling Fool
11-08-2011, 08:38

The Walker

Supported record of Jennifer Pharr Davis: 46 days 11 hours 20 minutes (46.92 miles per day)
Unsupported record of Ward Leonard: 60.5 days (36.03 miles per day)

This will be a supported attempt since the disadvantages of an unsupported attempt seem to me to far outweigh the 10.89 fewer miles required per day.

Is anybody else attempting a speed hike for next summer?

Lone Wolf, have you made any support team commitments for next summer?I'm confused. In your OP you say you doubt that you could average 30mpd, leaving me thinking you're just going to do an unsupported speed hike with the only intent of seeing just how fast you can do it. Then in post 10 you say you're going to do a supported speed hike, but you're not even sure you can best the best unsupported time. So why go to the trouble and expense of a supported speed hike?

jersey joe
11-08-2011, 12:44
Go for it Walker! Nothing wrong with setting a goal of 30+miles per day average and seeing how/if you can achieve that pace on your thru hike. It sounds like you are only half serious and that if you can't do it, you will still enjoy and complete your thru hike. So, why not! One thing that i've realized with myself is that by making an idea public, you make the idea more real in your own head and increase the prospect of achieving the idea.

Over the past few years, even before Jenn's record hike, i've maintained that the supported record will be broken before the unsupported record. If for no other reason than there are a lot more attempts on the supported record.

Hoofit
11-08-2011, 15:00
I'm thinking of doing an unsupported mid winter hike with a team of huskies and a collapsible sleigh for the smoother terrain.
Figure I could do close to thirty miles a day!
J

Hoofit
11-08-2011, 15:01
Just how steep is Mount Washington anyway...
Albert in the south kinda concerns me too...

hikerboy57
11-08-2011, 15:17
Albert in the south kinda concerns me too...actually mt washington is pretty easy, you're already up on the ridge. its the notches in ME and NH that will lsow you down, tons of puds in ME , carter-moriahs.

campingfever
11-08-2011, 15:38
It's another 8 years before my wife and I retire and make our AT attempt. We have set the lofty goal of...finishing!

Buffalo Skipper
11-08-2011, 15:55
My wife and kids and I did Albert about, um, let me see, 4 years ago. Of course, that was from the parking lot off the trail to the north. But if these guys did it, it should not be too bad for you.

The Walker
11-08-2011, 17:31
Albert in the south kinda concerns me too...

It's almost vertical, but if you tilt your mind, the walking becomes level.

Slo-go'en
11-08-2011, 18:47
What if we say a "speed" hike is doing it in 90 days or less. That's moving right along and the list of hikers who have sub 90 day thru hikes is still pretty short (though likely undocumented, so hard to tell exactly how many there are). And it's not a totally unrealistic goal.

Breaking the current speed records is going to take someone with some serious training, support and remarkable stanima and endurance.

The Walker
11-08-2011, 19:39
and dry weather!

The Walker
11-08-2011, 20:00
1. best footwear for an endeavor of this sort (mainly walking with some jogging)
2. best energy snacks and drinks?

Malto
11-08-2011, 22:00
If you are planning to start a record hike in 2012 you are bit behind asking about snacks? To do a record speed hike you will be burning well over 8000 calories a day. You need a complete nutrition plan that has been field tested. I suspect you will end up doing something a bit slower than a record attempt once you learn what it will take. Either way you can get a good start on your questions if you go to postholer and search for a journal by me (Malto). I did the PCT in under 100 days this year and spent a lot of time on areas critical to a fast hike. Take everything that I did including the training and put it on steroids. I spent over a year and a half training specifically for that fast hike and I was nowhere ready to do a record attempt of any trail. This was my first thru and I learned a lot about how to hike long days, day after day. IMHO unless you are a mutant you have little chance of setting a record on your first thru. Even former navy seals have been humbled by the effort. But whatever speed you choose to go have fun, its more important than trying to beat a record.

k2basecamp
11-08-2011, 23:08
1. best footwear for an endeavor of this sort (mainly walking with some jogging)2. best energy snacks and drinks? If you have to ask you shouldnt even be thinking about doing it.

Iceaxe
11-09-2011, 00:27
1. best footwear for an endeavor of this sort (mainly walking with some jogging)
2. best energy snacks and drinks?

Trail runners or running shoes. They will most likely need to be replaced about every 500 miles.
I found fritos corn chips, spam, flour tortillas, nutella spread, and peanut butter to be my favorite power foods.

My AT hike this year was 100 days long.
Not because i was trying to go fast. It was just the result of the way i enjoy hiking.
I like to hike from sun up to sun down rain or shine.
Not to be a bada$s or beat a record.
The part of long distance hiking that I enjoy most is the hiking.
When i reach the end of the trail it's exciting but also a let down in a way.
The lifestyle of sweat, living in the weather, legs hammering up and down slopes constantly, it is over and i am sad for that.
This year Jennifer Pharr Davis aka Odyssa set her record, and she passed me on her second day out in the 100 mile wilderness.
She was just beginning her journey as I was completing mine.
It was raining heavily and i had just slipped in the mud.
I was cursing to myself but smiling when i looked up and saw her smiling back.
I appologized for my swearing and she replied: "Well, get ready to swear some more cause it's a lot worse back there."
I don't really know where I am trying to go with this post.
When i think of the effort it took, in total, to hike from Amicalola to Katahdin in 100 days and then think that she did it in 46 days..
That represents a truly amazing amount of effort on her part yet she still had time to smile and talk to a fellow hiker, if even for a moment.
The goal is important but being "okay" with what happens every step of the way towards that goal is paramount.
This is a really hard concept for me to relate because it was a lesson it took me 17 years to learn between my first wild attempt at a thru hike in 1992 and my first actual completion in 2009.
The reason I thought I would like hiking a long distance hike in 1992 was not the same reason I found it so fulfilling in 2009, 10 and 11.
I thought is would be about sunshine and rainbows.. it turned out to be the simple act of walking.

Mags
11-09-2011, 01:49
I thought is would be about sunshine and rainbows.. it turned out to be the simple act of walking.

That's just awesome. Succinctly sums up the addiction for many of us...

map man
11-09-2011, 23:46
Hey, Iceaxe, that's the best post I've read on WB for quite a while.

JJJ
11-09-2011, 23:51
Hey, Iceaxe, that's the best post I've read on WB for quite a while.
ditto...."

Lone Wolf
11-10-2011, 01:38
The reason I thought I would like hiking a long distance hike in 1992 was not the same reason I found it so fulfilling in 2009, 10 and 11.
I thought is would be about sunshine and rainbows.. it turned out to be the simple act of walking.kinda how i feel...

Marta
11-10-2011, 08:32
Awesome post, Iceaxe!

Ggman, your post should be required reading for would-be speed hikers who have never done even a slow hike before.

Jennifer's hiking career should also be instructive to would-be speed hikers. She didn't just wake up from a nap one day and decide to set the record, knowing that she, of the people who have ever set out to hike the AT had the most grit, the most determination, the strongest will. She possesses all those attributes, but that's not the whole story. The record-setting hike last year was the culmination of years of training, planning, and experience. She has been advised over the years by the Grey Eminance of the AT, Warren Doyle. Among other things, he advised her to go for a record on a shorter trail before attempting a record on the AT. Which she did.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but it's really important to walk the walk, at least a little bit, before talking the talk.

The Walker
11-10-2011, 12:05
I can't wait. I'm becoming elderly. Thus, I can't train for years. No sense to put too many extra miles on the old knees before the adventure.

The Walker
11-10-2011, 12:10
4 hours at 4 miles per hour = 16 miles
1 hour rest
4 hours at 4 miles per hour = 16 miles
1 hour rest
5 hours at 3 miles per hour = 15 miles

total: 47 miles over 15 hours ( 4am to 7pm )

Storm
11-10-2011, 12:12
I can't wait. I'm becoming elderly. Thus, I can't train for years. No sense to put too many extra miles on the old knees before the adventure.

You are becoming elderly? Sounds like bull, I'll probably farther and faster.

Storm
11-10-2011, 12:14
Please insert the word HIKE, must be the old age. lol

The Walker
11-10-2011, 12:25
1. Any advice on best brand of trail runner for the terrain and mileage?
2. Hiking poles or not?
3. Socks? Not a big fan of them with the sweat issue.

Planning to bring my Anatolian Shepherd along for those longer sections so she can carry my supplies.

For the under 6 mile sections, I likely won't even carry water. Going to tank up.

Pedaling Fool
11-10-2011, 12:49
I'm confused. In your OP you say you doubt that you could average 30mpd, leaving me thinking you're just going to do an unsupported speed hike with the only intent of seeing just how fast you can do it. Then in post 10 you say you're going to do a supported speed hike, but you're not even sure you can best the best unsupported time. So why go to the trouble and expense of a supported speed hike?OP you never answered my question. However, after reading your other posts I'm starting to think this is all a joke. I mean a literal joke as in you're screwing around with us.

The Walker
11-10-2011, 14:56
Hi John. I would like it to be supported, but the devil is in the details. For myself, I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. As far as the 30 miles, I was just saying that I could do 30 each day with support (as lots of folks could), but it's those extra miles (17) that cut into rest time and cause extra wear and tear on the body. So I am going to slowly build up the exercise routine mixing in hills and flats and jogging and walking. The advantages I do have are great weather, varied terrain (the PCT is just up the hill from the town), and school cutbacks have this math teacher working half days. I was joking about the shepherd, but I kind of like the idea.

takethisbread
11-10-2011, 17:17
Usually speed hikers have this stuff meticulously planned. I think hiking at a 4 mph seems high. Hey. Best of luck. I'm not sure California is the best training ground, as the hiking those trails is a lot different and in many cases easier, but hey you are from Maine you know what you are getting into. Personally I like that we have the title holder we have now, because she is a AT person and not one of these ultra marathoner types who are using the trail for recognition of their acclaim. I feel Mrs Davis record reflects honor on the trail. Jmo. Good luck and have fun

Feral Bill
11-10-2011, 17:44
I may have missed someting, but I don't see where the OP is looking for a record, just a speed hike. Not my thing but probably much more realistic.

Marta
11-10-2011, 18:38
I may have missed someting, but I don't see where the OP is looking for a record, just a speed hike. Not my thing but probably much more realistic.He says he's thinking about a supported hike, and asks if LW is interested in helping him. I suggest that supported hikers are either serious record contenders, able to spend lots of $$$ to buy support, or trail personalities who have lots of friends who want to pay them back.

BabySue
11-10-2011, 20:41
I commend "The Walker" for his congenial interaction in light of the numerous comments, questions, and doubts expressed in this thread.

The Walker
11-10-2011, 20:42
It definitely would be helpful to have a large group of close friends, endurance athletes, and family to help out, but I shall just rely on paying for support at the beginning and maybe draw a few people in as I go along. People will support you if they think you have a reasonable chance. I mentioned LW since I have seen him crew and he is excellent. Maybe I can drag Maineak off Mount Desert Island for some help in New England when encouragement will truly be needed.

Kookork
11-10-2011, 20:55
No expert on Speed hiking but Jennifer P Davis put his great record up on her third Thru attempt if I am not wrong.

It s not quite impossible for somebody to come out of nowhere and break her record but it is quite remote.

You can start to talk about just breaking any records on the book but first you need to put some thought behind it my dear fellow hiker.
If you run 100 meters in less than 9.5 seconds you are a champion but if you run it in 12 seconds nobody even will mention it . It is like your 30 to 47 mile difference bro, There is a huge difference between these two numbers.

It was not funny for me nor a joke you talk about Anatholian Shepperd and then you say It is a joke. But I hope you just joke with us here and take a speed thru-hike no joke while there.

Take this journey a pilot speed hike for yourself like what JPD did and see how it goes.

Good luck Anyway

The Walker
11-11-2011, 14:44
No expert on Speed hiking but Jennifer P Davis put his great record up on her third Thru attempt if I am not wrong.

It s not quite impossible for somebody to come out of nowhere and break her record but it is quite remote.

You can start to talk about just breaking any records on the book but first you need to put some thought behind it my dear fellow hiker.
If you run 100 meters in less than 9.5 seconds you are a champion but if you run it in 12 seconds nobody even will mention it . It is like your 30 to 47 mile difference bro, There is a huge difference between these two numbers.

It was not funny for me nor a joke you talk about Anatholian Shepperd and then you say It is a joke. But I hope you just joke with us here and take a speed thru-hike no joke while there.

Take this journey a pilot speed hike for yourself like what JPD did and see how it goes.

Good luck Anyway

Time for some hillin'. And no, I shall not be training for a 9.49 hundred meter time.

The Walker
11-11-2011, 14:46
Anybody out there have any opinion on some good altimeters? Something I can use to challenge myself. Might be a nice Christmas present.

Thanks to all veterans!

hikerboy57
11-11-2011, 15:52
dont see why you'd need an altimeter.you still need to make miles regardless, and itskind of like counting how many miles left to go, it just makes it feel longer.I hiked up garfield alongside a guy with one, and it was driving me:banana. every 2 minutes he would state our altitude, and how much higher we needed to climb. pretty annoying way to cap off a 14 mile day, forget about your p[planned 30 mile days.

The Walker
11-11-2011, 19:17
Planning on 4 am to 9 pm hiking days and not necessarily ending each day at a road crossing. Nothing worse than stopping short and then having to do those miles the next day.

ezNomad
11-12-2011, 03:33
The Walker - I'm in San Diego too, training for AT 2012 NOBO. Just curious where you are training near here?

The Walker
11-12-2011, 11:58
Borrego Springs

The Walker
11-12-2011, 13:08
I will be taking applications for my 2012 Speed Hike Support Team soon. Strong hikers willing to walk some miles with me would move you up the list.

Malto
11-12-2011, 18:44
I will be taking applications for my 2012 Speed Hike Support Team soon. Strong hikers willing to walk some miles with me would move you up the list.

How much does it pay?

The Walker
11-13-2011, 12:50
I have been honing my hiking plan. I shall pace myself somewhere between Jennifer's 3 miles per hour ( long hours) and Horton's 4 miles per hour ( shorter hours).

Even in rougher footing, 3.4 miles per hour over a whole day should be manageable. That makes 47.6 miles.

14 hours of activity leaves 10 hours of down time. Hopefully, that will be enough to recuperate. Not having to hike in the dark is also important. I don't mind it, but it does make things a little slower and takes more mental focus.

Time for some desert strolling.

Malto
11-13-2011, 15:22
Even in rougher footing, 3.4 miles per hour over a whole day should be manageable. That makes 47.6 miles.

Have you even done a single 47 mile day at that pace or even 47 miles in a day at any pace?

It is soooooooo easy to hike via spreadsheet, feet don't hurt, muscles don't get tired and you don't have to poo but it's much harder in reality. There are VERY few people that can maintain 3.4mph for even a single day let alone string multiples together. There is a reason JFD and Scott Williamson only maintains 3mph averages.

I have my own record breaking plan. I am going to shatter the AT record by hiking it in 17 days. I will run it at 6.7mph, 20 hours per day. At this pace I can finish in just over 16 days but I'm being conservative at 17 days. For all you non-believers out there, here is proof that I can do it:
1) I ran my first marathon at 6.7mph pace so I know I can do that speed.
2) I have hiked over 2654 miles so distance isn't an issue.
3) Once I stayed up 20 hours straight so the long days won't be a problem.
4) I have hiked over 16k in vertical gain in a day so the hills won't be a problem.

I also have several other things in my favor, I have learned by other ridiculous and unrealistic plans :
1) I will start June 13th so I have the longest days of the year and best weather.
2) Since I will be doing 134 mpd I will self support myself. I will pass through a resupply point nearly everyday that is close to the trail.
3) I'm going to shave my legs to reduce air drag.

I just need one thing, an appropriate trail name because Malto just won't cut it for an feat this epic. How about Flash, Speed, Warp, History? Any others?

hikerboy57
11-13-2011, 16:04
ive decided to speed hike to the moon, should be easier than the AT, once Ive gotten beyond the earths gravitational pull.Going to have to do it fully supplied as there are no maildrops.Im bringing a lot of Tang.I need advice as to whether I should use an internal or external pack.Im hoping for a passing asteroid to supply water, bringing a jet boil for both cooking and propulsion.anyone have a spare set of maps. Its getting the trip off the ground that seems to be an issue.

silverscuba22
11-13-2011, 16:14
ive decided to speed hike to the moon, should be easier than the AT, once Ive gotten beyond the earths gravitational pull.Going to have to do it fully supplied as there are no maildrops.Im bringing a lot of Tang.I need advice as to whether I should use an internal or external pack.Im hoping for a passing asteroid to supply water, bringing a jet boil for both cooking and propulsion.anyone have a spare set of maps. Its getting the trip off the ground that seems to be an issue.

External all the way, dont be one of those teen hipsters ultra-light moon goers, gotta go old school all the way

Slo-go'en
11-13-2011, 17:30
Have you even done a single 47 mile day at that pace or even 47 miles in a day at any pace?

Better yet, have you ever hiked any of the AT through Maine or NH and have any idea of the amount of effort it takes?

Kookork
11-13-2011, 18:52

Just for your information, This weekend I was on the moon. You cant thru hike to the moon. The trail would be close from Newmoonshire to Alien Shelter From Feb to August each year.

Roland
11-13-2011, 19:04
I just need one thing, an appropriate trail name because Malto just won't cut it for an feat this epic. How about Flash, Speed, Warp, History? Any others?

I can think of a few, but the censor won't let me post 'em.

Kookork
11-13-2011, 19:09
I just need one thing, an appropriate trail name because Malto just won't cut it for an feat this epic. How about Flash, Speed, Warp, History? Any others?[/QUOTE]

How about " ican". It is a good name since this type of speed just happens through internet as you mentioned.

Kookork
11-13-2011, 19:16
Walker ,

It seems you are peparing yourself by hiking on weekends. Did you try to implement your Time table on test during one of these training days? It needs walking in darkness but mileage is mileage. Gives you a taste of it.

Del Q
11-13-2011, 21:04
Fugetaboutit.............30 miles per day will be only good practice..........as humans we keep setting new bars/levels...............enjoy your hike

The Walker
11-13-2011, 21:10
Better yet, have you ever hiked any of the AT through Maine or NH and have any idea of the amount of effort it takes?

Yes, I know the effort required.

The Walker
11-13-2011, 21:16
Walker ,

It seems you are peparing yourself by hiking on weekends. Did you try to implement your Time table on test during one of these training days? It needs walking in darkness but mileage is mileage. Gives you a taste of it.

I'm training during the week also. Yes, walking in darkness might be a requirement, but there are about 16 hours of daylight in the summer and I would expect this to occur very rarely south of New England.

The Walker
11-16-2011, 00:41
Training Status Report #1:

I walked short days ( 3 to 5 miles) for 9 out of the last 11 days at a decent pace. Yesterday, I included about a 1000' of fairly steep vertical. I have been alternating between flats and climbing. I will start to incorporate some running this next week and see how that goes.

My diet is starting to improve with more veggies and fruit smoothies. I'm looking to drop about 15 pounds.

Marta
11-16-2011, 07:02
Here's the bad new--That's about how I trained in order to do a six-month thru-hike. As a matter of fact, that's how I "train" year in and year out. I call it "keeping in moderately good shape," that is, being just above the level of a couch potato. Not the program of a world-class athlete, or even a middle school cross country runner.

Training Status Report #1:I walked short days ( 3 to 5 miles) for 9 out of the last 11 days at a dece. nt pace. Yesterday, I included about a 1000' of fairly steep vertical. I have been alternating between flats and climbing. I will start to incorporate some running this next week and see how that goes. My diet is starting to improve with more veggies and fruit smoothies. I'm looking to drop about 15 pounds.

stranger
11-16-2011, 08:23
Maybe post an update when you do your first 200 mile week, until then...

The Walker
11-16-2011, 11:45
Here's the bad new--That's about how I trained in order to do a six-month thru-hike. As a matter of fact, that's how I "train" year in and year out. I call it "keeping in moderately good shape," that is, being just above the level of a couch potato. Not the program of a world-class athlete, or even a middle school cross country runner.

Well, that is my first few days, I've got over half a year to prepare. Also, a speed hike is not necessarily like a pack-carrying thru-hike. Only one thing to concentrate on during a supported speed hike and that is walking.

As far as "world class athletes", I think it rather takes "world class effort". Since the hike is at such a slow pace, I'm not sure "world class athletes" are required. It's more of a slow-twitch effort and most folks fall into that category.

Now, to get my weight below 247 shall be key.

The Walker
11-16-2011, 11:49
Maybe post an update when you do your first 200 mile week, until then...

I have read that ultra runners who train for 50 milers do 8-10 miles a day with like a 30 thrown in once a week. They don't come close to doing the mileage in training that the race entails. I know this multi-day endurance endeavor is different so I would like your thoughts. Thanks.

DavidNH
11-16-2011, 12:08
reality check:
You are 46 it isn't now or never. You can always do something now or later You could hike the trail in your 60's or 70's providing you don't get injured beforehand.

Now as to speed. Averaging 30 miles per day for a couple days can be done and is done by some. Averaging 30 miles per day almost every day from Springer to Katahdin with minimal time off? Not a chance. practice hikes in the desert is better than nothing but wont be enough. Days of rain (which WILL happen) will slow you down. Every super fast hiker I met in 2006 on the AT either got off trail early (most of them) or balanced out with more time off.

max patch
11-16-2011, 12:13
I don't mind doing longer days, and have repeatedly hiked back-to-back 25's and 27's, with the odd 30 thrown in for good measure. For me, there is a huge difference between 25 miles and 30 miles, but not a big difference between 21-25 for example.

I've noticed the same thing.

max patch
11-16-2011, 12:21
I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.

46 years old
no experience
not in hiking shape
247 pounds.

0% chance.

Malto
11-16-2011, 12:40
I have read that ultra runners who train for 50 milers do 8-10 miles a day with like a 30 thrown in once a week. They don't come close to doing the mileage in training that the race entails. I know this multi-day endurance endeavor is different so I would like your thoughts. Thanks.

Speed hiking and Ultras are very different critters (as I'm now learning) With speed hiking you have to account for the multiple day aspect of the attempt. I believe that you have to be able to comfortably do 150% of your average expected daily mileage to account for the day to day impact (with the expected elevation profile of your trip.) On my hike I was planning a 30mpd average and could easily do a 45 mile day prior to leaving. Also, you can't plan to hike the average, there will be days that you have to do more to offset lower mile days. That is why my daily target mileage was 10-20% higher than the trip average needs to be and another reason for my 150% training target.

The 3-5 mile hikes are IMHO a waste of time UNLESS you need them to build up to hike the longer miles. (If that's the case then even thinking a record is naive.) It will be the long daily hikes of 30+ miles that will build you up and teach you the failure modes of the long days. As far as what it takes to do a 47 mpd average, I doubt there is anybody on this site that can begin to address what is needed for that.

takethisbread
11-16-2011, 13:49
I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.46 years oldno experiencenot in hiking shape247 pounds.0% chance.Some hikers can bang it out at heavier weights. I've certainly hiked with some dudes who can bang 3.5 mph out all day . Over 7 weeks is another matter of course. I think good for this guy. It gives him something to shoot for, I think actually the lack Appalachian training will hurt him more. Getting used to dealing with the lack of path, trip hazards, the wetness and rain, the short steep climbs, that differ so greatly from his training on the PCT's turf. Let's hope he gets in shape in the next few months, bangs out 15-20mpd has a great time, and improves to a point where he can take a stab maybe again. The AT is a tough speed trail. Weather can be so unpredictable. We all remember a couple years back when it rained like 24 out of 30 days in June in the northeast. Nobody breaks records in weather like that. Dry=big milesThis past summer was very dry. I think this guy will have fun, he seems enthusiastic even if a bit unrealistic.But I do love his "couch potato" training regimen. Marta was right on. It's basically what I do to make sure that I can do a 15 mile day when I go do a weekender. Hilarity

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2011, 14:31
Well, that is my first few days, I've got over half a year to prepare. Also, a speed hike is not necessarily like a pack-carrying thru-hike. Only one thing to concentrate on during a supported speed hike and that is walking. As far as "world class athletes", I think it rather takes "world class effort".
1/2 a year just isn't enough time for someone who hasn't spent a lifetime in this type of discipline. As has already been said before, looks easy on paper and it's true numbers don't lie, but they sure as hell like to trick the s**t out of us. It it was as easy as it seems on paper more people would be doing it.

Since the hike is at such a slow pace, I'm not sure "world class athletes" are required. It's more of a slow-twitch effort and most folks fall into that category. The issue of fast/slow twitch muscles doesn't really come into play, even for world class athletes like Speedgoat... You really should read the link below. There are so many other things you'll have to worry about and which muscles are twitching isn't really a big concern here, especially at your current level. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/06/09/fast-twitch-vs-slow-twitch-what-kind-of-muscles-do-you-want/

BTW, I still think this is a joke, but nothing else really of interest going on here, so what the hell...

Please save me from going back over the posts and answer a couple questions:
When do you plan to start?
Direction?
Goal, i.e. how much time to you think it will take?

Marta
11-16-2011, 17:14
I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.46 years oldno experiencenot in hiking shape247 pounds.0% chance.I'm hoping the supported speed hiking thing is a joke. Otherwise he's definitely delusional. With six months to prepare he could probably get himself in reasonable shape to attempt a normal thru, although it's cutting it close. Muscle strength comes on fairly quickly. Hard tissue takes at least six months to develop the toughness it needs to avoid hike-ending injury. An awful lot of the 75-80% who drop off the trail during their thru attempts find that out the painful way.

The Walker
11-16-2011, 19:25
I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.

46 years old
no experience
not in hiking shape
247 pounds.

0% chance.

No experience? Do you mean hiking on the AT or in endurance events?

The Walker
11-16-2011, 20:05
1/2 a year just isn't enough time for someone who hasn't spent a lifetime in this type of discipline. As has already been said before, looks easy on paper and it's true numbers don't lie, but they sure as hell like to trick the s**t out of us. It it was as easy as it seems on paper more people would be doing it.

The issue of fast/slow twitch muscles doesn't really come into play, even for world class athletes like Speedgoat... You really should read the link below. There are so many other things you'll have to worry about and which muscles are twitching isn't really a big concern here, especially at your current level. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/06/09/fast-twitch-vs-slow-twitch-what-kind-of-muscles-do-you-want/

BTW, I still think this is a joke, but nothing else really of interest going on here, so what the hell...

Please save me from going back over the posts and answer a couple questions:
When do you plan to start?
Direction?
Goal, i.e. how much time to you think it will take?

I shall read the link you provided.

start somewhere between July 1 and August 1

probably northward

goal: 45 days 23 hours and 59 minutes

stranger
11-16-2011, 20:34

I absolutely agree, you don't train for X by doing X per say, so if your goal is to average 10 miles per day you might train by doing 3, getting your body used to work and building strength, muscle and indurance, then throw in a 5, 8, etc.... A 200 mile week is a very good training tool for what you are doing, 28 miles per day, for 7 days. That's about 65% of what you plan on doing = 47 miles per day. I would never suggest you need to be averaging 47 miles per day in training, that's not training...that's doing the real thing. However 'doing the 200' is something that very, very few hikers have done, a tiny minority of hikers...completing 200 miles in one week would be a good test.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2011, 20:36
start somewhere between July 1 and August 1

probably northward

goal: 45 days 23 hours and 59 minutes hahaha :banana

The Walker
11-16-2011, 21:10
LW, what's your per day support fee? By the way, I remember you and Maineak coming down a mountain just west of the Height of Land near Rangeley back in 91. I had met Horton earlier in the day. And the support effort for Maineak and then Ed and Pete in 98 on the Long Trail was interesting.

The Walker
11-16-2011, 21:12
Thanks for the information. I will gradually bring up the mileage and difficulty.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2011, 21:15
LW, what's your per day support fee? By the way, I remember you and Maineak coming down a mountain just west of the Height of Land near Rangeley back in 91. I had met Horton earlier in the day. And the support effort for Maineak and then Ed and Pete in 98 on the Long Trail was interesting.fee? beer and food

BabySue
11-16-2011, 21:45
Again, The Walker is to be commended for consistently congenial replies. I conjecture that he has a large family, is a middle child, and earned a degree in Public Relations.

DavidNH
11-16-2011, 23:29
You plant to start at Springer sometime in July. That gives you a max of two months, possibly less.

I'm sorry but I think you should adjust your plans. You aren't going to get all the way to Katahdin in two months or less. Frankly, I think you are either nuts or just plain ignorant of what awaits you, probably both.

stranger
11-17-2011, 01:27
I say start at Springer on May 1st....try to reach Pearisburg in 25 days (25mpd average) and see how that goes. You accomplish that, head back to Springer and attempt the unsupported record.

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2011, 07:49
No experience? Do you mean hiking on the AT or in endurance events?What is your experience, AT and otherwise?

The Walker
11-17-2011, 11:21
I say start at Springer on May 1st....try to reach Pearisburg in 25 days (25mpd average) and see how that goes. You accomplish that, head back to Springer and attempt the unsupported record.

Something like that sounds like a good plan.

hikerboy57
11-17-2011, 21:01
Just give us a trail journal somewhat more informative than Matthew Huffman's.I'd love to read about your completion and losing 100 lbs along the way.

LDog
11-17-2011, 21:48
1. Any advice on best brand of trail runner for the terrain and mileage?
2. Hiking poles or not?
3. Socks? Not a big fan of them with the sweat issue.

Planning to bring my Anatolian Shepherd along for those longer sections so she can carry my supplies.

For the under 6 mile sections, I likely won't even carry water. Going to tank up.

Oh, I get it ... He's a troll! It's the only logical explanation.

hikerboy57
11-17-2011, 21:55
it would be a great strategy if water sources were only 6 miles apart. there are so many holes in this ambitious plan, so Ill wait for the trip report.Im sure the shepherd will be happy to carry his supplies some 40 miles a day.maybe 10k can rescue his dog.

Malto
11-17-2011, 22:06
it would be a great strategy if water sources were only 6 miles apart. there are so many holes in this ambitious plan, so Ill wait for the trip report.Im sure the shepherd will be happy to carry his supplies some 40 miles a day.maybe 10k can rescue his dog.

Come on, pay attention!!! He was only joking about the shepherd. But the rest of it is for real.

The Walker
11-17-2011, 22:38
Come on, pay attention!!! He was only joking about the shepherd. But the rest of it is for real.

There is one other thing I was joking about and that is ......

Malto
11-17-2011, 22:45
There is one other thing I was joking about and that is ......

...... that you're going to hike the AT?

The Walker
11-17-2011, 23:07
...... that you're going to hike the AT?

No, the weight!

By the way, you ever tried beet juice for endurance?