PDA

View Full Version : re: usage of mail drops

DLANOIE
03-02-2005, 21:50
is it feasable to do a thru hike without the use of any maildrops?
and could anyone explain how they work exactly?!
im not sure how to plan for them....

weary
03-02-2005, 22:46
It's possible. But I suspect most long distance hikers get mail drops, at least occasionally.

Depending on when you start, but winter and early spring conditions exist in the south through April. After a bit most will send back winter clothing and get summer clothing. The easiest way to do this for most is via the mail.

Wingfoot's The Thru-Hiker Handbook, and the Companion list the addresses of Post Offices along the trail. Just have someone at home send whatever you want addressed to yourself to those post offices, and mark on the box: "Please hold for thru hiker." Most trail town postmasters are cooperative and will hold a package for weeks. But it is best and safest to have someone at home send the package a couple of weeks before your expected arrival.

The package can contain whatever it may be that you decide you want: maps, gear, food, medicines, toilet articles, whatever.

Think also about a "bounce box" that you send to yourself from post offices along the trail to post offices further up the trail. This can contain soap for laundry, medicine, extra food, battery chargers, whatever.

You plan for mail drops by guessing how many miles a day you are likely to walk and how many days of food and gear you will want to carry. Then using one or both of the guidebooks you figure out what towns you are likely to be near when you are likely to want supplies.

Food can be bought easily along most of the trail, and purchase along the trail is getting easier. But it depends on your tastes and desires. Supplies are skimpy in some towns.

This is a very basic start on a somewhat complicated subject.

Weary

DLANOIE
03-02-2005, 23:15
Weary,

thanx this is a great start for me and is a very complicated subject. :D

rocket04
03-03-2005, 02:16
It can be done, I did it in '04 and I assume many others have done it. But if I thru-hiked again, I would probably do a couple, one in Fontana Dam (just in case, I had no problems but some say it all depends on timing) and one in Port Clinton. But do some searches and you'll probably find other posts asking this same question along with quality answers.

chris
03-03-2005, 11:01
The first mail drop I'd send would be to Port Clinton, although some people like to send one to Fontana, particularly during the busy season, and to Harpers Ferry.

I'd just show up at Springer with 3 days of food and hike to Walasi-Yi. Then, buy at NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Erwin, and Damascus. You can break up the Walasi-Yi to NOC and Fontana to Erwin legs if you like to hitch.

See http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/at04/resupply.html for a brief blurb about resupplying from Damascus north.

Footslogger
03-03-2005, 11:56
My primary approach to mail drops in planning for my thru in 2003 was based on availability of food. After going through the preparation and supporting my wife during her thru in 2001 I realized that I wanted a "food maildrop" in 3 places along the trail:

Harpers Ferry, WV
Bear Mountain, NY
Glencliff, NH

I made the distinction of "food maildrops" because I did receive boxes from time to time from my wife and friends but those were either my maps/guidbook pages or a box of goodies.

If I was hiking the trail again I would use the exact same approach for food drops and buy the rest as I went from grocery and convenient stores along the way.

'Slogger
AT 2003

DLANOIE
03-05-2005, 00:39
wow, what alot of great advice! thank you very much for your help and great support. I am soooo appreciative of having this site. I hope that when I do my thru hike I will later be as able to help people out too. Thanx again everybody, Im sure I will have plenty more questions in the near future! :) P.S> happy and safe hiking everybody!!

owl
03-28-2005, 01:23
well Mail drops are not always nessesary some towns have plenty of everything you need and postage or parcel service can be expensive, but if you use a mail drop I do not suggest general delivery try to find a local business or lodging to accept package that way if you get to town on sunday or holiday you will still be able to retrive the package. i would use drop packages for specaial neeeds like medication or special foods not easy to find

Bearpaw
03-29-2005, 18:23
"is it feasable to do a thru hike without the use of any maildrops?
im not sure how to plan for them...."

It is possible to hike the whole trail without maildrops BUT.....

A half dozen maildrops for maps, guidebooks, prescription items (like contact lenses), hard to get items (like slide film or digital photo cards), and change of gear (Sleeping bags and warmer/cooler clothing in particular) are very helpful along the way.

In areas along the trail where resupply options are a bit more scarce, you can build a maildrop enroute. You can resupply in Duncannon for the leg to Port Clinton, and while there you can also buy a resupply from Port Clinton to Del Gap and mail it ahead to the Port Clinton Post Office. You save money on postage, and don't have to worry about a mail drop you packed 3 months prior.

Unless you have some special dietary restrictions, like being lactose intolerant or vegan or kosher, you can pretty conveniently resupply along the way.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2005, 19:16
There is a good deal of information on maildrops and re-supply possibilities in the Articles section of this website.

Two Winds '97
04-09-2005, 05:12
The Dam, PC, and maybe one more drop out there, but don't spend money, and time, buying stuff and then paying to mail to yourself. It's like buying it twice. BTW, there is no needs for maps on the trail. The current guide book will work and use old pages for TP or just burn 'em. The notion of mail drops is WAY overrated.

Lone Wolf
04-09-2005, 07:39
Not wise to hike without maps.