PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a hike in a month or two

phaedrus
11-07-2011, 04:25
Currently in Baltimore so the AT is a little out of my league for this time of year. But I am needing a two to three moth hike somewhere down south where I may be able to get along with my standard three season gear with minimal additions for winter time. Ideally located in the south east US, but willing to travel t make this work. Everything has lined up except it is now winter. I am not prepared to do a cold weather winter hike, but I have gear for shoulder season hiking. Amy suggestions would be appreciated. Been gearing up for an AT run (section not a full through) Are there any quality trails with supply points down south I could cover w/o having to deal with a full on winter hike. I have been gearing up pver the past year and an very close to completion but life circumstances have afforded me this window of opportunity I do not want to miss. Not sure when the stars will allign again to make this possible.
There is more to the story why this needs to happen soon, just wish it wasn't freakin November. My gear is good down below freezing ad mileage is not a goal. I will be fine making 5-10 miles a day. It is the time out there i need. Suggestions, guidance and help would be appreciated. I've ;urked on here for over a year, pickiing up knowledge gear and enthusiasm. Ill post my gear list soon for the appropriate check down. I am going heavy (cost and what I already own) since time is more important than distance on this journey.

Cookerhiker
11-07-2011, 08:07
Since you do not want (are not prepared for) a winter conditions hike, that rules out the AT. Sounds like you might want to consider the Florida Trail. I'm not personally familiar with the FT but why don't you check out the threads in "Other Trails" forums?

Another possibility might by Alabama's Pinhoti Trail but again, I'm not familiar with it. It's further south with lower elevations than the AT so perhaps the winter weather isn't too bad.

Good luck!

bigcranky
11-07-2011, 08:21
Florida Trail. It's a national scenic trail best done in the winter. I have limited experience there, having done a single week-long section a few years ago, but it was a blast. You'll want Sandra Friend's guidebook (at this link (http://www.amazon.com/Florida-Trail-Official-Hiking-Guide/dp/1565794923/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320668375&sr=1-3)), as the FT is somewhat different from the AT in how you handle the logistics.

bigcranky
11-07-2011, 08:23
Whoops, skip that Aamazon link and just go to the FT website at http://www.floridatrail.org/. That's where I got the book and lots of information for our hike.