PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Geos of water locations.

Albeham
11-07-2011, 10:29
Hello all.

Taking the Scout Troop out and would like to download geos of knowen water sources along the trail.

Where can I find them?

AL

dzierzak
11-09-2011, 12:22
Where?

The Thru-Hikers Companion has listings of available water. THC is available from ATC or ALDHA.

jlb2012
11-09-2011, 12:39
I think the OP was looking for a listing of GPS coords for water sources - THC does not provide coords unless it has changed in the last couple years

I don't know of any source for coordinates of water sources on the AT other than the obvious coords for the shelters and the shelters usually have a water source nearby

dzierzak
11-09-2011, 13:32
You're probably right - I just couldn't get around the "geos". Also correct THC doesn't have GPS coords. Even the shelters don't all have water nearby. The closest to GPS coords that I know of is the ATC shelter waypoint data which is available on the ATC site under "Mapping and GIS Data".

ed

veteran
11-10-2011, 07:55
Go to this site (http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/index.php), click on a shelter and the coordinates are in the upper right corner

booney_1
11-10-2011, 09:55
The Appalachian Trail Conference Maps show some water sources. Their guide books are also very helpful. Some springs can be hard to find, and the guide book is good at giving directions. If you know what shelters you are going to you can also ask this forum. In the summer there are some stretches that become dry. People often ask here about water conditions for a specific stretch...

Hikes in Rain
11-10-2011, 10:16
Google Earth's Trimble Tours can also provide the coordinates of some of the water sources. At least the ones the tour "guides" notice.

Kerosene
11-10-2011, 10:20
Perhaps this could be an Eagle Scout project (or 6!) for your troop? They could review the guidebooks, interview maintainers, track down the less obvious or intermittent sources, and provide the data to the ATC and hiking community?

Fredt4
11-10-2011, 10:25
If you can use a gpx file I have one.