PDA

View Full Version : Hiking while drawing Unemployment Compensation

BobTheBuilder
11-07-2011, 12:47
Am I off-base here? I suspect the answer is that I am just getting old, but here's the story:

I was out on a section hike recently and spent a night at a shelter with some SOBO's in their early 20's. I was impressed with their physical abilities, commitment to completing, etc., but then one of them remarked that he was financing his hike by collecting unemployment. In fact, his unemployment had stopped one time and he was mad that he had to have his mom send in a few job applications for him while he kept hiking so he could start getting checks again.

I know the economy is tough, but nobody is going to find a job while walking on a ridgeline in Virginia. This chapped me in a way that BodyGlide couldn't fix. Am I wrong?

Old Hiker
11-07-2011, 12:50
Nope. That's what's going wrong with America today. 99 weeks of unemployment?? Yikes. early 20's and no job, but unemployment? Yikes x2. Relying on mommy to send you apps? Priceless.

IrishBASTARD
11-07-2011, 12:57
Perhaps you are wrong...it is after all "Hike your own hike". Truthfully this kid was dumb for no other reason then bragging...you could have been a fed for all he knew. You have no Right also to tell him how he would spend his money...if that were true we would be the "USSA" Not the USA. Besides he was floating the economy in his own way...regardless of your disapproval.

coach lou
11-07-2011, 12:59
And we 50 somethings are hoping are hiking muscles hold up till retirement, he just needs that check to replace his gear to go occupy wall street.

hobby
11-07-2011, 13:11
Perhaps you are wrong...it is after all "Hike your own hike". Truthfully this kid was dumb for no other reason then bragging...you could have been a fed for all he knew. You have no Right also to tell him how he would spend his money...if that were true we would be the "USSA" Not the USA. Besides he was floating the economy in his own way...regardless of your disapproval.

these are the types that won't pay at hostles, etc. Expecting that the world owes them a living. Gives the rest of us a bad rep in towns........
Maybe his mom can cast his vote for the incumbent so he can keep hiking while getting free stuff
he's hiking and I'm working---- go figure!

greenmtnboy
11-07-2011, 13:14
Not a responsible way to live. It depends on the state laws, but every state I know requires you to fill out a form periodically to stay on the gravy train. There is no free lunch, folks. We reap what we sow. I guess there is decent paying work out there somewhere. Utah? Take what you can get, and then use that humble position as a positive for your next job. Many jobs are not "fun", that is why it is called "work". HR looks over resumes carefully to see what kind of person they will be spending resources on. If it is someone who will head for the exits at the first bit of trouble, they won't give him/her a chance.

IrishBASTARD
11-07-2011, 13:17
Last time I checked the complaints about people not paying included "Papa smurf" certainly not someone of a young age. Though the more I look at the issues and the condemning of this kid...it strikes be everyone is over forty or close to it. Perhaps age discrimination is the right word here. Age is not relevent I have met plenty of fifty something hikers on trail...who were pricks and kids who were cool as hell. Its many more issues then just saying the world owes them something...our generation is rock solid...it was yours who screwed the pooch aka the Government is failing on your watch not our own. Perhaps reflect in the people of a generation instead of...lumping one bad apple with a whole bunch.

ChinMusic
11-07-2011, 13:26
I know the economy is tough, but nobody is going to find a job while walking on a ridgeline in Virginia. This chapped me in a way that BodyGlide couldn't fix. Am I wrong?
I don't know if I could have contained myself. I would like to think I would have kept my words to myself......but it would have been hard.

tdoczi
11-07-2011, 13:29

except the money he is spending doesnt sound like it is his money at all. and let me reply to the reply i'm sure youll give me-
a) being young i doubt hes worked enough to contribute much of anything, so the money he is collecting is not him getting back what hes put in.
b) hes not REALLY looking for work, so he is therefore not following the rules and receiving the money fraudulently.

coach lou
11-07-2011, 13:40
I do know that this 50 something responder has worked since he was 16, except the 4 years serving my country. My 27 year old hasn't been on the AT since he was 13.... but, he's been woking since 16 also. I guess when you've been working for as long as most of us responders, who only can dream of taking the time off to thru, you get alittle testie at welfare cheats!

XCskiNYC
11-07-2011, 13:51
Am I off-base here? I suspect the answer is that I am just getting old, but here's the story:

I was out on a section hike recently and spent a night at a shelter with some SOBO's in their early 20's. I was impressed with their physical abilities, commitment to completing, etc., but then one of them remarked that he was financing his hike by collecting unemployment. In fact, his unemployment had stopped one time and he was mad that he had to have his mom send in a few job applications for him while he kept hiking so he could start getting checks again.

If it makes you feel any better, the unemployment insurance payments are fully taxable income and have been seen as such by the IRS since the mid 80's.

rsmout
11-07-2011, 13:54
Let's see... felony fraud; taxpayer money, not his; floating the economy - more likely his kidneys at stops in towns. Sounds more like a lifestyle than a hike. No age distinction in this picture. The indignation is appropriate. Scammers don't deserve our admiration; they certainly don't admire the rest of us.

Feral Bill
11-07-2011, 14:15
On the other hand, I expect that the great majority of people on unemployment are searching for work, some desperately, and that damn few are using the checks to vacation on the trail or elsewhere.

hikerboy57
11-07-2011, 14:22
its a great strategy. Hike on benefits(at our expense). finish the hike, come off the trail to no job, benefits have run out. great strategy.
youth is wasted on the young.

bamboo bob
11-07-2011, 14:25
I hiked with a VET one year who was getting VA disability for a back injury. Great guy, but I always thought he was ripping off the system.

hikerboy57
11-07-2011, 14:27
i give the vets a pass. we owe them a lot more than disability.

SmokeEater
11-07-2011, 14:33
Amen to that!

Nutbrown
11-07-2011, 14:36
i give the vets a pass. we owe them a lot more than disability.

I'm with you on this one. I didn't serve, and respect those that choose to. They did a job for us whilst I sat on my butt in whatever cushie job I had/have. I'll give em a part of my tax $ for doing that for me.

hobby
11-07-2011, 14:44
If it makes you feel any better, the unemployment insurance payments are fully taxable income and have been seen as such by the IRS since the mid 80's.

doesn't matter if it is 'taxable income' He's still going to be in the 49% that doesn't pay any federal income tax!
---but I'm not paying my 'fair share'??

Rain Man
11-07-2011, 14:54
I see the indignation and sanctimony Mode is On HIGH in this thread, to the extent that it may be violating our Terms of Service here and there.

Rain Man

Gray Blazer
11-07-2011, 15:28
Good grief!

beakerman
11-07-2011, 15:29

See yoru mistake is calling it his money. That money is mine, Bob's and presumably your's since I assume you collect a paycheck and pay taxes. This kid is being very unethical in what he is doing and I would have called it in...I'm that guy. Go ahead and HYOH but do it on your dine not mine. I can't get funds together to take 6 months off to hike and this clown has the audacity to do it on my tax dollars?! and yo uthink its ok...lord help us no wonder my great-grand-kids are already screwed....

WingedMonkey
11-07-2011, 15:31
How many of you are typing out you indignation while getting paid for being "at work"?

:p

bfayer
11-07-2011, 15:59
I think the part about Mom sending him applications says it all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ewker
11-07-2011, 16:04
A few yrs ago during a section hike I passed a guy using his cell phone. Later on that evening I found out he was doing a job interview while on the trail.

Hobbler
11-07-2011, 16:11
Yes, there seems to be some entitlement issues here.

In most states, there is the requirement to be "available for" and "actively seeking employment" to be able to collect unemployment benefits. That means sending applications or resumes and going on interviews if invited to by any prospective employer.

I am all for the enjoyment of the trail but not financing a complete thru while collecting unemployment and skirting the responsibility to "check in" and do the required stuff...Maybe ok to do a few sections but not 3-5 months.

Slo-go'en
11-07-2011, 16:15
I think it is better that he is going hiking and spending the money in trail towns, rathier then sitting around the house doing nothing like many unemployed. At least some of the money he's getting comes from the payments made by his employer to the fund and one can argue that was part of his wages. Also, to collect unemployement you have to be laid off, so he didn't loose his job by choice.

Technically, what he's doing is illegal, but if it's moral or not is a much harder question to answer.

trailangelbronco
11-07-2011, 16:25
I have hiked on Unemployment before. Two month stretch. I knew that I had a job coming when I got out of the Army, drew unemployment and hit the trails for two months, living off of the checks.

Got back home, got the new job and went back to work. And I do not feel guilty for it one bit.

hikerboy57
11-07-2011, 16:26
I have hiked on Unemployment before. Two month stretch. I knew that I had a job coming when I got out of the Army, drew unemployment and hit the trails for two months, living off of the checks.

Got back home, got the new job and went back to work. And I do not feel guilty for it one bit.thank you for your service.

Snowleopard
11-07-2011, 16:26
A few yrs ago during a section hike I passed a guy using his cell phone. Later on that evening I found out he was doing a job interview while on the trail.
A lot of the work of job search can be done online with cell phone/3G/4G/tablet/laptop. Some web based jobs can even be done online and on trail with this technology. The worst case scenario for doing this is sometimes you'll have to bail out to a town to get internet connectivity.

Employment is pretty tough now for young people who don't have in demand skills. Actually, I wish I had hiked the AT on minimal savings or unemployment when the economy was slow when I was younger. If I was hiring, I'd consider it a plus that someone had the determination to complete a thru-hike or large section hike.

evyck da fleet
11-07-2011, 16:30
I don't have a problem with someone hiking while collecting unemployment. Hell, I may be able to claim that next year if I can be a seasonal instead of full time employee. With smartphones and the internet one can apply for (better)jobs, file for interviews and conduct phone interviews on trips to town. The $ should also cover transportation home to actually go on an interview.

If he's collecting unemployment its because he was let go without cause and his former employer is paying the state which is paying him unemployment. Sounds kinda like the employer part of social security..no? Not exactly your tax dollars unless you let go of the kid in the first place.

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed because it seems you have more of a problem with the kid's sense of entitlement that mommy and the goverment (and hostels) should take care of him without him lifting a finger.

greenmtnboy
11-07-2011, 16:38
I'm sure he isn't the first, he was dumb to be honest; most people keep their secrets especially when they could get caught.

Didn't Ward Leonard collect disability?

There are jobs out there for virtually anyone, sometimes it takes a while to find something good. Flagging jobs, big box store jobs, day labor jobs of various types, farm jobs, as well as the whole spectrum of self-employment. For those looking and needing work, keep trying and you will find something.

hikerboy57
11-07-2011, 16:41
I don't have a problem with someone hiking while collecting unemployment. Hell, I may be able to claim that next year if I can be a seasonal instead of full time employee. With smartphones and the internet one can apply for (better)jobs, file for interviews and conduct phone interviews on trips to town. The $ should also cover transportation home to actually go on an interview.

If he's collecting unemployment its because he was let go without cause and his former employer is paying the state which is paying him unemployment. Sounds kinda like the employer part of social security..no? Not exactly your tax dollars unless you let go of the kid in the first place.

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed because it seems you have more of a problem with the kid's sense of entitlement that mommy and the goverment (and hostels) should take care of him without him lifting a finger.
Couldnt disagree with you more. uinemployment insurance is paid for by both employer and state, as well as employees. anyone taking tax dollars to deliberately stay unemployed is abusing the system.
By the way, every older generation will claim the "the kids today have entitlement issues."and that kids today dont know what real music is.

IrishBASTARD
11-07-2011, 16:48
I work for my Government aka public employee. The problem is its not your money my money or even Mr. X's money it is the Governments money to dole out as it see's fit. ALL too many people usually republicans bitch and moan about how their tax dollars are being wasted...well mine was wasted killing our youth for a truly unjust war. Do I support what our government did to our young fighters...the Hell I do not. Vietnam was the same Hippies smoking dope at "Woodstock" bare assed in ponds. That generation decided on this War as the generation before them had on Vietnam. So regardless its the governments right to decide what they give and to who...not yours saying its your money. If you feel like giving someone a hand who needs it..move to China and see how bad Government can be to its people.

IrishBASTARD
11-07-2011, 16:53
See yoru mistake is calling it his money. That money is mine, Bob's and presumably your's since I assume you collect a paycheck and pay taxes. This kid is being very unethical in what he is doing and I would have called it in...I'm that guy. Go ahead and HYOH but do it on your dine not mine. I can't get funds together to take 6 months off to hike and this clown has the audacity to do it on my tax dollars?! and yo uthink its ok...lord help us no wonder my great-grand-kids are already screwed.... Your "great-grand kids" are screwed because that Ivy League carpet bagger I am sure you voted for in 2000 and again in 2004...I know I didnt. Yes this whole Country is a mess because some kid who has to legally pay into unemployment its a Federal and State law...not because the Trillions wasted on an unjust war. What he does with his money let alone anyone does is none of your business...protest what was your money and try to get Uncle Sam to give back your brain. Because obviously you have no idea what unemployment or tax laws are...also by making a falst report aka reporting this kid...you yourself can be arrested so its your tax dollars working against you in a way.

Alligator
11-07-2011, 16:58
Sorry, entirely too political, closed.

Ewker
11-07-2011, 17:07
hell I wish I could draw unemployment and hike the AT. Guess i will have to wait until I retire and use SS to support me on the trail