PDA

View Full Version : Hike AT spring 2013

iMISSmySUN
11-08-2011, 06:04
I am hoping...planning a hike for the spring of 2013..or as soon as it warms up a bit.....I am 42, a registered nurse with trauma/emergency room and cardiac experience (don't know if that changes anything for me, but hey, any future hiking partner would be in great hands).....

Anyway, I have never hiked more than a 2-3 miles at a time, but I am very strong, in decent shape.......and much, much tougher than any man I have ever met; emotionally, physically, etc. Really.

Anyway, I would like to hike with someone who has a little hiking experience.......or has been to the AT before.....or a group, maybe? I don't know what, if any options there are.....

So, please, anybody reply.....even if its just advice or recommendations, etc.

Doc Mike
11-08-2011, 08:25
In the spring there will only be a few thousand hikers on the trail. Staying away from a group will be more of a challenge. Show up-hike-groups form. Its human nature we are social creatures.

PhoenixFire
12-16-2011, 22:08
Are you doing a NOBO thru-hike or a SOBO thru-hike? I'm starting my adventure NOBO around the same time!

Muffin Top
01-01-2012, 19:22
I'm also hoping to thru hike NOBO in 2013. Thinking about starting May 1 and flipping to Maine late Aug./early Sept., then hike south to wherever I leave off. Avoid the crowd and get good weather.

Slow n' Steady
01-21-2012, 11:06
If you have the time and funds, you might want to try a section hike this year. I live in the White Mountains, and my first section hike was a shocker. I climbed up Mt. Madison from Pinkham Notch, over to Mt. Washington, and down from there. I learned a lot about my limitations, what I needed, and what a real mountain feels like (I'd moved from Florida, so the contrast was huge). But I caught the bug from that hike and have dreamed of a thru hike ever since.

Slow n' Steady
01-21-2012, 11:08
I just re-read my post...I don't live IN the White Mountains...sorry...I live 20 minutes away...small clarification...

Stanzi Tsunai
02-22-2012, 22:45
I am planning a NOBO thru-hike next year. Aiming to leave early to mid-May (my 21st birthday is the 14th and I like the idea of leaving the day after so I can have like a birthday/send-off party). I will be hiking with my b.f. and our dog. I have family along the trail so if the dog becomes too much of a problem I can get a relative to come pick her up at some point. :P I would prefer not to hike in a large group and my b.f. is the only person I plan on being beside the whole time, but a 3rd person would be nice to help us not get on each other's nerves as much.

NLaeger
03-09-2012, 15:40
I am also planning a NOBO 2013as well. I hope to leave mid march. But I am looking for a partner at least to start the trek with. I am mainly trying to find someone that I can start off with to make my parents happy. They aren't to keen on the fact that I am a single female hiking thru the woods by myself, even though I have tried time and time again to tell them that I will never really be by myself! But I do like the idea of starting with someone that I can develop a friendship with over the next year! Let me know if you want to chat more.

Trillium
03-09-2012, 16:17
I am planning a 2013 NOBO. My launch will be dependant on March Madness. May start April 2 or April 10. I am leaning toward the 2nd then if my team makes the Final 4, I will head down to Atlanta on the 6th and return to the trail either the 7th, 9th or 10th.

kdidorek
03-10-2012, 22:04
I'm planning on starting around March 20, 2013 NOBO, although our date still may change. So far there is just two in our group, so if anyone wants to join us you are more than welcome to!

dlharrigan
03-11-2012, 13:23
I am going to thru hike from the begining of March till I am done....from Houston Texas so any Texans out there interested in going I can be reached at [email protected] spent 25 years as a special operations Infantryman, love the outdoors , recently retired and the AT has been on my big 10 list of things to do, I'll take it slow and easy - the idea is to finish! Look forward to meeting many of the 2013 thru hikers from March on my trail name is 2oldrangers

Loneoak
03-11-2012, 13:39
I see this is your first post, Welcome to WB

Hannah065
05-11-2012, 21:57
I am tentatively planning a nobo hike for 2013, starting from springer on March 1st. would love to meet up with anyone if only for the start.

Zipper
05-11-2012, 22:43
Just want to put it out there to all the women planning a hike, you can do it by yourself, and you will meet great people along the way if you do want to join up with someone. Personally, I loved the solitude of hiking alone, mixed with usually camping near shelters so having people to chat with at the end of the day and often at views/lunch. I loved being able to hike completely at my own pace and to really be present in the woods instead of chitchatting and missing out on wildlife and little things. Everyone needs to hike their own hike, but do consider spending at least a little time on the trail alone. You'll learn so much about how much resilience, power, and skill you have. You'll have a chance to be just you with your thoughts and the trail. I find it addictive.
However you do your hikes, enjoy - it was one of the absolute best experiences of my life!
Cheers!
Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

oldbear
05-12-2012, 01:51
iMiss
I'd get a copy of the Complete Walker IV by the late great Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins
Colin Fletcher was the spiritual father to my generation of hikers
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Walker-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233
My own 2013 NOBO starts on Saturday 3/23/13 with the Approach Trail out of Amicalola SP and ends 190 days later on Sunday 9/29/13 on Baxter Summit
I'll be 60 in August of 2013 and I couldn't think of a better place to celebrate it than the mountains of New England where it all began 40 years ago

Mountain Mojo
05-12-2012, 04:26
I'm planning a NOBO hike Spring of 2013; that is if I'm able to take a leave of absence from my job. I just might have to section hike it so if I do I'll be starting somewhere between Damascus and Sugar Grove Virginia, since I'm already in Southwest Virginia. Getting all my gear together and thinking about it constantly! Can't wait! I'd be happy to join up with any other novices lol

pegcam
09-05-2012, 22:01
Hi! I am also planning to hike in 2012. I am 46, a teacher who is take some time off. I'm in pretty good shape, I've run 7 marathons, not fast but finished around 5 hours. I know what your mean about being strong. I don't have much hiking experience, but Ive done some hiking here in Colorado. I've done one 3 day hike and I've climed 7 14ers. (14,000 ft. peaks) I'm looking for a female hiking buddy to keep my husband and family from worrying. The more I look online about the AT the more comfortable I feel about meeting people on the trail, but it would be nice to have someone to get started with. Anyway, if you want to keep in touch until March, that would be fine.

Peg

pegcam
09-05-2012, 22:15
oops! I meant 2013! I want to leave Late Feb or early March.

pegcam
09-05-2012, 22:21
Great advice. One of the reason I am starting my thru hiking experience with the AT is because of this opportunity to be able to hike alone. I know what I want to do and I'd rather not depend/or worry about someone else, but I am very social and don't really want to be alone the whole time.