PDA

View Full Version : water-Winding Stair Gap to NOC

scope
11-08-2011, 12:27
What is current water situation in this section? Where are the best places to gas up, including the ones most likely to still flow in sub-freezing temps (Thurs-Sun)?

Jim Adams
11-09-2011, 00:05
I was at the spring at the road crossing at Winding Stair Gap last week and it was barely flowing...don't know about the rest of the area.

geek

daddytwosticks
11-09-2011, 08:34
Wow...that's not a good sign. I have seen that spring at Winding Stair Gap flowing well even in the bad '07 - '08 drought. :)

Jim Adams
11-09-2011, 10:04
I always stop and fill a nalgene when I pass but it was so slow that it would have taken probably 20-30 minutes to fill a qt. I've never seen it that low.

geek

G-WALK
11-12-2011, 02:04
I made a video of my section hike here, it may help....

http://youtu.be/_wWTtagpxBM?hd=1

scope
11-14-2011, 11:29
FYI - Siler shelter and Wayah shelter were good, Cold Spring shelter had just a trickle, Wesser shelter had a trickle but the reservoir was full (should've taken a pic). Seemed much dryer from Wayah to NOC. Don't know about the spring at Winding Stair, but there's a small stream a short ways in that was flowing good.

dedwarmo
11-15-2011, 14:20
What is current water situation in this section? Where are the best places to gas up, including the ones most likely to still flow in sub-freezing temps (Thurs-Sun)?

I'm a newbie. What is NOC?

scope
11-15-2011, 14:48
I'm a newbie. What is NOC?

There is more than one Nantahala Outdoor Center, but most folks refer to NOC as the one in Wesser, NC, at a road crossing between Wesser Bald and Cheoah Bald, south of Fontana Dam, northwest of Franklin, NC.

dedwarmo
11-15-2011, 15:03
There is more than one Nantahala Outdoor Center, but most folks refer to NOC as the one in Wesser, NC, at a road crossing between Wesser Bald and Cheoah Bald, south of Fontana Dam, northwest of Franklin, NC.

Thanks, Scope!