PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah NP water sources in November

Comfy
11-08-2011, 13:00
I'll soon be hiking the AT southern portion of Shenandoah National Park --Rockfish Gap up to Swift Run Gap.

My big worry is water. Last year, same season, central portion of SNP, the water access was sporadic and mostly at the concessions.
But I don't think the concessions for the southern portion are open this time of year. And many picnic areas, too.

Does anyone know, are there water sources?
Water sources at shelters at Calf Mtn, Blackrock, Pinefield Shelters?

I've only done 20% of the AT, I'm out of my element on the AT and more of California hiker, should I not worry
about water?

Or do I need to carry 4 bottles and load up when I get the chance? Should I prepare myself to hike down off the ridge for mile(s)?

What's it like in late November?

Comfy

Lemni Skate
11-08-2011, 13:06
I live in the area and hiked the entire Southern Section a few years ago. There is less water here than in the rest of the park in general, but I never ran out (and I'm a big guy who requires a lot of water). The shelters all have water nearby and you will come to a few other sources. I wouldn't skip a water source.

All of that being said we've had a VERY wet fall and late summer so the springs should be flowing pretty well. I don't think you need to worry this year.

Spools
11-08-2011, 13:19
Water at dundo and calf mountain, black rock was dry as of two weeks ago

Sailing_Faith
11-10-2011, 13:08
Just returned from a 2 week hike in SNP last night. Had a great hike (will post more later) but let me assure you water is EVERYWHERE. The snow last week has produced abundant run off, and all the springs between Rockfish Gap and Stony Man (Skyland) were flowing well. I carried 3 liters (and a liter of wine) and had no problems.

It was WONDERFUL, enjoy your hike!