PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Donation

DeerPath
11-08-2011, 20:11
I'll be hiking the AT for the first time, Spring 2012 , and don't know how much is the correct amount to donate at hostels. Please advise and offer any other info I should know. Thanks

Lone Wolf
11-08-2011, 20:14
hostels run by churches have signs telling one how much to donate. "The Place" in Damascus asks for a $5 donation. sadly, most donate nothing

wornoutboots
11-08-2011, 22:53
Have an Awesome Hike Deerpath & thanks for a Great Question! Most hostel owners who use a donation system do not make much money & some don't even break even. I believe you'll know what to give someone who gives you a warm place out of the weather, a place the rest your body after days/weeks of pushing it to the limits, a place to do laundry, take a shower & have a nice bed for rest + normally good conversation & trail knowledge. Stays like Kincora & The Place who charge next to nothing are a true Godsend! even if you give the bare minimum you may want to keep an eye out for some work that needs to be done around the hostel. Double what they ask is worth the memory they've given you. Follow your Heart & All aill work out!

birchy
11-09-2011, 09:23
PAY IT FORWARD, that's what I say. If you can afford it....give it,,,,,, if you cannot afford it STAY IN YOUR TENT. I had a SOBO stay with me this year and claimed that he was broke, I let him stay for free. 2 days later I ran into him at the bar on South Mountain, just partying it up. While I ask for a $5.00 per meal charge, it is clear that you cannot feed a hiker for $5.00. Generally the bed fee goes to actually feeding the hiker, and I have never made a profit, but that is the way I designed it. As long as my hostel can be self sufficient then I'm happy..... Hope to see you in 2012..... BIRCHY at HIGH MOUNTAIN HAVEN (Penn).

Ender
11-09-2011, 09:54
I'd say a minimum of $5, though I usually give more. When I stayed at Graymore Friary back when they were still taking in hikers in 1998, I think I gave $25, because they also fed me, and I spent a good portion of the night in interesting discussion with the friars, and I really liked them.

10-K
11-09-2011, 10:40
If it's a "suggested donation" my rule of thumb is 2x the suggested amount.

If it's a business hostel (i.e. Uncle Johnny's, Mountain Crossings, etc.) I just pay what they charge of course.

Storm
11-09-2011, 10:53
If you are doing a thru hike and it takes you six months and you stay at a hostel once a week you could pay $20 at every one and it would still only be $480. That's really cheap just for the lodging and if they throw in a meal or laundry service, wow, what a deal. I think my thru will be a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and I sure don't want to be known as a cheapskate. I know some places charge more and that's fine, but you have to keep the little guys in bussiness too. JMHO

burger
11-09-2011, 10:57
On the PCT, most hikers I knew gave a minimum of $20 per night. Surely a warm, dry place to stay, showers, laundry, and a chance to relax in a welcoming environment are worth at least $20.

Ender
11-09-2011, 12:56
If it's a "suggested donation" my rule of thumb is 2x the suggested amount.

If it's a business hostel (i.e. Uncle Johnny's, Mountain Crossings, etc.) I just pay what they charge of course.

I like this idea a lot. 2X the suggested donation... great idea.

Sly
11-09-2011, 16:25
Too often hikers treat "donation" as an option to pay. Suggested donation, or donation, doesn't mean free, it means what it says "donation" which is a contribution or monetary gift.

LDog
11-09-2011, 17:15
Too often hikers treat "donation" as an option to pay. Suggested donation, or donation, doesn't mean free, it means what it says "donation" which is a contribution or monetary gift.

My understanding is that many places use the "suggested donation" to avoid being classified as a motel - with all the oversight and regulations that go with that. I would never read "suggested donation" as anything other than "Minimum." Not supporting those who provide us with hospitality is wrong, and gives the hiker community a bad rep.

trainhopper
11-10-2011, 10:21
Just out of curiosity, are any of the hostels specifically aimed at the through hiking crowd? If so how do they stay in business as the wave of hikers can only last a few months?

Kerosene
11-10-2011, 10:56
I've given donations to notable hostel owners even though I wasn't able to spend the night. A lot of these people are true friends of the AT, and go out of their way to assist hikers. It's unfortunate that some do not donate, but I still think that they're in the minority.

Colter
11-10-2011, 11:39
Hostels are extremely valuable with many generous owners. $5 doesn't begin to pay their out of pocket expenses. Many hikers that can easily afford to pay, don't, and in my opinion if you can afford to hike the trail and to take advantage of a hostel than you can afford to donate.

Also, I think donations are a situation where a little gentle peer pressure goes a long way. Encourage others to donate. It's the right thing to do, now and in the long run.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2011, 11:44
It's unfortunate that some do not donate, but I still think that they're in the minority.not the case with this years SOBOs. the MAJORITY of the ones that did stay at "The Place" did not donate. the caretaker shut it down early for the season due to lack of funds to pay for electric, sewer and water.

Ender
11-10-2011, 11:57
not the case with this years SOBOs. the MAJORITY of the ones that did stay at "The Place" did not donate. the caretaker shut it down early for the season due to lack of funds to pay for electric, sewer and water.

Well, that's depressing.

strollingalong
11-10-2011, 12:11
is it real crappy or something? I know I didn't donate in a couple of places on the camino de santiago because the managers of the place cared so much the beds and toilets were so nasty i was dry heaving every few minutes....
or are AT hikers tightfisted wankers?

strollingalong
11-10-2011, 12:12
is it real crappy or something? I know I didn't donate in a couple of places on the camino de santiago because the managers of the place cared so much the beds and toilets were so nasty i was dry heaving every few minutes....&nbsp;<br>or are AT hikers tightfisted wankers?