PDA

View Full Version : ZPack Hexamid tent

old geezer
11-09-2011, 12:28
I see alot of info on various tents, but almost nothing on the Hexamid from Zpacks
I looks great---with the cuben ground sheet
Are people using this tent on the AT?
Any thoughts or advise on this tent?
Thanks

Wil
11-09-2011, 13:20
I see alot of info on various tents, but almost nothing on the Hexamid from ZpacksI have used the tarp/separate bugnet version about 15 nights, some on the AT and some lots tougher ground. I like it very much so far. Very well made. Can't get much lighter. The maker is great to deal with. I am surprised zpacks is not among the leaders, in terms of discussion. IMO it ranks right up there.

SouthMark
11-09-2011, 13:25
I met a thru hiker last year at Fontana that was using the Hexamid Twin. Said it was a castle at 11 oz. I use a hammock and use Joe's cuben tarp but I would use the Hexamid if I did not use a hammock.

Scratch
11-09-2011, 13:44
I'm planning on using the hexamid solo for my thru hike 2012. So far I am very pleased with it. I'll be testing it out some in a week so I'll come back to report how it handles.

Ender
11-09-2011, 14:22
I have used the tarp/separate bugnet version about 15 nights, some on the AT and some lots tougher ground. I like it very much so far. Very well made. Can't get much lighter. The maker is great to deal with. I am surprised zpacks is not among the leaders, in terms of discussion. IMO it ranks right up there.

This is the setup I've been considering buying. I like that the separate tarp and bugnet give you multiple setup options. It's a bit pricey, but for an effectively double wall tent that you can also set up as tarp only or bugnet tent only, all for under a pound, it seems like the best deal ever. I've been waiting to hear more user reviews though, especially IRT wind and heavy rain, as well as interior space.

Scratch
11-09-2011, 15:29
Redwood outdoors has a long video setting up and reviewing the separate tarp/bug net on youtube.

Scratch
11-09-2011, 15:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElHT0bU860

Ender
11-09-2011, 16:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElHT0bU860

Cool. Thanks. I'll have to give that a watch.

Wil
11-09-2011, 18:19
I've been waiting to hear more user reviews though, especially IRT wind and heavy rain, as well as interior space.Wind and heavy rain performance has been good for me. Had three nights moderate rain (one with pretty strong wind) and one night of heavy rain with not too much wind though. No problems.

Interior space with the solo bugnet is OK by me but most would say tight. Length is good, but the netting slopes at a low angle so if you're very tall the netting is going to touch head or feet or both. I used a 25" wide pad a few nights and it _barely_ fit. Generally you've got plenty of room to turn over, flex your elbows, stretch out, have a few small gear items inside. The "bathtub floor" is some of your floor sloping up. You can pitch to reclaim some of it but you don't want to lose too much of the nice high bathtub floor (to block rain splash and horizontal rain) with a tarp that you want to keep up off the ground for ventilation.

I understand there is a plus version out or soon to be. If interior space is an important factor you might prefer that.

Odd Man Out
11-10-2011, 00:28
I understand there is a plus version out or soon to be. If interior space is an important factor you might prefer that.

Yes, their web site lists a solo-plus, which is described as being like a twin, but with just one pole. This is the one I have had my eye on. Can't decide if I should get the tent/screen combo and a ground sheet or the tarp with the net tent/ground sheet combo. People have described the net tent as being more versatile (can pitch the tarp w/ or w/o the net). If you don't need to pitch the net ten, can you still use the bathtub floor of the net tent for your ground cloth? I was probably leaning toward the tent option as it seems that setting up the net tent and tarp would be more to fuss with and the tent would be easier. The tent option is slightly heavier, but by only about 0.5 oz, so I don't suppose that is really a significant factor. Additional thoughts to help me decide are much appreciated.

ChinMusic
11-10-2011, 01:20
I like this tent but it strikes me as more of a PCT shelter than an AT shelter.

Wil
11-10-2011, 03:55
Yes, their web site lists a solo-plus, which is described as being like a twin, but with just one pole. This is the one I have had my eye on. Can't decide if I should get the tent/screen combo and a ground sheet or the tarp with the net tent/ground sheet combo. People have described the net tent as being more versatile (can pitch the tarp w/ or w/o the net). If you don't need to pitch the net ten, can you still use the bathtub floor of the net tent for your ground cloth? I was probably leaning toward the tent option as it seems that setting up the net tent and tarp would be more to fuss with and the tent would be easier. The tent option is slightly heavier, but by only about 0.5 oz, so I don't suppose that is really a significant factor. Additional thoughts to help me decide are much appreciated.I just checked out the Plus on the website and it looks very nice indeed. Wish I had waited a couple of months!

There is a bit of fussiness with setting up the combo, compared with the tent, but it is wonderful to have the flexibility. I like the outdoors at night and the bugnet alone is very close to cowboy camping but without spiders (which I'm finding active later and later into the Fall, or just noticing more). The tarp is so easy to pitch it is practical for lunch breaks and I frequently carry it on dayhikes.

I haven't used the solo bugnet yet as a groundsheet only, under the tarp, but it clips to the tarp all around so it should work well.

QiWiz
11-10-2011, 13:44
I had used a Gatewood Cape with or without a NetTent as my primary shelter for the last 2 years. I have just switched to the Hexamid to save weight and improve weather-worthiness (rain and/or wind). Have been out in it twice on trail so far and am very pleased, though have not had any really nasty weather. Got the version with netting/netting floor and the beak sewn in. I think it would be a fine shelter for the AT.

Odd Man Out
11-10-2011, 14:21
I think it would be a fine shelter for the AT.

I like this tent but it strikes me as more of a PCT shelter than an AT shelter.

Conflicting opinions on WB? No way! I had read some reviews suggesting that the Hexamid Solo was a minimalist's shelter and thought the Plus version would be a bit better suited for a wider range of conditions. Or should I be looking at something at the tent end of the "tarp-tent" spectrum? I seem to change my mind every week.

Ender
11-10-2011, 16:41
So I have to admit, after watching the video a few times now, I find the tarp design rather finicky, and it seems really hard to get in or out of without getting drenched as it sits so low. Also, he never did show how he staked out the beak once inside the tarp... I'm assuming he would have to reach out and re-stake it manually?

For sure I'd have to go with the larger size tarp and bug tent. Especially the bug tent, as my sleeping pad is practically a bed (NeoAir, size "Humungo").

Suttree
11-10-2011, 16:58
I used the Hexamid Solo (tarp only) on the CDT and found it to be durable and extremely weather-worthy with appropriate site selection. In excellent condition after 2800+mi worth of wind/rain/hail.

Ideal for hikers like QiWiz who already enjoy tarping: more space, less weight.
Perhaps an expensive experiment for hikers like Odd Man out.

In the latter case, I suggest buying/borrowing a cheap one-man-tarp. Experiment, and if you like the experience go with some version of the hexamid. The tarp will be useful no matter your preference; the hexamid, not so much.

Scratch
11-10-2011, 17:23
I have the tent with netting floor and the extended beak. I think the trick is to attach the beak to the main guyline in the front. And in the solo with the net floor, there is a lot of room. Then again, I'm a small person. lol

ChinMusic
11-10-2011, 17:42
Conflicting opinions on WB? No way! I had read some reviews suggesting that the Hexamid Solo was a minimalist's shelter and thought the Plus version would be a bit better suited for a wider range of conditions. Or should I be looking at something at the tent end of the "tarp-tent" spectrum? I seem to change my mind every week.

My thinking is that the AT is more rain-prone. I am not a tarper and want a solid floor for the AT. That is just MY preference.

I think the Hex is a great shelter. I like how Zpacks poncho doubles as a ground cloth. I just think it would be problematic for ME on the AT. I like the design for a trail like the PCT where I am Cowboy Camping much of the time anyway.

YMMV

Wil
11-10-2011, 18:11
after watching the video a few times now, I find the tarp design rather finicky, and it seems really hard to get in or out of without getting drenched as it sits so low. Also, he never did show how he staked out the beak once inside the tarp... I'm assuming he would have to reach out and re-stake it manually?

For sure I'd have to go with the larger size tarp and bug tent. Especially the bug tent, as my sleeping pad is practically a bed (NeoAir, size "Humungo").The guy on the video, nice of him to go to the trouble of providing a user example and I'm appreciative, is a bit of a klutz. Not nearly as finicky as it seems.

It is easy enough to get in and out without getting wet, with the beak up. And about 90% of the time, even in rain, I leave it up for views and ventilation. Only if the rain starts coming from the "open" direction do I need to deploy the beak. Beak down. you're right, you'd have to slip through very low. The beak had to be staked out in earlier versions, now it can clip to the peak guy line. I have modified the beak clip and attached a short extra cord to make deploying/undeploying the beak a one-hand operation from inside the bugnet.

I occasionally use the neo-air large size (original) and it fits into the solo. Pretty much edge-to-edge wide and all but about 9" or a foot of the length.