PDA

View Full Version : The Blueberry Patch (Hiawassee)

stranger
12-12-2002, 00:16
Is the Blueberry Patch still around?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2002, 07:18
Sure is!

stranger
12-12-2002, 08:52
Good to hear Lone Wolf...easily one of the best places I've ever stayed at, great time, great people, looking forward to visiting again soon.

chris
12-12-2002, 09:07
Late starters should know that Blueberry Patch closes down sometime, I think, in early May.

Sparky!
02-01-2003, 23:25
Since the blue berry patch seems so popular, will I need to make reservations?

Sparky!

Hammock Hanger
02-01-2003, 23:30
I do not think Gary takes reservations but I could be wrong. Always best to call.

There are only like 7-8 sleeping beds. Then there is the table, He usually drops off and picks hikers up around 9-10 at Dicks Creek, after the great blueberry breakfast. I think once he has a full house he refers hikers to town spots. HH

Sparky!
02-02-2003, 00:11
Thanks HH.... I noticed that you gave a lot of good tips in the town as far as stopping and resupply. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me!

Sparky!

Hammock Hanger
02-02-2003, 07:14
First it is not an arm and a leg. They do not even set a price. They just give you an envelope and ask for a donation. As for a prayer at the breakfast table, nothing wrong with that. Mainly it is a prayer to be thankful for the food and keep the hikers safe. Yes, they are religous folk. If the prayer really bothers someone they can just as easily skip the breakfast. - It is not like Gary and Lennie come into the hostel and shove religion down your throats. As for the dumpy garage. I was please with the bunks, kitchen, phone, shower house. The privy is a pot-o-let but it is cleaned weekly. My laundry was completely washed and folded for me. Fuel was there for the asking. All that for a donation and a pray, I think it is a deal. Hammock Hanger

stranger
02-02-2003, 19:05
What's really wrong with prayer? It's not like they can MAKE YOU pray. I don't recall praying when I stayed there and even if they did, I would respect their wishes and be silent during the prayer. Granted...I would not join them as I don't believe in such a thing, but that doesn't mean you disregard other peoples values. Especially when they have been providing such a great service to thru-hikers for over a decade.

Skeemer
02-02-2003, 21:54
Sounds like some people who are really caring and it is based on their beliefs. As long as they don't try to impose their values on others, the hiking community should appreciate their service and be glad they are there. On the other hand I've heard stories about Mountain Mama's where hikers aren't always treated so well. I'll try the Patch.

Lugnut
02-03-2003, 01:44
I've stayed with Gary and Lennie three times and didn't feel pressured at all, even though I don't believe as they do I respect them greatly. They would have made good Quakers (meant as a compliment) and just being around them gives one a sense of serenity. Plus, it's a really good breakfast!

smokymtnsteve
02-03-2003, 17:45
But isn't it nice that we now know what the experience is like there...for those who would prefer/ made uncomfortable with the god/prayer situation can now avoid putting themselves in a postion they would prefer not to be in....or it could be a huge attaction to someone and they would modify there plan to MAKE SURE to include this special place on thier hike. works two ways!

stranger
02-03-2003, 19:49
I don't believe in any one God, I don't believe in organized (business) religion and I don't believe in prayer HOWEVER I would take 20 seconds of feeling uncomfortable anyday of the week to take advantage of the great service the Blueberry Patch provides to hikers. It's a really great place, one of the best.

Atbakpakr
04-14-2003, 17:39
When I stayed there in 2001 I had a great time. Staying there was one of the highlights of my hike. I never felt uncomfortable or preached to. The breakfast was superb. Gary even gave some of us a ride into town to get supplies for a humungus dinner we prepaired. I would and still do hight recomend staying there. But keep in mind once the place fills up they send hikers into town.