PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Southeastern Foot Trails Conference

MOWGLI
03-03-2005, 09:33
From April 28 - May 1, 2005 the 3rd Southeastern Foot Trails Conference will take place at beautiful Table Rock State Park in Pickens, SC. This event will gather trail professionals, volunteers, government agency employees, and the leadership of the trails community in the SE to "Build Skills & Strengthen Partnerships".

The event will open on Thursday April 28 at 11 AM with long hikes along the Foothills Trail & Palmetto Trail. At 2 PM the Backpacker Get Out More Team will lead a hike in the park. Johnson City based photographer Jerry Greer will give a slideshow about the Southern Appalachians on Thursday night.

On April 29 we'll have a series of full-day pre-conference workshops. Those workshops include a session on Grant Writing, a class entitled Board University - which is targeted towards members of non-profit Boards. This class will help teach you how to take your organization to the next level - wherever you are in your organizational life cycle. There will also be some great classes on how to build & maintain trail - including a class on how to design, layout & flag a trail. We have a number of experts teaching these classes including a well known & respected Staffer from ATC.

On Saturday April 30 there will be a host of educational sessions including a talk by Whiteblaze's very own "Tha Wookie" - who will be giving a lunchtime slideshow about his recent hike along the West Coast. Dr. Jeff Marion, Recreation Ecologist will talk about Sustainable Trails. There are almost too many sessions to list here.

Each night there will be great entertainment including live bluegrass from Drovers Old Time Medicine Show on Friday night.

If you want to become a trail volunteer, this is the event to attend. If you're already a volunteer and want to improve your skills, please join us. If you want to meet the folks who build and maintain the trails in the SE, you won't want to miss this event. If you want to make some new friends and discover South Carolina's great trails (and how they connect to the AT) come on down. If you are an avid hiker and want to give something back, this would be a great way.

For more info, please visit the conference web page. http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/2005conf.html

Happy Hiking!

Jeffrey Hunter
Southeast Trail Programs Director
American Hiking Society
Chattanooga, TN

ed bell
03-03-2005, 13:43
Thanks for the info Jeffry. I live just 30 min away from Table Rock, so my wife and I will be there. This really sounds like a good weekend of trail info.

Tha Wookie
03-03-2005, 14:17
I hope to meet some other Whiteblazer's there. Island Mama and I will definitely be there!

:D

MOWGLI
03-22-2005, 19:27
Join us for the 3rd Southeastern Foot Trails Conference planned for April 28 – May 1, 2005 at beautiful Table Rock State Park in Pickens, South Carolina. This event will bring together the conservation and hiking community for a weekend of “Building Skills & Strengthening Partnerships”. Representatives from a variety of government agencies will also be present. This event is presented by American Hiking Society and co-hosted by Palmetto Conservation Foundation and the Foothills Trail Conference.

The event will kick off on Thursday afternoon April 28. Hikes of varying length and difficulty will be offered and led by local trail groups along the gorgeous Blue Ridge Escarpment. Thursday evening dinner will feature guest speaker Brad Wyche of Upstate Forever. Evening entertainment will be provided by Johnson City, Tennessee photographer Jerry Greer. Jerry will treat us to a slideshow featuring the beauty of the Southern Appalachians.

Friday April 29th will offer a number of excellent pre-conference workshops including;

Board University – presented by the Institute for Conservation Leadership. This training class is designed specifically for members of non-profit Boards. Includes opportunity to learn to juggle!

Grant Writing – Sonja Carlborg, Grant Writer for American Hiking Society will lead this excellent full day course

Sustainable Trail Construction – Come learn how to build sustainable trails from the experts!

Friday’s evening entertainment will be provided by Drovers Old Time Medicine Show. Plan to kick up your heels for some live bluegrass music!

Saturday will feature a full slate of concurrent educational sessions. This includes presentations by Nate "Tha Wookie" Olive, Dr. Jeff Marion, and much more! For more info about the educational sessions, please visit http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/2005conf.html

Sunday morning will feature naturalist led hikes in Table Rock State Park. Celina Montorfano, Director of Conservation Programs for American Hiking Society will also lead a session teaching folks how to approach your elected officials at the federal level.

To register for this event, please visit www.AmericanHiking.org. Early registration ends March 31. Options for a single day, partial, or full registration exist.

For more info, please visit the conference web page. http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/2005conf.html

Happy Hiking!

Jeffrey Hunter
Southeast Trail Programs Director
American Hiking Society
Chattanooga, TN

The Solemates
03-23-2005, 10:21
i used to live 45 min from here. wish i could go, but already have other plans. besides that its quite a drive from my current residence. i used to trail run up table rock. my name is on the back of the summit sign a few times. :rolleyes: