PDA

View Full Version : DIY hat light

orions_knight
11-09-2011, 15:56
i cant be the only one whos thought of this. just wondering if a micro light attached to a hat brim is sufficient light for minimal night haiking, finding the nearest tree when nature calls, and do they las tlong enough to justify the weight savings. or do i just not overthink it and get a standard headlamp like a tikka or something? jw. still figuring weights and all. thanks folks.

quilteresq
11-09-2011, 16:08
I got caught and had to do some night hiking in October, and I was extremely glad to have my headlamp - I hiked for about two hours after dark. I was amazed at how fast I wore down the battery, though. I think it had about 1/2 the original lumens when I finished. I generally use my photon for night nature calls, though.

orions_knight
11-09-2011, 16:13
maybe ill upgrade my super hat to 2 or 3 lights on the brim!!!! haha

Slo-go'en
11-09-2011, 17:05
I belive you can already buy a cap with LEDs in the brim. Don't think they would be quite bright enough for night hiking. You really want to throw a usable beam at least 10 to 15 feet in front of you. The hat brim light would be only good around camp for incidental illumination.

orions_knight
11-09-2011, 18:01
ah crap, i knew it. well ill look into one. i htink i like the petzl tikka. OMG i cant wait to get out there and be able to just test this stuff instead of asking about it. 3 months and ill be home in the country where i friggin belong!!! GEORGIA BABY!!

JAK
11-09-2011, 19:58
:-)
Gotta get me some of that.

orions_knight
11-09-2011, 20:18
:-)
Gotta get me some of that.

creepy??? haha im not following you i guess.