PDA

View Full Version : ditch the aether 60lid?

soul patch
11-09-2011, 16:11
anybody else just ditch the lid to their Osprey aether? i got the 60 and find the lid to be an after thought at best by Osprey. sure it converts into a fancy fanny pack, but thats not something i use while on the trail. i do use a liner to help with rain going inside, and have a cover to use if needed. so i wonder should i just ditch the lid? whadyall think? :-?

Hoop
11-09-2011, 20:05
I did - unecessary wt.

Hoofit
11-10-2011, 10:15
I have an Aether 70 and am thinking of doing the same - gets in the way and weighs a lot -wish the pack had a rollover top instead to keep out the rain...

Hoofit
11-10-2011, 10:16
The only use I could see for it would be if you are into 'slackpacking' part of the trail, not my idea of hiking but some like it.

Papa D
11-10-2011, 11:38
That part of the pack is known as the "brain" - I know a lot of thru-hikers ditch the brain but, I use the compression straps up there to keep my bag compact - I also like using it for a cap, gloves, headlamp and zip lock with map - right on top -- I have saved almost as much weight by cutting other stuff off my pack - like - extra lengths of straps, load separating thing inside, ice axe loops (except on my climbing pack), etc. - you can get about 10 ounces of crap off of most packs including Osprey Packs without loosing the brain which is pretty useful.

soul patch
11-10-2011, 16:03
The Brain, i like that. i do find it handy at times maybe to handy and find it chock full of stuff, then it hangs off my pack like a doggone spider monkey.
it is the compression aspect that had me question taking it off. im gonna try it and report back. thanks for the replies.

stranger
11-12-2011, 09:32
Toss the lid...it serves little purpose other than fashion and conveinance, packs look like crap without them, plus they offer the only real 'pocket' on the pack, but in reality, they serve no real purpose. The Aether has an internal top compression strap that will cinch things down nicely. A good trick is to remove the lid, and corresponding straps, trim down your other straps...place all the extra webbing and removed buckles inside the lid, then thrown the lid on a postage scale! You will be glad you removed the extras. Just rememeber to melt the webbing edges so they don't fray.

ekeverette
11-12-2011, 10:22
i have an aether 70... i love my lid. more weight i know, but on my hikes it holds some many convenint items. plus it looks like a nightmare getting the damn thing off.

stranger
11-14-2011, 06:47
The lid attaches via 4 pieces of webbing through buckles, fairly simple in practice, but sometimes packs can look intimidating. Still want that little pocket on top? Get yourself a waterproof 2 liter stuff sack and put it in the top of your pack, problem solved.

elray
11-14-2011, 10:51
I keep my TP and filter in the lid along with snacks and other things that I might want handy during the day. The weight of the lid is minimal and I find it integral to compressing the pack into a tight package that fits me well all day long, which is the main reason I chose the Osprey. I've kind of lost count but I think this Aether 60 is my 11th or 12th pack and I'm very pleased with it.

stranger
11-15-2011, 03:48
I keep my TP and filter in the lid along with snacks and other things that I might want handy during the day. The weight of the lid is minimal and I find it integral to compressing the pack into a tight package that fits me well all day long, which is the main reason I chose the Osprey. I've kind of lost count but I think this Aether 60 is my 11th or 12th pack and I'm very pleased with it.

There is an internal compression strap in the Aethers at the top, if you overload your pack...and need to extend the lid up high cause you can't fit everything inside, that makes sense to help compress it down...however that would be a rare scenario I would imagine. To each their own...but make no mistake about it, lids serve no real function on a pack, they are a 'preference', like side pockets.