PDA

View Full Version : How I refresh my Down sleeping bag:

Kookork
11-09-2011, 18:55
Down sleeping bags are very popular and in 21st century human being is yet to beat the marvel of geese feathers by synthetics.

We all have seen birds put a lot of time and efforts to keep their feather clean and tidy to enjoy the best performance of their feathers.The birdsknow that their feathers need maintenece in order to perform the best.

As good as down bags are they are not the best in wet situations and washing them do decrease the feather insulating quality and their overall performance.

Another problem arises when I keep my down bag compressed for a long time.It does not expand like it used to do.

My solution:

I use my TOBI (hot steam) and with all cautions to avoid burning my hands, I give a good steam to all feathers inside by forcing the steam from one side of sleeping bag and waiting to see steam comes out from the other.

In less than 10 minutes my down sleeping bag feels clean and as puffy and warm as it used to be. You can feel the feathers are smooth again.

Does this steam treatment cleans the bag?

Yes and No. It is not as good as a dip wash but makes the bag looks cleaner and smells a lot better.

This way, I can postpone washing my down bag for a long time and more importantly the steam does the same thing birds do delicately to their feathers in a blink.

The result has been great since I started to use my TOBI .

Hopefully everyone in Whiteblaze has known and used this trick before but if not just give it a shot in a corner of your bag and compare that corner with the rest of the bag. You would see the result for yourselves.

Good Bag!!!

JAK
11-09-2011, 19:51
Neat idea. I wonder what a microwave oven might do, if it was just a wee bit damp.
Stuff, Nuke, then Fluff.
Probably not a good idea.