PDA

View Full Version : Why is leather bad?

plodder
03-03-2005, 09:47
I find negative feelings for leather boots here and there. I am pretty much stuck with Dunham 4E... I've ground down a pair of low leather waffle stompers and they seem as good as anything else I've used up. The Nimbles seem kind of flimsy.

SGT Rock
03-03-2005, 09:50
I use leather boots at work, I just prefer trail runners and running shoes because they breath better, dry out faster, weigh less, and don't try to create the impossible: a waterproof footwear.

Bad Ass Turtle
03-03-2005, 10:19
I hiked in leather boots exclusively for years, and still have my VERY worn out boots from my hike in 2001. However, in 2003 I hiked three days in a fairly new (and I thought broken-in) pair of leather boots that ate the skin right off my heels. Out of desperation, I switched to a pair of trail runners (Montrail Java's -- mens, because I have wide feet for a girl :rolleyes: ) and I have loved them. Although I have found that I have to wear liner socks with my smartwools, because of the additional movement that the lighter shoes allow. Drawback -- when it rains, my feet get wet.

Bad Ass Turtle

Lone Wolf
03-03-2005, 10:20
Nothing wrong with leather boots. Unless you're one of them obsessed Go-Lite gram weenies. :)

SGT Rock
03-03-2005, 10:23
Nothing wrong with leather boots. Unless you're one of them obsessed Go-Lite gram weenies. :)

I don't have a thing made by Go-Lite :p

hikerjohnd
03-03-2005, 10:24
I was a dedicated leather boot man - until about three weeks ago. I bought my first pair of trail runners and after a discussion with a company rep (who did not push his shoes, but steered me towards a competitor for my first step down from stompers) about the design and construction of runners, I think I'm sold. I've been wearing my runners around campus and it is incredible. The light weight and the comfort are incredible! I haven't had these in the field yet, and the AT will be their first outing, but my OneSport's are in the closet and may never see the light of day again!

hipo
03-03-2005, 10:26
Whats golite taking your shoes off!:bse Hipo

Jaybird
03-03-2005, 10:36
its good enuff for "the FONZ"...the leather is good enuff fer me!

whether its my LEATHER biker jacket
or my VASQUE MX2 SUNDOWNER boots! :D

bulldog49
03-03-2005, 11:01
I use leather boots at work, I just prefer trail runners and running shoes because they breath better, dry out faster, weigh less, and don't try to create the impossible: a waterproof footwear.

In making a shoe/boot decision, don't let someone else tell you what to wear. I've tried trail shoes, and yes they are lighter but my feet hurt like hell. And I don't like walking in soaking wet feet all day. It is possible to keep your feet dry in water proof leather boots despite what the Sarge says. I've hiked in the Smokies in two days of hard rain with a pair of Vasque Sundowners, that weigh less than two lbs, and a pair of OR Crocodile gaiters. My feet got slightly damp from perspiration, but not so wet that I didn't sleep in them at night without changing them. In hot, dry weather there is obviously an advantage with trail runners. Since I don't hike in the summer and a great deal in winter that is not an issue for me.

Footslogger
03-03-2005, 12:06
Leather isn't all that bad. It's all a matter of personal preference and the needs/comfort of your feet. I own several pairs of mid weight leather boots and still wear them on occasion. However, at one point during my 2003 thru I decided to try trail shoes. I was reluctant at first because I thought they'd lack the support and outsole rigidity I felt I needed. What I found though was that hiking in a good quality low cut trail shoe was OK for me and in fact I hiked the majority of my thru in them.

In PA and then again in NH (Whites) and Maine I found I appreciated the boot more so I switched back. But I had my trail shoes waiting for me in Millinocket and was sure glad to get them back.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Rain Man
03-03-2005, 12:39
One advantage I never hear talked about about is how sturdy leather boots protect the top and sides of your feet. I had heavy, leather, Vasque boots for about 25 years. I still love them, but the inside heel leather wore out and I had to change.

Now I have some Lowa Renegades. They fit like tennis shoes, BUT do not protect the sides and tops of my feet at all (and the bottoms only somewhat).

What am I talking about? Ever step on a rock and have your foot suddenly slip sideways, or forwards, and bang into another rock -- against the side or even the top of your foot. OUCH.

My leather boots protected those sensitive areas of my feet pretty well. Now, my "new and improved" lightweight boots offer no such protection.

Anyway, everything is a tradeoff... don't let folks tell you there is one right answer. You hike your own hike and decide on your own boots. When these Lowas wear out, I may go right back to sturdy boots.
:sun
Rain Man

Spirit Walker
03-03-2005, 13:07
As others have said - if you like leather boots and don't have problems with blisters, then continue to wear them. They are generally heavier (but not necessarily a lot heavier than trail runners) and will usually last longer than lighter footwear. They do offer more protection. For snow travel, I like leather boots as they are warm, can be waterproofed, and provide more bulk when I need to edge in icy snow.

However, when wet, they will stay wet for a long time. In stream crossings, a lot of people end up taking off their boots and going barefoot rather than get boots wet, which is more dangerous (and time consuming). With runners you just splash on through. I used to wear leather boots and often had problems with blisters when the boots got wet frequently (as happened on the AT during long rainy periods) and when the boots dried they would shrink and bind my ankles in an extremely painful manner. A couple of times I almost ended trips because of it. I switched to Lowa Renegades (light boots) and was much happier. On dayhikes and desert backpacking I'll wear running shoes. I appreciate the padding in the shoes and don't need a lot of ankle support any more. But my husband will only wear boots as he finds running shoes very uncomfortable after a few miles. So YMMV

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 13:52
Leather aint bad if you are doing some serious winter hiking. I always wear my Merrell Grand Traverse's when greater than a dusting of snow is expected. For light snow or any other time, my trail runners work for me.

In wet conditions, your feet are gonna get wet regardless your shoe combo if you are out long enough. I like to have a lightweight shoe when this happens becaus lugging around a 5lb pair of boots full of water (which can make them 7lbs or more) gets old quick. Lighter weight boots will not allow water to pool up inside and dry quicker.

bulldog49
03-03-2005, 14:14
In wet conditions, your feet are gonna get wet regardless your shoe combo if you are out long enough.

Don't know how many times I have read this, but this is not necessarily true. A good Gore-Tex boot will not soak through, the only way your feet will get wet is water coming in from the top of the shoe. Wearing water proof gaitors will prevent this. As I've said before, I've hiked days in heavy rain and kept my feet dry using this combination. I don't care how many people claim otherwise, it is very doable.

By the way, leather boots designed for trail hiking do not weigh 5 pounds. Most are 3 to 3.5 lbs.

Tha Wookie
03-03-2005, 14:29
Don't know how many times I have read this, but this is not necessarily true. A good Gore-Tex boot will not soak through, the only way your feet will get wet is water coming in from the top of the shoe. Wearing water proof gaitors will prevent this. As I've said before, I've hiked days in heavy rain and kept my feet dry using this combination. I don't care how many people claim otherwise, it is very doable.

By the way, leather boots designed for trail hiking do not weigh 5 pounds. Most are 3 to 3.5 lbs.
Maybe people say that because they are experienced long-distance hikers, or they have learned it from other long-distance experienced hikers. No offense to you, of course, but series of weekend trips on the trail is not the same thing as living in the woods for months on end on an extended hike. Granted, just because you have a "weekend warrior" avatar that doesn't mean you've not done a long hike. But if it rains long enough, your feet WILL get wet from the outside or the inside, you can put your money on it.

Eventually water will drain into the buckets or your feet cannot breathe.

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 14:30

Ive been on trips before where it has rained for days on end (wearing the aforementioned leather Gore-tex hiking boots and full-length gaitors, in addition to wearing a full rainsuit) and still have gotten wet. When you are hiking in rain for 7, even 10 days straight (which I have done more times than I like...in particular, it rained the whole state of VT on our thru...8 days straight), water will find its way in no matter what your set-up. Even so, with all this garb on you are soaked from sweat anyways. Yea, its doable, maybe for a day or two, but not an extended trip. Even full goretex boots leak between the sole and uppers when hiking in 6 inches of water thats supposed to be a trail. Water also finds its way in over your boots (even though your wearing gaitors) and it also runs down your leg, behind your gaitors, and eventually into your shoe.

And yes, my pair of leather Merrell's (size 13) are 4lbs 12oz dry. No telling what they are soaking wet.

Tim Rich
03-03-2005, 14:30
My section hikes from Springer to Monson have all been in Vasque Sundowners. I'm on my second pair, with the first pair lasting until New York. I still have the original pair, using them for occasional construction projects (working in mud, pouring concrete). Many of my section hikes were in winter, early spring and late fall, particularly in the southern AT, so we were in snow, or at risk for snow, on most trips through Virginia, and got a good bit of snow on a March section in NJ/NY. I love the support and foot protection they offer, and I've never had a problem with blisters on my trips (generally range from 100 to 170 miles).

I've considered getting some lighter boots, a sort of midpoint between the Sundowners and trail runners, but it's hard for me to justify the money when I've got something that works well for me. Perhaps if I see something cheap on Sierra Trading, I'll buy something.

Take Care,

Tim

The Solemates
03-03-2005, 14:31
Maybe people say that because they are experienced long-distance hikers, or they have learned it from other long-distance experienced hikers. No offense to you, of course, but series of weekend trips on the trail is not the same thing as living in the woods for months on end on an extended hike. Granted, just because you have a "weekend warrior" avatar that doesn't mean you've not done a long hike. But if it rains long enough, your feet WILL get wet from the outside or the inside, you can put your money on it.

Precisely put.

orangebug
03-03-2005, 14:35
Plus, rain ain't the only source of water in your boots. There are feet stuffed inside that sweat - at least while you still live. Wet boots are just another part of the advanture!

Footslogger
03-03-2005, 14:42
Plus, rain ain't the only source of water in your boots. There are feet stuffed inside that sweat - at least while you still live. Wet boots are just another part of the advanture!======================================== ==========
Very true ...especially with Gortex lined boots. The same thing that keeps water out, keeps water in when it comes to Gortex. If the weather outside is relatively warm and humid and the inside of your boot is warm and damp from perspiration that internal moisture just doesn't have any place to go. Sort of like a state of equilibrium. Gortex is a wonderful membrane but it's not without its limitations. Plus, after miles and miles of bending and flexing (especially across the toe area of the boot) it will develop leaks. You can slow that process down by applying repellant treatments to the outer surface of the leather but sooner or later after days and days of non-stop rain (like we had in 2003) the boot is going to soak out. I must have hiked a good month and a half or so during my thru in 2003 with totally soaked boots ...and they were rather new and Gortex lined.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hikerjohnd
03-03-2005, 16:32
pair of Vasque Sundowners, that weigh less than two lbs
each or for the pair? As I recall, when I weighed these (and yes the sales guy thought I was nuts) they were 1.7-1.8 lbs each boot... but I might be thinking about a different pair. :-?

bulldog49
03-03-2005, 17:06

My my, aren't we full of ourselves.

I've done a solo seven day backpack in Denali National Park in September. Rained solid the last 4 days of my trip. Did an 8 day trip in the Brooks Range in June hiking over wet trailess tundra.

No offense to you sir, but hiking on a groomed trail and sleeping in shelters and being no more than a day from civilization, no matter how long you do it, is not the same thing as being isolated in Grizzley Bear country with no way of obtaining assistance in an emergency.

And oh by the way, my feet stayed dry.

Mags
03-03-2005, 17:59
Hey I once spent a whole night on a couch.
My feet stayed dried and warm in the fuzzy socks I wore.

Tough, but I did it.

Bulldog: I don't think Wookie meant anything, just innocently saying a weekend trip is a bit different than a longer trek. He only saw your heading of "weekender" and made an incorrect assumption.

Also, Wookie has done treks other than the AT where he was a bit out from civilization. He's a very experienced trekker be it trails or otherwise.

Wookie: Good to know what the word "assume" spells before making assumptions. God knows I have to at times. :)

Tha Wookie
03-03-2005, 18:10
My my, aren't we full of ourselves.

I've done a solo seven day backpack in Denali National Park in September. Rained solid the last 4 days of my trip. Did an 8 day trip in the Brooks Range in June hiking over wet trailess tundra.

No offense to you sir, but hiking on a groomed trail and sleeping in shelters and being no more than a day from civilization, no matter how long you do it, is not the same thing as being isolated in Grizzley Bear country with no way of obtaining assistance in an emergency.

WOW- guess I was dead wrong. What the hell do I know, considering I usually just hike in sandals anyway (Dropped the sundowners and leather boots after meeting my first thru-hikers and almost melting my frozen boots over a flame in the morning to de-ice them).

But what I can't figure out is how grizzly bears and proximity to civilization has an effect on rain, gravity, and sweat. Could you elaborate?

Somehow I knew you'd take my comment the worst possible way. But I have to wonder, was it the only one you read?

Perhaps I should rephrase the statement:

For a long distance hike (>200 miles), boots lose their functionality of preventing wet feet. Instead they soon become buckets.

On a shorter hike, like a weekend to weekend hike, especially when there's no trail magic and big scary bears around, boots will reportedly work just fine as long as you don't mind lugging them around and have gators.

There, now we play like nice little boys again.

Tha Wookie
03-03-2005, 18:14
Wookie: Good to know what the word "assume" spells before making assumptions. God knows I have to at times. :)
Mags,

Actually if you review my post, you'll see that I noted that his avatar does not mean he never did an extended trek.

But you're right, I am an ass sometimes.

Lord send help!

Mags
03-03-2005, 18:31
Mags,

Actually if you review my post, you'll see that I noted that his avatar does not mean he never did an extended trek.

But you're right, I am an ass sometimes.

Lord send help!

Don't forget ME. That's the second part of assume.... :)

Just trying to stop a potential blow up. E-mail is a crummy way to have conversations sometimes.

People who would get along great in person can sometimes have stupid conversations via e-mail.

I think we all fall into that category from time to time, esp. those of us who have strong opinions. :)

As others have said, if the shoe fits..er use it?

SGT Rock
03-03-2005, 21:47
GoreTex, treated leather, canvass, rubber, tried them all and I've liven in boots for months, stay in wet conditions and you will get wet. There is a UN-scientific theory that says the time it takes any footwear to wet through will be about half the time it takes them to dry out. So if you went 4 days in goretex, then after about a week they will probably finally wet through, then it will take about two weeks to dry completely. :sun

By the way, if gortex is such a great material, we would all hike in goretex clothing all day long. Hey wait, we don't do that do we? Why doom your poor feet to all that? :datz

Footslogger
03-04-2005, 00:11
By the way, if gortex is such a great material, we would all hike in goretex clothing all day long. Hey wait, we don't do that do we? Why doom your poor feet to all that? :datz============================================
Hey Rock ...Gortex has its place. You're correct that it may not be in all footwear or in all of our clothing. But when I switched to lighter weight trail shoes the style I chose was Gortex lined. The lower cut and more permeable outer material made the shoe cooler and more breathable. I wear them with gaiters and my experience has been that for the most part, they are effective in shedding moisture and keeping my feet rather dry.

To your point though ...I must admit that after 21 out of 30 days in May of 2003 my feet WERE quite wet!!

'Slogger
AT 2003

steve hiker
03-04-2005, 00:52
I mainly hike in winter and late fall, and love my Vasque Sundowners for the warmth and support they provide esp in snow. I could not see myself hiking in trail runners in 20 degrees and snow.

On the other hand, I would not wear my leather boots in the summer. Which isn't a problem for me since I hibernate in the summer.

c63
03-04-2005, 01:12
nothing worse than an injured foot early in your hike ....... so get those converse out ........ my opinion is if you have never done the light-weight thing nor hiked in runnners or gym shoes ..... is to atleast spend money on supportive boots (you can change later as most do) your ankles arn't as strong as they will be after a few 100 miles, everything gets wet regardless of the fabric, you have to really want to be outside and enjoy the beauty of your hike ..... if you got woman problems don't hike, you got drinking problems don't hike, the laws after you don't hike, if your a seed planter and want to see some beautful stuff and enjoy yourself get ready to get wet and its worth it. One thing I always do is duct tape the back of my heel and I seldom get blisters except for those nights we stayed up till around 3am in the shelter and I forgot to take the tape off, but hey I just did the roller coaster going south and was at horseshoe curve and chose not too stay at bears den the second time and slept with the copperheads ..hehe long story, bars around the curve enjoy!

flyfisher
03-04-2005, 07:59
I find negative feelings for leather boots here and there. I am pretty much stuck with Dunham 4E... I've ground down a pair of low leather waffle stompers and they seem as good as anything else I've used up. The Nimbles seem kind of flimsy.

I have used New Balance 80Xs, Chaco sandals, gore tex trail runners, and have finally tried Vasque Sundowners (leather). I only have 100 trail miles and 3 months of dayhiking experience in the boots. That will change by May. I should have a little more to say then.

SGT Rock
03-04-2005, 08:59
I keep a pair of Goretex socks for when it get bad enough to want Goretex on my feet. If you choose to go with Goretex boots, I would also recommend something like this instead of a built in membrane that cannot be removed. There are even some boots that come with this option.

bulldog49
03-04-2005, 11:55
WOW- guess I was dead wrong. What the hell do I know, considering I usually just hike in sandals anyway (Dropped the sundowners and leather boots after meeting my first thru-hikers and almost melting my frozen boots over a flame in the morning to de-ice them).

But what I can't figure out is how grizzly bears and proximity to civilization has an effect on rain, gravity, and sweat. Could you elaborate?

Somehow I knew you'd take my comment the worst possible way. But I have to wonder, was it the only one you read?

Perhaps I should rephrase the statement:

For a long distance hike (>200 miles), boots lose their functionality of preventing wet feet. Instead they soon become buckets.

On a shorter hike, like a weekend to weekend hike, especially when there's no trail magic and big scary bears around, boots will reportedly work just fine as long as you don't mind lugging them around and have gators.

There, now we play like nice little boys again.

Perhaps I over reacted in response but I thought you were being condescending in assuming I am some sort of wimp because I had a certain avatar. Because I have to work for a living, I can't take off 5 months to do a through hike and while I do hike portions of the trail from time to time, I'm not methodically section hiking the entire trail, so the weekend avatar seemed the most appropriate of those available. That said, I do several week-long 100 mile or so trips a year around the country, often in terrain and conditions much more rugged than experienced on the AT. I'm not mentioning this to brag or put down through hikers, just saying that accomplishing a through hike isn't a nescessity to make one an experienced backpacker.

The first thing on my "to do list" when I retire is a through hike.

Back to the shoe issue. Even if a shoe wets out after seven days,and my experience is 7 consecutive days of rain is a highly unusual situation for most locations, I can still hike for days with dry feet. Before I started using the gore-tex gaitors I would cross streams in my boots, thus soaking them nearly every trip out. If the weather was dry, my boots dried out in less than a day by wearing them and letting them sit in the sun with the soles removed at camp.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they should wear boots instead of trail runners, but some of the comments made about leather boots in this thread are contrary to what I have experienced.

The Sundowners I wear are 2 lbs 8 oz for the pair.

White Oak
03-04-2005, 13:12
Hey I once spent a whole night on a couch.
My feet stayed dried and warm in the fuzzy socks I wore.

Wow. How did you avoid frostbite? :)

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 13:21
Even if a shoe wets out after seven days,and my experience is 7 consecutive days of rain is a highly unusual situation for most locations, I can still hike for days with dry feet.

Depends on the season and the situation. Ive hiked in the Northwest where it rains a whole lot, at least some mist every day if not a continual shower. Ive hiked in the extreme Southeast where rainshowers come every day like clockwork midafternoon for 2 hours or so. Ive hiked in Hawaii in the rainforests where it rains every day of the year, literally. And yes, it rained (I mean poured) on us for 8 days straight on the AT during "mud season" in VT.

Then again, Ive hiked in Southwest desert terrain where it never rains.

So for most locations on the AT, yes, a week of rain is unlikely unless its the right season and conditions. I wouldnt try telling that to the thrus of 2003, however. I know one guy who said it rained over 100 days of his 160-some day thru-hike.

White Oak
03-04-2005, 13:34
I know one guy who said it rained over 100 days of his 160-some day thru-hike.
Give that man a drink!

Mags
03-04-2005, 14:06
Wow. How did you avoid frostbite? :)

Well, I did have fuzzy bunny slippers if my fuzzy socks did not keep me warm and dry. Good to have backups, you see.

cutman11
03-06-2005, 02:25
Although I agreein one sense that a thru hike is different than a section hike, I would think most thruhikers do stop periodically in towns, so as others have stated, a thru is a bunch of section hikes strung together. If my Vasque Sundowner boots were exposed to the amount of rain you speak of, I would be stopping in a town after 4-5 days of it, getting a room with a Heater, and drying the boots overnight. Most of the sections I've hiked, even in heavy rain, the boots did not get wet on the inside much, and would dry out overnight. (admittedly my hikes are in the warmer May25-Sept30 period in the south) So at least on the surface, I would agree with the support of use of at least Vasque Sundowners as a reasonable choice for the trail. Mine have 800 or so mi on them and the treads have worn considerably, most say it takes 2 pairs to make it all the way to Maine. If I hadnt already got a 2nd pair for $50 at a clearance sale, I probably would consider trying trail runners though for the middle part of the trail, until PA Rocks.

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 10:59
Although I agreein one sense that a thru hike is different than a section hike, I would think most thruhikers do stop periodically in towns, so as others have stated, a thru is a bunch of section hikes strung together. If my Vasque Sundowner boots were exposed to the amount of rain you speak of, I would be stopping in a town after 4-5 days of it, getting a room with a Heater, and drying the boots overnight. Most of the sections I've hiked, even in heavy rain, the boots did not get wet on the inside much, and would dry out overnight. (admittedly my hikes are in the warmer May25-Sept30 period in the south) So at least on the surface, I would agree with the support of use of at least Vasque Sundowners as a reasonable choice for the trail. Mine have 800 or so mi on them and the treads have worn considerably, most say it takes 2 pairs to make it all the way to Maine. If I hadnt already got a 2nd pair for $50 at a clearance sale, I probably would consider trying trail runners though for the middle part of the trail, until PA Rocks.

It isn't really good for the leather to do this.

Footslogger
03-06-2005, 11:38
It isn't really good for the leather to do this.====================================
Rock is right on the money here. Rapid drying of water soaked leather is the leading cause of premature boot death.

When leather gets wet it swells. If it is properly conditioned leather, allowed to dry slowly and then retreated it will last for years. On the other hand, if leather (even when conditioned) gets soaked and then is forced to dry quickly it actually shrinks and becomes thin. Areas of the boot, such as over the toe box are then much more prone to cracking.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Blue Jay
03-06-2005, 19:34

I have got to know how you did that. Even with the best gators some water runs down your leg and into the boots. Did you wax seal around your legs and if so how did you keep your feet from sweating. You are by far more accomplished than anyone I've ever hiked with. I have got to know how you did that.

cutman11
03-06-2005, 20:03
Well, I'll concede you are right for boots you plan to keep long term, but after 3months straight of use on the trail, I'd trade in the old smelly worn out tread boots for new ones anyway, especially if it allows me to keep my feet dry most of the way. And I'm not talking about putting them on the heater or blow drying them with a hair dryer, just keeping them in a warm dry room. Mine have always dried enough doing that so when I head out again, they arent squishy wet inside, and then the warm dry feet in them finish the job that next morning.

saimyoji
03-06-2005, 20:13
I have got to know how you did that. Even with the best gators some water runs down your leg and into the boots. Did you wax seal around your legs and if so how did you keep your feet from sweating. You are by far more accomplished than anyone I've ever hiked with. I have got to know how you did that.
BullDog49:

Could you tell us the exact boots/socks/parka/pants/other gear you used? Along with trial locations, techniques for staying dry? Any advice/help would be MAJORLY appreciated.

bulldog49
03-06-2005, 20:41
I'm talking about cool weather, not hot summer. I will agree that in summer you can't wear enough protctive clothing to keep dry. All my hiking is done Labor Day through Memorial Day.

As I said I wear goretex Sundowners, Smartwool socks, goretex Crocodile gaiters(knee length), capilene long underwear and waterproof breathable rain pants. I wear the rain paints over the gaiters so water dosen't run down my leg into the gaitors. I'm not exagerating in saying my feet stay very dry using this system. At the end of the day the capilene and smart wool are slightly damp but I wear them to sleep and are they are totally dry the next morning. I never have to walk with heavy wet boots and socks.

In winter I wear Goretex pants, in fall and spring I wear Marmot PreCip pants (when it rains that is).

It's also important to maintain the DWR on the rain pants and boots. Keeping moisture beading up on the pants and boots maintains breathability.

Places I've done week long hikes are Denali and Brooks Range in Alaska, Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota, Isle Royale Natl Park, Grand Tetons and Wind River Range in Wyoming and the Southern Appalachians.

Nean
03-07-2005, 11:29
Why is leather bad? Just ask the cow... or my vegan girlfriend! I hiked for years with boots and swore by them. I had to switch a few years back and am happy i did. still got them big boots for winter. in the end it is not the footwear that gets you there.

Bjorkin
03-07-2005, 12:38
I'm talking about cool weather, not hot summer. I will agree that in summer you can't wear enough protctive clothing to keep dry. All my hiking is done Labor Day through Memorial Day.

As I said I wear goretex Sundowners, Smartwool socks, goretex Crocodile gaiters(knee length), capilene long underwear and waterproof breathable rain pants. I wear the rain paints over the gaiters so water dosen't run down my leg into the gaitors. I'm not exagerating in saying my feet stay very dry using this system. At the end of the day the capilene and smart wool are slightly damp but I wear them to sleep and are they are totally dry the next morning. I never have to walk with heavy wet boots and socks.

In winter I wear Goretex pants, in fall and spring I wear Marmot PreCip pants (when it rains that is).

It's also important to maintain the DWR on the rain pants and boots. Keeping moisture beading up on the pants and boots maintains breathability.

Places I've done week long hikes are Denali and Brooks Range in Alaska, Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota, Isle Royale Natl Park, Grand Tetons and Wind River Range in Wyoming and the Southern Appalachians.

Knee length gaiters with rain pants? Why not shorty gaiters just for the boots and ankles. Sounds like the legs are covered, literally. Unless this is just your extreme rain setup.

bulldog49
03-07-2005, 13:05
I'm not aware of any waterproof breathable ankle length gaitors. If the short gaitors soak thru, water will seep over the top of the boot. The lower legs get much wetter then the upper leg from the backsplash off the trail. A low gaitor, even if waterproof, would likely allow water to leak in over the top.

With two waterproof layers on my lower legs overlapping my boots, my legs never get wet enough to transmit water into my boots. The Sundowners really have an excellent goretex "sock" lining which in my experience offers a superior waterproof boot. I've never had problems with the boot "wetting out" as some claim is inevitable. In addition to the Sundowners, I sometimes wear a pair of leather/fabric goretex Vasque Rangers, which are about a half pound lighter, approaching closely the weight of trail runners. While I only wear these on short weekend trips I've never had a problem with them soaking thru either.

bulldog49
03-07-2005, 13:07
I'm not aware of any waterproof breathable ankle length gaitors. If the short gaitors soak thru, water will seep over the top of the boot. The lower legs get much wetter then the upper leg from the backsplash off the trail. A low gaitor, even if waterproof, would likely allow water to leak in over the top.

With two waterproof layers on my lower legs overlapping my boots, my legs never get wet enough to transmit water into my boots. The Sundowners really have an excellent goretex "sock" lining which in my experience offers a superior waterproof boot. I've never had problems with the boot "wetting out" as some claim is inevitable. In addition to the Sundowners, I sometimes wear a pair of leather/fabric goretex Vasque Rangers, which are about a half pound lighter, approaching closely the weight of trail runners. While I only wear these on short weekend trips I've never had a problem with them soaking thru either.

Here's a link: http://www.shoestoboot.com/category.cfm/33

Blue Jay
03-08-2005, 08:37
I wear the rain paints over the gaiters so water dosen't run down my leg into the gaitors.

Smart set up, thank you. Unfortunately that would not work for me as the sweat running down my leg would soak my socks. I have used something similar in extreme cold, only I use goretex trail runners.

Nean
03-08-2005, 08:57
I think that trail condition, location and weather have less to do with dry feet than distance traveled. The hiker that covers 5-10mpd has a much better chance of keeping their dogs dry than the 15-20m hiker. A 57 chevy might still have its original tires and not leak a drop of oil.... if it has only been driven to church on Sundays.