PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for Class Credit of AT Thru-Hike

Kalell
11-09-2011, 22:56
Used to be a guide, bought (and was ready to go) all the gear for a NOBO thru hike for last year. Now I am putting together a proposal to present to a Leisure Studies program faculty panel at a local university that hiking the AT is worth college credit. The chair of the department is a thru-hiker so hopefully that will help. If anyone has any resources, quantifiable data, anything really that would bolster my proposition I would greatly appreciate it. Ultimately teaching recreation/leisure studies at a university would be a dream job, this could just be that first step. I have a Bachelors Degree in Outdoor Recreation with a Masters Degree in Education. Soon, hopefully, a doctorate in recreation. Thanks for any and all assistance.
Kalell

jesse
11-10-2011, 03:55
A person could get a Student Loan to finance their thru hike. Then join OWS, and demand their loan be forgiven.

4eyedbuzzard
11-10-2011, 07:30
You're not the first to propose this if memory serves. I think I've seen both college and HS attempts at getting credit for an AT thru. Someone a few years back talked about it - you might find it in the archives here on WB. If I remember correctly they were denied and couldn't sell the idea to their dept chairs, but good luck.

Doc Mike
11-10-2011, 07:35
Used to be a guide, bought (and was ready to go) all the gear for a NOBO thru hike for last year. Now I am putting together a proposal to present to a Leisure Studies program faculty panel at a local university that hiking the AT is worth college credit. The chair of the department is a thru-hiker so hopefully that will help. If anyone has any resources, quantifiable data, anything really that would bolster my proposition I would greatly appreciate it. Ultimately teaching recreation/leisure studies at a university would be a dream job, this could just be that first step. I have a Bachelors Degree in Outdoor Recreation with a Masters Degree in Education. Soon, hopefully, a doctorate in recreation. Thanks for any and all assistance.
Kalell

Seriously? GET A JOB

Pedaling Fool
11-10-2011, 08:42
You can become a doctor of recreation:-?

Cookerhiker
11-10-2011, 09:01
I suggest contacting the Appalachian Trail Conservancy about helping their megatransect project which includes air and water monitoring along the AT corridor. Last I heard, they look for volunteers among thruhikers. There is a scientific benefit to the research & monitoring.

Here's a link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what-we-do/conservation/natural-cultural-resource-management

swjohnsey
11-10-2011, 09:59
Oughta be worth three, maybe six hours of credit.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2011, 11:42
If there were any phys ed requirements at the school, a thru hike might get you out of those classess..

Peregrino
11-10-2011, 11:57
Hey, Kalell: Great idea! The disconnect between current American life and reality is dire....and is heading towards tragic. A good resource for information about this disconnect are two books by Richard Louv. (The Last Child in the Woods and The Nature Principle.) Good reads concerning what is called "nature deficit disorder." HYOH...we wish you well. Peregrino and Monk

p.s. Have you conducted a lit review on the topic, yet? To academia, research speaks loudly where we mere humans mumble... : ) Signed, Monk (Peregrino's wife)

Odd Man Out
11-10-2011, 13:03
I guess I'm a little confused. "College credit" is a lot different than being the topic of a doctoral thesis/dissertation. Which are you asking about. Some of the helpful comments above are from those who assume the latter. Less helpful comments about getting a job or having the government pay for it are probably from those who assume the former.

Kalell
11-10-2011, 13:22
You're not the first to propose this if memory serves. I think I've seen both college and HS attempts at getting credit for an AT thru. Someone a few years back talked about it - you might find it in the archives here on WB. If I remember correctly they were denied and couldn't sell the idea to their dept chairs, but good luck.

Looked into it and there is actually a school that does offer credit for hiking the AT in conjuction with a study field: i.e. watershed study, photography, etc. Called the department chair and you need one and a half years of course prep work before you are allowed out on the AT.

Kalell
11-10-2011, 13:32
Seriously? GET A JOB

Teaching the value of the outdoors is what gave us Central Park and kept most of the AT "wilderness". Showing others the beauty, the payoffs; of that burn you feel going up but the great view at the top, or the bonds between hikers that occur on the journey. The woods are a gift for us to share, inform, and show the importance of, to others who normally would not give nature a second thought.

booney_1
11-10-2011, 13:37
Semester-A-Trail

Check out this you tube video. It talks about Emory and Henry's semester on the AT program. This was the first year they did this. I think it would be worthwhile to take this "course". Your school might allow transfer credit from Emory and Henry.

I think that this would offer more opportunities for self discover and education than many of the study abroad programs. (which often are semester long parties...hey under 21 can drink over seas!)

booney_1
11-10-2011, 13:37
whoops here is the you tube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgs044Yq-I

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgs044Yq-I)

skinewmexico
11-10-2011, 13:38
Sounds like a lot more fun then my Thermodynamics II course was.

Feral Bill
11-10-2011, 16:25
Sounds like a lot more fun then my Thermodynamics II course was. Isn't hiking applied thermodynamics?

BobTheBuilder
11-10-2011, 17:15
A PhD in hiking? I don't know if you could get it or not, but the much more important question is, why? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but employers don't really pay you for your degree, they pay you for what you can do for them. Everybody has to make enough money to eat.

I have one son who is studying engineering in college, and one who is studying psychology. It is very clear which one will be looking to move back in with me and the wife once he graduates. Of course, if they offered a degree in skateboarding, I probably wouldn't have one in engineering, either.

swjohnsey
11-10-2011, 17:51
Colleges are trade schools? I always though they were centers of higher education.

4eyedbuzzard
11-10-2011, 19:55
Isn't hiking applied thermodynamics?Nah, applied thermodynamics is rocket science, hiking is just walking.

Kookork
11-10-2011, 20:36
Will you put thru-hiking of AT or other major trails in your resume to apply for an office job?

ChinMusic
11-10-2011, 20:38
A person could get a Student Loan to finance their thru hike. Then join OWS, and demand their loan be forgiven.

this........

Oh geez, just noticed this wasn't in the Humor Forum.............NVM

Feral Bill
11-11-2011, 00:01
Nah, applied thermodynamics is rocket science, hiking is just walking. And walking, as we all know, is not rocket science.

Nutbrown
11-11-2011, 09:28
Will you put thru-hiking of AT or other major trails in your resume to apply for an office job?

Absolutely. What else are you going to say about the missing 6 months? Thru hiking shows a lot more about a person's nature and commitment than a part time job at the gas station.

bobqzzi
11-11-2011, 12:46
Colleges are trade schools? I always though they were centers of higher education.

What's the differnece, really?

ChinMusic
11-11-2011, 13:03
What's the differnece, really?

Trade schools prepare you with marketable skills.
Some higher education degrees just make you think you are smart.

kyhiker610
11-11-2011, 13:19
a guy in 2010 got college credit for hiking.. he did one of those "make your own class" things, and did it on edible plants on the AT. We had things like ramps in our food, and pine needle tea. it worked for him!

blackbird04217
11-11-2011, 14:13
I know I certainly did; it shows I have the dedication and commitment to see something through.

ChinMusic
11-11-2011, 14:22

Knowing what I know now, if I see a resume that says they have hiked the AT and PCT.....I KNOW they will be wanting another summer off, and soon.