PDA

View Full Version : avoiding the heat...

Megapixel
11-09-2011, 23:47
Where would you need to be most years in order to avoid a "mid-atlantic heat wave" while hiking NOBO? And by when? Example: Vermont, July 1st. Of course I know it varies year to year, but I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

Feral Bill
11-09-2011, 23:51
I've been thinking about this, and it seems that a late start southbound would do the trick, at least for a person happy hiking the mid-Atlantic states in winter.

map man
11-10-2011, 00:20
I would think that Vermont by June 15 would be a safer bet to avoid more heat.

Somewhat related to your question, I've given some thought lately on how to do a calendar-year thru-hike while avoiding extremes of both heat and cold. First, do a relatively quick hike -- say 4.5 months (about 20 weeks). Second, start the hike around April 1 in northern Virginia and spend two months hiking southbound to Springer -- sure May can be hot in the south but a lot of May would be hiked at higher elevations in places like the Smokies, Nantahalas, and northern Georgia. Then, sit out all of June and July. Finally, restart around August 1 at Katahdin and hike 2.5 months southbound to get to the point you started in northern Virginia in mid-October. I'd think this plan would minimize (though not completely eliminate) sub-freezing nights and daytime highs over 85 degrees F.

Cookerhiker
11-10-2011, 09:15
...Somewhat related to your question, I've given some thought lately on how to do a calendar-year thru-hike while avoiding extremes of both heat and cold. First, do a relatively quick hike -- say 4.5 months (about 20 weeks). Second, start the hike around April 1 in northern Virginia and spend two months hiking southbound to Springer -- sure May can be hot in the south but a lot of May would be hiked at higher elevations in places like the Smokies, Nantahalas, and northern Georgia. Then, sit out all of June and July. Finally, restart around August 1 at Katahdin and hike 2.5 months southbound to get to the point you started in northern Virginia in mid-October. I'd think this plan would minimize (though not completely eliminate) sub-freezing nights and daytime highs over 85 degrees F.

I've thought of a very similar approach: start Harpers Ferry in mid-March, hike south to Springer (I don't think May is usually unbearably hot in the Southern mountains). Wait until about August 10, start at Katahdin, hike south to Harpers Ferry. Not only to you avoid the mid-Atlantic heat & humidity, you also miss most of the bugs in Maine, at least from my experience.

Assuming you don't have to work for a living, spend July hiking the Rockies or Sierra to stay in shape.

garlic08
11-10-2011, 09:28
As Mapman said, speed is one way to do it on a NOBO thru hike. Avoiding heat was one of my goals when I left Springer in early April of '08. I walked swiftly and got into New England by mid June. The first real heat that year hit the first week of June and it was in the low 100s in New York. I'm glad I was there, not VA. But then I had to deal with deep mud, biting flies, swift fords, and lingering snow in New England, so there is no real panacea. It was a pretty harsh winter and I'm glad I didn't leave much earlier.

stranger
11-13-2011, 03:16
I think the best way would be to leave NOBO in April, when the heat finally arrives in June and doesn't get cool anymore at night, jump to Katahdin and hike SOBO...you would probably get the heat window down to 2 weeks or so.

stranger
11-13-2011, 03:17
I think the best way would be to leave NOBO in April, when the heat finally arrives in June and doesn't get cool anymore at night, jump to Katahdin and hike SOBO...you would probably get the heat window down to 2 weeks or so.

Megapixel
11-13-2011, 07:09
yeah i like your idea the best Stranger; the only downside i see besides the anti-climatic finish/ continuous northward push would be whatever group of people you are hiking with you will lose touch with... but you would cross paths with them once more most likely.

johnnybgood
11-13-2011, 09:39
Like Cookerhiker noted above , a flipflop works best . If you're intent is to do a a NOBO thru then it really depends on how fast you hike , how many days zeroing , town stays , etc.

I think leaving before the crowd in late March would be ideal so by late May you're trekking through northern Virginia and will miss the hottest weather the mid -atlantic has to offer by late June , July and August.

If I learned anything at all the last few summers , it is wise to bring a liter of Gatorade ~ something with electrolytes , along with plenty of water for hiking in hot humid conditions.

jlb2012
11-13-2011, 09:55
If I learned anything at all the last few summers , it is wise to bring a liter of Gatorade ~ something with electrolytes , along with plenty of water for hiking in hot humid conditions.

recommend Nuun tablets or equivalent (CamelBak brand is also available) added to water instead of Gatorade

DavidNH
11-13-2011, 10:04
heck, if you are in Vermont July 1st.. you can have a horrible heat wave there. I'd say be in Vermont by early June.

stranger
11-14-2011, 07:08
This is why you need to turn around and go sobo in my view, because if you go in one direction, north...and plan on being in Vermont in early June, you better really, really like mosquitos.

I don't know if it's possible to start at Springer, hike nobo, finish at Katahdin AND miss the heat of the mid-atlantic / southern new-england. If there is a way, you will need to at least put up with bugs. If one was to leave Springer say 1 March, a experienced and strong hiker could reach Vermont by the end of May or first week in June, right in time for blackfly season, but you are unlikely to see much extreme heat.

In terms of heat...I think the best goer is my earlier suggestion, or leave Katahin 1 July and head sobo.

Grampie
11-14-2011, 11:12
Before you consider a flip-flop hike think about the following: If you are any kind of social person, you will meet a lot of folks and make lasting friends with some of them. When you frip, you will leave all these friendships behind you. The amount of hikers going SOBO from Katahdin after mid July are few and the chance of making friends will be lessend. You will find yourself hiking alone a great part of the time.
To end a thru hike at a spot other than Katahdin or Springer is so anticlimatic.
To beat the heat and do a conventinal thru, ie, NOBO, on the real hot and humid days start early, take a mid day break and hike again into the early evening. By doing this you can still do the required mileage and avoid the hottest time of the day.
I have to agree that it does get hot and humid in July & August and this is for most of the trail. It's just another hardship you have to plan around and learn to endure it.

paradoxb3
11-16-2011, 14:03
I hiked NOBO in 2010, March 16th to Aug 10th, I hit Vermont in Late June, and towards the end of vermont going into Hanover we had about a week or so heatwave where it was pegging 100 degrees. We arrived in Hanover on July 7th. I agree with DavidNH. While weather is anything but predictable, Vermont by early June would probably work best. Heat wave aside, 2010 still provided one hellouva awesome hiking season I would never complain about.