PDA

View Full Version : Noob here!

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-10-2011, 10:28
Heya all!

New here. Planning to leave Springer Mtn April 1 2013 and making it to Mount Katahdin sometime after that :)

Learned alot by reading posts so far. Thank you for all the knowledge so far. Starting getting gear together and saving money.

Just woke up one day, realized I was 40, and all ive done since college was work and get married, with brief weekends in the woods. Time to live life, and not let the career dictate it.

Getting in shape, hiking in the mountains most weekends, and 4-5 days a week in the gym.

One question, what is a recommended digital camera for such a trek? keeping storage in mind, and obviously weight.

Thanks all, I really look forward to seeing some of you on the trail, making new friends, and an adventure of a lifetime.

Peace
Jeffro

rowan
11-10-2011, 10:53
Hi there, noobs unite! I also recently joined the forum, and am also planning a through-hike in the spring. I will be finding myself a dig-cam, and although I don't know specifics, I can recommend cannons. If you find the right cam, they have a super fast shutter speed and quick focus, which is key for moving objects. I'll definitely be looking in that direction when its time to buy. Best of luck!

corialice81
11-10-2011, 10:58
i used a sony cybershot and here is a link to the quality of photos it took: www.cholladay.smugmug.com

(ps. I'm not a photographer by any means)

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-10-2011, 11:37
Corialice, those are some great photo's. Nice Blister! :) Thanks for the advice.

Rowan, are you planning on 2012, or 2013?

Either way those Mayans better be wrong about the world ending in 2012 before my hike.

rowan
11-10-2011, 14:43
J.S.W. - as far as I know, all the Mayans predicted was a cosmic shift, perhaps in consciousness - and that is definitely what we will be experiencing by hopping on the trail. I am planning on mid-late march 2012 - can't wait. I saw your post in my noob thread, and I'll definitely keep the ride offer in mind. Will you be driving from ATL to springer, and leaving the vehicle? My brother has volunteered to drive me down from NC, but it may be easier for him to drop me off in atl and catch a ride from there. Many thanks for the offer.

Anything in particular set you off in the direction of this adventure?

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-10-2011, 16:21
Cool man, im down for whatever, i have a truck, throw the gear in we'll ride. stop and get us some wings and brew too. :)

Actually I grew up hiking it in scouts, it's been a dream to thru hike it since then, then came across this thing on National Geographic on Netflix, on HD on the AT. I became a 13 year old kid all over again...came at a time when i am pretty much done with my career in IT (Director), and ready for a change. Believe me it aint easy, i hiked the Smoky Mtn National park section a couple months ago, and it was pretty tough, but a BLAST and saw a 500 lb Elk on the trail.

how bout you?

ParkRat09
11-11-2011, 01:08
I can recommend a great camera that I originally bought for a NOLS lightweight backpacking course in the Rockies a few months ago...its the Pentax Optio W80. It's shockproof, waterproof and dustproof. It also takes really nice 12MP pictures and a great zoom. Very lightweight also, which was and still is always a big concern with me as I am an ultralight backpacker.

One of my favorite features of it too is the panoramic setting that stitches 3 pictures you take into one huge one, which is awesome for mountain overlooks.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-11-2011, 09:44
Thank you PackRat. Ill look into that as well.

Lando11
11-11-2011, 11:16
I found a camera to be inconvenient on a thru hike. first thing i sent home this year. Just another thing to keep dry and keep batteries for. newer smart phones (iphone 4, new google phones) take amazing pics and HD videos. hell, a smart phone can replace a lot of stuff in your pack. mp3 player, camera, guide book(both are available on pdf) , and any other books you may be carrying. I watched a buddy send home 4 lbs of crap, that was replaced by a 6oz droid.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-14-2011, 09:30
You have a great point. Not sure I want my wife calling me on the trail. :)

Spokes
11-14-2011, 11:37
i used a sony cybershot and here is a link to the quality of photos it took: www.cholladay.smugmug.com

(ps. I'm not a photographer by any means)

I used the Cybershot as well and was pleased. Whatever you decide on grab a bunch of cheap memory cards off eBay and mail them home (delivery confirmation) when full. Oh, and don't forget to take a bunch of short video clips along the way. You'll enjoy watching them when rocking in front of the fireplace when you get old and grey....

DavidNH
11-14-2011, 11:44
it should be nobos not noobs shouldn't it?

Jeffrey Scott Wise
11-14-2011, 13:47
In this case I am a Noob and a NoBo. :)

Spokes
11-14-2011, 13:50
Sounds like a trail name- Nu No Bo.