PDA

View Full Version : cost consideration

plodder
03-03-2005, 10:02
Gutcheck time. I covered the $/mile. I covered the gear, backup boots, and socks. I read Sgt. Rock's budget. Figured I could cut some of that, but then I found the cost consideration thread. Humor me. Non-partier, but like to eat...Doable? I would not enjoy eating grubs from NH north. I can see where the ice cream sandwich thing could chew money etc.

Spirit Walker
03-03-2005, 10:43
The main thing is to not stay in towns more than a few hours. Camping just before town, going in in the morning, spending the day, and leaving late afternoon works best. Go in, get cleaned up, buy food and get out. I've known hikers who did the trail on less than $1000 - it can be done. But you don't go for beer and pizza very often and you don't stay at the Best Western. You don't spend three days waiting for the weather to clear up. Don't go into town at all unless you really need resupply. Often you'll be with a group and one will have a maildrop in one town and someone else will want a hamburger in the next and before you know it, you've spent a lot more time and money than you ever planned in town with your buddies.

Best advice - do whatever you can to get more money than you think you'll need. It isn't fun to be left behind eating Ramen when your friends go out for pizza. If your equipment fails or disappears (i.e. left behind in a shelter or a pickup truck that gave you a ride or dropped off your pack) it is nice to be able to replace it. If you get townitis (stomach upset from change of diet) you may want to go to a doctor to be sure it isn't giardia. It is nice to have a cushion for emergencies and unexpected events (i.e. being offered a place on a raft trip, or a ride to a concert). Low budget is common on the trail - but it is nice to not have to worry about every penny spent.

hipo
03-03-2005, 10:48
Well If need be you might want to work a couple of days,week,just a though,in harpers ferry they usually are looking for help,and its about halfway:rolleyes: Hipo

Jaybird
03-03-2005, 10:58
Gutcheck time. I covered the $/mile. I covered the gear, backup boots, and socks. I read Sgt. Rock's budget. Figured I could cut some of that, but then I found the cost consideration thread. Humor me. Non-partier, but like to eat...Doable? I would not enjoy eating grubs from NH north. I can see where the ice cream sandwich thing could chew money etc.

Hey, I LOVE BAR HARBOR, MAINE!.....back to topic!

estimates are...you can do the trail @ anywhere from $1 to $2 per mile....
if you arent much of a party person...& can stay on the trail & tent/shelter rather than go into every "TRAIL TOWN" you come close to...you can make it......

SGT.ROCK has a budget?????

Peaks
03-03-2005, 19:44
Hiking the trail is basically free. It's the towns that cost money. How much you spend is related to how much time you spend in towns. If you are hiking on the cheap, then don't stay in towns, don't eat at restaurants, and don't have habits like beer and smokes. Now, most of us do enjoy various degrees of comfort and do take days off. So, we do stay in motels and hostels at least occassionally, we do eat in restaurants when in towns. How much you spend depends on how often you indulge yourself.

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2005, 20:44
If you look in the "Information" section of Whiteblaze, you'll see an excellent article by Weathercarrot on hiking on a budget. Basically, he says what other folks have told you: If you can avoid the temptation of spending too much time in town, you'll be fine.

Spirit Walker gave great advice: Whatever budget you come up with, try and add 15-25% to keep as an emergency fund. You NEVER know when you're going to have unexpected gear or health issues, and having to get off the trail and work for a month cause you're broke, or worse, getting off altogether when you really don't want to, is a really rough way to go.

And don't start out by assuming you'll be able to pick up all sorts of work and short-term odd jobs everywhere. This is not necessarily the case, nor wil advertised "work for stays" always be available at hostels and other Trail facilities. In some cases, they won't be, or the job spots will be filled by the time you arrive.

Hiking on a really tight budget can be done, but it takes a bit of work, and a lot of discipline. What helps even more is if you work and save a few extra weeks so your budget is a little less tight from the beginning.

Freeze
03-04-2005, 00:57
If you're running out of money while hiking the trail, or just don't have enough, finance it. Buy everything with a credit card, and save the money to make the minimum payments for the six months. When you get back home and get a job, pay the credit card balance.
This might not be the best economical solution (ie, you'll pay interest and will have a bill to pay when you get home), but it will enable you to hike. Just make sure your credit card has a reasonable interest rate. Look for one with 2.9% to 3.9% so you don't get raped!