PDA

View Full Version : Best Ga AT section hike between Springer and GA-NC Border???

Mountain Tech
11-10-2011, 15:49
Some buddies and I are wanting to hike about 15 + or - miles this weekend on some portion of the AT between Springer and the NC border. We are planning on catching either a cheap motel friday night since we are coming from the city late after work OR arriving as close to a shelter as possible where we can leave 1 of our 2 cars. We plan on hiking all days saturday, camping at a shelter that night and doing it again on sunday until dark in enough time to reach our 2nd car that will hopefully be close to our ending shelter/point.
Of all the pros out there, does anyone recommend any certain 15 + or - section to try to do this? We would really like to hike the best section since this is a not-so-often chance we get to take a weekend of hiking the AT so we really want, in your opinion, the best 15 miles or so you can do in a weekend. Any recommendations on starting points/shelters/ending points?
Thanks so much !

SassyWindsor
11-10-2011, 22:16
Woody Gap to Neels Gap. Traverse Blood Mtn with great views (on a clear day) of Atlanta and nearby Stone Mtn. The section between Neels Gap and Blood Mtn probably one of the most hiked sections of trail in GA.

wildmonkey
11-17-2011, 12:40
This is worth a look, even though it's not part of the trail- Cossa Back Country Trail 12.7 Miles

Kerosene
11-17-2011, 13:26
Another, easy hiking alternative might be Hog Pen Gap to Unicoi Gap. There's a somewhat rugged climb before the Blue Mountain Shelter, but most of it follows an old railroad grade or logging road I believe and it's a great level bit of trail (although I don't recall any views).

birdygal
11-17-2011, 17:17
we did tesnate gap to Unicoi gap easily in 2 days even with it raining 15 miles

BlakeGrice
12-20-2011, 00:58
Just did Woody to Neels last weekend- first day went all the way to Blood Mtn and stayed in the shelter. It was a great "2" day trip. I say 2 days, but the second day was only the 2.4 miles down Blood to our car. Highly recommend this trip for an overnight.

Papa D
12-20-2011, 09:04
that is a section.

max patch
12-20-2011, 09:44
Just did Woody to Neels last weekend- first day went all the way to Blood Mtn and stayed in the shelter. It was a great "2" day trip. I say 2 days, but the second day was only the 2.4 miles down Blood to our car. Highly recommend this trip for an overnight.

Are they done with the shelter renovation?

wornoutboots
12-20-2011, 17:44
come 1st serve in GA

wornoutboots
12-20-2011, 17:44
come 1st serve in GA

Sorry 1st come 1st serve in GA

wornoutboots
12-20-2011, 17:46
Wow sorry I need a beer? I read "are they done with shelter reservations" :D

Razor
12-20-2011, 23:18
Yes, renovations finished

jesse
12-21-2011, 06:21
You could spend the night at the Lodge at Amacola Falls State Park. In the morning eat the breakfast buffet, then hike the Approach trail to Springer, then hike the AT to Three Forks. I think its about 12-13 miles. From your camp you could walk to Long Falls, for a view of a great waterfall. Next day hike the Benton Mackaye Trail back to Springer, then the Approach trail back to your car.
Or, do as wild monkey suggested, do the Coosa Back Country Trail. It is a 12 mile loop. Great trail fairly isolated. To do that trail go to Vogel State Park, and get a permit. (its free).