PDA

View Full Version : getting mold out of silnylon: a lesson learned

hambone5126
11-11-2011, 01:07
backstory: i stuffed my silnylon dry bag in my day pack, thew some beers and ice in it, and headed off to have a good time with my improvised backpack cooler. after drinking a few (way) too many of said beers, i left the dry bag with a few cans left in it at a buddies house.

skip to a week and a half later

i got the bag back and upon opening, i found that a science experiment had cultivated inside. i cleaned most of it out hand washing with warm water and dish soap, but there are still black spots which seem impregnated into the nylon, and it still vaugely smells like mold.

anyone know any good way to get this stuff out? or am i stuck with it? :confused:

thanks,
hambone

JAK
11-11-2011, 04:31
Interesting. Try vinager, then lots of sunlight, using the sun not the detergent.

Texico
11-12-2011, 01:26
Mirazyme might work for what you have in mind. It's designed to get odor caused by mold, mildew, and such out of different fabrics. Could be worth a shot.

http://www.rei.com/product/694530/mcnett-mirazyme-odor-eliminator

hambone5126
11-14-2011, 16:14
thanks for the advice. im gonna try the vinegar once i get home. if that doesnt work, i guess ill try to get some of that mirazyme

hikergurl
11-14-2011, 16:28
You could also try Simple Green, but I don't know if it is more or less potent than Mirazyme