PDA

View Full Version : Smokies SOBO Section Hike

ParkRat09
11-11-2011, 21:20
Anyone done this? What did your plan look like (miles per day and shelters stayed at)? I had a plan set up for a NOBO trip but I think I am going to switch it to SOBO and get picked up at Fontana.

Papa D
11-11-2011, 23:39
I did it last week (with 441 closed) -- it was snowy and icy - I did it in under 4 days:

Day One: Davenport Gap (Tenn Hgy 32) to Ice Water Springs - 28 miles (I know, big day, but it was the bomb - started at 5:45 am - finished at dark)
Day Two: Icewater Spriings to Derrick Knob Shelter - 21 miles --on cruise control
Day Three:Derrick Knob to Mollies Ridge - I only did about 12 miles but it was raining and snowing and foggy and I has some whisky at Derrick Knob with some old timers
Day Four: Mollies Ridge to Brown Fork Gap - this was 10 miles out of the GSMNP plus 12 more or so (I think)
Day Five: Brown Fork to NOC -16 miles? - 2 beers at River's End Restaurant and another with some folks at "basecamp" taking a WFR course - slept at basecamp hostel

Yes, I'm unusual - but this was fun. I'd say that most people should plan on 5 days to do the park.

OldFeet
11-14-2011, 12:47
I'm 61 did this SOBO in May 2010. You're quite a bit younger so can probably do more miles but this was pretty comfortable. Day 1 Davenport Gap to Cosby Knob 8 mile; Day 2 Cosby Knob to Peck's Corner 12.9; Day 3 Peck's Corner to Mt. Collins 14.9 miles; Day 4 Mt. Collins to Derrick's Knob 13.5 miles; Day 5 Derrick's Knob to Mollie's Ridge 11.7 miles, Day 6 Mollie's Ridge to Fontana Dam 10.6 miles.

Generally I'd hit the trail around 7:30 AM and was in the shelter around 3-3:30 with the exception of day 3 when I took farily long breaks at Icewater Spring and Newfound Gap and got into Mt. Collins around 5:00 PM.

May was a great time to hike this as the shelters weren't crowded and daytime temps were generally in the low 60's with mid to low 30's at night. Be sure to bring your rain gear and I'd recommend the side trip to Mt. Cammer the first day especially if the weather is good. I had lunch there and the 360 degree view from the firetower made it worth the side trip. The Shuckstack (sp?) firetower south of Mollies Ridge also offers some great views.

bmwsmity
11-14-2011, 16:52
I did NOBO last summer from Fontana to Standing Bear Farm in four days. I'd definitely recommend taking 5 days if you value your knees (I'm only 30 and mine hurt frequently after this trip), and if you actually want to stop and enjoy views, take pics, etc. also, some days I was ending at 7pm which would be after dark now.

That said, it was probably my favorite section yet...

rmitchell
11-14-2011, 20:46
Old Feet's plan looks good. In fact it would work well north or south bound. I did a similar hike in 1976 and still have good memories of it.
You may have to be flexible though, since some shelters can close due to bear activity or be filled. Make reservations 30 days out. You can cancel or change if needed.

OPIE
11-15-2011, 01:50
My plan is to start at Clingman's Wednesday 23rd, and stay at Icewater day 1, Pecks day 2 and hit cosby on Friday night. But I just got a call yesterday that Ice Water was closed. That smacks my first day. I'm going to wait it out, see if they open it back. If not I'll start at NFG and hit Pecks Corner the first night. Shortens by trip by a day though.

chelko
11-15-2011, 11:46
You could drop down Sweat Heifer trail to Kephart Shelter on day 1 5.4 miles. Kephart is a great shelter. Then climb back up to the AT and over to Pecks for Day two 9.8 miles and not a bad climb. Then continue on to Cosby Shelter 13.5 miles on Day 3.

Or you could go to Pecksd on day one 10.4 miles. Then to Tricorner Knob on day 2 about 5.5 miles. Then on to Cosby on day 3 about 8.2 miles.

I have done it both ways and they are both nice hikes.

Enjoy.

ParkRat09
11-15-2011, 21:10
I'm 61 did this SOBO in May 2010. You're quite a bit younger so can probably do more miles but this was pretty comfortable. Day 1 Davenport Gap to Cosby Knob 8 mile; Day 2 Cosby Knob to Peck's Corner 12.9; Day 3 Peck's Corner to Mt. Collins 14.9 miles; Day 4 Mt. Collins to Derrick's Knob 13.5 miles; Day 5 Derrick's Knob to Mollie's Ridge 11.7 miles, Day 6 Mollie's Ridge to Fontana Dam 10.6 miles.

Generally I'd hit the trail around 7:30 AM and was in the shelter around 3-3:30 with the exception of day 3 when I took farily long breaks at Icewater Spring and Newfound Gap and got into Mt. Collins around 5:00 PM.

May was a great time to hike this as the shelters weren't crowded and daytime temps were generally in the low 60's with mid to low 30's at night. Be sure to bring your rain gear and I'd recommend the side trip to Mt. Cammer the first day especially if the weather is good. I had lunch there and the 360 degree view from the firetower made it worth the side trip. The Shuckstack (sp?) firetower south of Mollies Ridge also offers some great views.

I've actually been up to Mt Cammerer and it is the best view in the Smokies I've seen

ParkRat09
11-15-2011, 21:12
My plan is to start at Clingman's Wednesday 23rd, and stay at Icewater day 1, Pecks day 2 and hit cosby on Friday night. But I just got a call yesterday that Ice Water was closed. That smacks my first day. I'm going to wait it out, see if they open it back. If not I'll start at NFG and hit Pecks Corner the first night. Shortens by trip by a day though.
YEa they closed Icewater fairly recently and said they don't see it reopening very soon, so there's prob no point in trying to wait it out