PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek?

moocow
11-12-2011, 11:57
I did a search and still couldn't find what I was looking for?
Where do I find it? I thought I once heard I could go to a home depot and find it in the paint section. Went there and they had no idea what it was. I ended up buying the clear 7 mil. plastic that people use. Is this it? Am I missing something?

10-K
11-12-2011, 12:05
Look in the lumber department, they have it.

swjohnsey
11-12-2011, 12:05
No. I think Home Depot and Lowes sell their own brand. Go to a home building site and scronge or beg if you don't want to buy a whole roll.

Storm
11-12-2011, 12:18
You can find pieces on Ebay, it's a little pricey but much cheaper than buying a whole roll.

Espero
11-12-2011, 12:34
You can buy kite Tyvek at www.intothewind.com (http://www.intothewind.com). Kite Tyvek is lighter than house wrap Tyvek, though not as durable.

ippon
11-12-2011, 14:27
I bought a piece big enough for a ground sheet/ emergency tarp for about $8 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyvek-Ground-Cloth-Sheet-9-tent-ultralight-tarp-light-/120797758317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c201b836d

kayak karl
11-12-2011, 15:20
No. I think Home Depot and Lowes sell their own brand. Go to a home building site and scronge or beg if you don't want to buy a whole roll.
they sell both, but you do not want their brand. it can not be washed and softened.

OP how much are you looking for???

atmilkman
11-12-2011, 15:53
You can find pieces on Ebay, it's a little pricey but much cheaper than buying a whole rsoll.
Ditto on Ebay. Got mine for $.99 ft free ship. Looks like its gone up a bit, but like Storm says cheaper than buying a whole roll.

Papa D
11-12-2011, 16:26
The best grade was made by DOW -- mine is the "Weathermate" -- This is very lightweight so, I have opted for the thicker mil -- it lays down nice under a tent even in a good breeze and is a little stiffer than other brands -- I pack it folded at the bottom of my backpack which is also nice when setting the pack down constantly on wet ground (sometimes pack covers don't really get this area).

moocow
11-12-2011, 16:31
will the clear plastic i bought not work? i just found it at the store and didn't expect to pay that much for a ground cloth when the brand name footprint is half that price. I'm not trying to be cheap, just reasonable.

swjohnsey
11-12-2011, 17:47
It'll work, probably heavier.

Espero
11-12-2011, 22:31
will the clear plastic i bought not work? i just found it at the store and didn't expect to pay that much for a ground cloth when the brand name footprint is half that price. I'm not trying to be cheap, just reasonable.

Dude, you're over thinking this. Yes, your 7 mil. plastic will probably work, but you started this thread with Tyvek. What's your goal; is it to keep your tent floor from being punctured; your sleeping bag clean; your inflatable mattress from leaking? There are a myriad of materials that will suffice, however Tyvek is used by many because it is durable, light and cheap. If you already have plastic; use it.

Ezra
11-12-2011, 22:34
Your plastic will work fine.

daddytwosticks
11-13-2011, 13:49
Your plastic will work fine. I use sections of painter's drop cloth as footprints/ground cloth also. However, 7 mil seems like overkill. I think I use 2 or 3 mil and it holds up fine. :)

MuddyWaters
11-13-2011, 21:56
7 mil will be very heavy

tyvek will weigh about 7 oz for a footprint for a 2 person tent

2.5 mil plastic will weigh similar

polycro will be about 1.8 oz

mylar space blanket from Walmart will be 1-2 oz

your 7 mil will likely weigh almost 1/2 lb more than tyvek, and almost a lb more than the lighter alternatives.

swjohnsey
11-13-2011, 22:19
A little off topic but . . .

What sort of Tyvek would work best for a little sign: "Thru-hiker to town" on one side and "Thru-hiker to trail" on the other. What would work for the lettering? I will use it to sit on if the lettering is durable enough.

kayak karl
11-13-2011, 22:25
A little off topic but . . .

What sort of Tyvek would work best for a little sign: "Thru-hiker to town" on one side and "Thru-hiker to trail" on the other. What would work for the lettering? I will use it to sit on if the lettering is durable enough.
this paint works on washed tyvek also http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/195/products_id/856
they are also a good source for carbon fiber for DIY
AND TYVEK http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_162

Banjopickin
11-15-2011, 21:51
http://www.antigravitygear.com/tyvek-ground-cloth-by-the-foot.html...you can buy Tyvek by the foot...Also a great ultralight sight. Rep'n NC

texas&fla
11-19-2011, 20:10
For those that use Tyvek, How many nights do you usually get out of a piece?

All immensities, whether mountain or problems, are overcome by one step at a time

Summit
11-19-2011, 20:28
Your plastic will work fine. I use sections of painter's drop cloth as footprints/ground cloth also. However, 7 mil seems like overkill. I think I use 2 or 3 mil and it holds up fine. :)I have been using 2 mil and love how light and well it works! You can get a roll from Walmart for a few bucks which will make two two-man tent footprints. Tyvak will seep (soak through) after a while, and it's heavier than 2 mil plastic. I recently switched to this solution after my expensive Sierra Designs footprint started seeping water through and leaving me with a wet tent bottom even in minimally wet conditions. The 2 mil plastic has left me with a perfectly dry tent floor even in heavy rain conditions. Cheap, light, and works . . . can't go wrong! ;)

AndyBees
11-22-2011, 01:36
By design, Tyvek is suppose to let moisture thru.............. during construction of my house, I gave it a wrap of Tyvek!

Summit
11-22-2011, 09:27
By design, Tyvek is suppose to let moisture thru.............. during construction of my house, I gave it a wrap of Tyvek!That's why I switched to painter's plastic for tent ground protection. I still have/use a piece of Tyvek that I keep in my pack lid to sit on during leg breaks when the ground is damp. Works fine in that situation.

lunatic
11-22-2011, 11:08
For those that use Tyvek, How many nights do you usually get out of a piece?

I used one 7' X 3' piece for my entire '09 thru-hike. used it under my tarp tent and in shelters under my sleeping bag. also used it on the 1000 miles i've hiked since then. just threw it out last month because i could no longer wash the "stink" out of it. smelled very bad but was still in one usable piece. the stuff is tough.

texas&fla
11-24-2011, 01:12
thanks lunatic!

B-Rabbit
11-24-2011, 01:33
http://www.prolitegear.com/tyvek.html Check this out.