PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira resupply

ole slo
11-12-2011, 12:48
How easy is it to resupply Aqua Mira on a long AT hike?

Sugarfoot
11-12-2011, 14:25
You can usually, but not always, find it at full-service outfitters along the way. I've run into several occasions when they were out of stock. For that reason, I plan to buy a supply in advance and include it in my mail drops.

garlic08
11-12-2011, 15:00
I had bought a couple of spares for resupply drops, but never needed them. One set was more than enough for the trail. There is so much excellent spring water, it seemed a shame to drop chemicals into it. I used it the few times I had to get water from pasture land or beaver ponds. I hiked early in a wet year, so it may not always be that good.

Echraide
11-12-2011, 15:51
I didn't want to have to spend an entire zero hunting for places that might stock them so I just bought them ahead of time and sent them to myself in my mail drops.

Spokes
11-12-2011, 16:49
I kept a couple extras in my bounce box.

Funny story........ The outfitter people in Kent, CT (really an ice cream shop, t-shirt store) said they hardly ever stock "the stuff". Of course they didn't know what hikers used Tyvek for either.

ole slo
11-13-2011, 13:07
Thanks for the good info folks.

Linesman
11-13-2011, 21:08
I couldnt find mira anywhere in maine. I had to resort to free iodine and bleach

Papa D
11-13-2011, 21:37
Read Garlic's excellent post:

First decide if you need to treat - obviously not if straight from a spring (as long as no other adverse condtions exist)
and then consider treating each quart with 5 drops vs 7 drops (like I do) and letting the reaction in the mixing cup go a little longer - 7-8 min. vs 5 minutes
also consider bleach as an alternative and remember that for cooking, you don't need to treat - you don't need to boil water for a long time - just boiling does it.

Also, funny post there Spokes about the "outfitter" in Kent - that shop isn't really an outfitter store - more a store for mall walkers who want to venture into the forest for an hour or so before
they return to their cocktail hour at the piano bar.

coach lou
11-13-2011, 21:57
Kent is a wonderful little town to shop for antiques while your visiting Buffy and Tad at Kent Prep School. About 11 miles north @ Ct. Route 4 & Route 7 is small general store, a clean No-Tell-Motel, and an excellent Fly Shop that carries a modest supply of camping gear.

lunatic
11-18-2011, 11:10
Kent is a wonderful little town to shop for antiques while your visiting Buffy and Tad at Kent Prep School.

That is great! AHHHHHHHHHahahahaha....:)