PDA

View Full Version : Warmth

Dick Dynamo
11-12-2011, 22:30
Im getting on the trail on march 2nd, and i'm expecting it to be COLD. Wondering what kind of layering worked for people to keep warm? Down jacket? Fleece? Wool?
Getting some midweight merino Wool upper and lower undies, Synthetic long sleeve shirt, (some kind of jacket)
Pants? Got a sweet pair of Mountain Khakai pants (i think they are the originals but no too sure)

What kind of Layering did everyone use and/or plan on using?

MuddyWaters
11-13-2011, 00:10
i like a wool long sleeve 1/4 zip baselayer, 100 wt fleece midlayer hoody, lightwt synthetic jacket like nanopuff or thermawrap, a puffy down vest , and an external shell/rain jacket .

If you have a down sleeping bag, most of your insulating layers need to be synthetic in case things get wet. If you have a synthetic bag, your insulating layers can be more down. For lower body I only use synthetic long johns. Puffy pants are good for sleeping or lounging but if bag is rated well enough, are not needed. More insulation in bag is far more weight efficient than the wt of carrying puffy pants.

When you are moving you wont be cold if you are dry. If you get too cold when you stop, you just get into your sleeping bag.

Ironbelly
11-13-2011, 00:24
March is the changeover period for the most part. You will have periods where it will be cold, and period where its warmer. You can have snow, rain, or a mix. The bright side is it generally isnt bitterly cold in March, though it still can easily and frequently does drop below freezing. In the shoulder seasons (early spring and late fall) I typically bring:
*Note* I live in the NE
Head: Smartwool beanie and balaclava, wicking baseball cap
Torso: Capaline 3 l/s shirt, columbia long sleeve hiking shirt, wool sweater, patagonia nano puff, and a stoic vaporshell
Legs: Capaline 2 long johns, lightweight convertible pants, ECWCS goretex pants
Feet: smartwool trekking socks, leather hiking boots
Hands: Marmot stretch wrist gaitors, Rag wool fingerless gloves,smartwool liners, OR fury gloves, OR endeavor mitts

Most of the time I dont need all of the items together, but this allows me alot of layering options. When actively hiking under dry and fair conditions I generally only wear the baseball cap, l/s hiking shirt, convertible pants, and the wrist gaitors. If its windy or colder I may hike in the wool sweater. I try to reserve the cap 3 for sleepwear. Laying the wool sweater, nanopuff, and vaporshell I am easily good to 15F or so.

Smooth & Wasabi
11-13-2011, 10:59
I hiked north for a couple months starting march 3, 02. We encountered 9 degrees the first night and several days of severe cold. My clothes were :

synth T
Cap 2
shorts
2 light wind pants(1 for camp 1 for hiking in rain/cold)
Rain jacket
Marmot dri-clime wind shirt(camp insulation)
warm hat
fleece gloves
rain mittens

It was what I had and with a 20 degree bag was enough, only had minor chilling one night.

If going out again at that time with my updated gear I would replace the extra wind pants and dri-clime with a light puffy and mid-weight merino bottoms. Much more warmth for the weight. I might replace the capilene 2 with my windshirt. I would probably add rain pants too as I got by without only because 02 was freakishly dry. Probably either drop the wind pants or replace them and the shorts with convertables as well.

What you are getting sounds good. I would reccomend a puffy for camp as well as rain gear and hat/gloves.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2011, 16:58
I am the biggest fan of getting good quality under armour look alikes without the branding.. smoother than merino and traps heat - passes moisture... drys quick and doenst hold the smell - If you are looking for the name brand - then shop closeouts or blowouts at this time of year.

Dick Dynamo
11-13-2011, 21:11
i have a Montbell #1 DownSS It's like no other:)
Thats some Layering MuddyWaters. You don't have all that on at once? I guess if it gets that cold you do.
With wool longjohns I would stay warmer but the wicking wouldn't be so great, as well as when wool it gets wet it doesn't loose any insluation properyies. Right? Just getting my ducks in a row. Now synthetic would have a better wicking properties, but they would not be as warm. Am i on the right track so far?????

Now ive invested in a down Sierra Designs Gnar Down Hooded (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sierra-designs-gnar-down-hooded-jacket-800-fill-power-for-men~p~4117h/?filterString=Sierra-Designs~b~1915%2F&colorFamily=01), But i dont want to go too far ahead of myself.

Dick Dynamo
11-13-2011, 21:19
O and as well as a pair of frogtogs. Figured they were well worth the price, and they would keep me warm. I am going to try to modify them and add a zipper under the arms to provide more venting properies.

Then why a Wool sweater AND a puffy? To interchange? Or to keep warm :) hehe duha...

Papa D
11-13-2011, 21:27
previous posters have given you the idea - don't replicate stuff -- also, you'll only need warm clothes for evenings and early mornings - I hike all year long and even in deep snow and 20 - 30 degree weather in the day (which you won't get in March - only at night), I hike in shorts and a tech shirt - maybe a stocking cap or running top. What you are packing is standing around in the evening clothes -- so be very selective - one fleece top, bottom, down jacket, stocking cap, and of course rain gear is the basic formula -- also, you mentioned "mountain khakis" -- not sure what marketing firm came up with that but those are front country poser things -- keep anything at all made of cotton at home.

Dick Dynamo
11-13-2011, 21:30
Thanks Pap D. That realy does help:) KISS, Yes and of course Cotton kills :p

MuddyWaters
11-13-2011, 22:15
i have a Montbell #1 DownSS It's like no other:)
Thats some Layering MuddyWaters. You don't have all that on at once? I guess if it gets that cold you do.
With wool longjohns I would stay warmer but the wicking wouldn't be so great, as well as when wool it gets wet it doesn't loose any insluation properyies. Right? Just getting my ducks in a row. Now synthetic would have a better wicking properties, but they would not be as warm. Am i on the right track so far?????

Now ive invested in a down Sierra Designs Gnar Down Hooded (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sierra-designs-gnar-down-hooded-jacket-800-fill-power-for-men%7Ep%7E4117h/?filterString=Sierra-Designs%7Eb%7E1915%2F&colorFamily=01), But i dont want to go too far ahead of myself.

When hiking I can wear short sleeves in 25F weather if there isnt much wind, esp if sun is out.. Insulation is for times you arent moving, and sleeping to extend range of sleeping gear.

When you arent generating heat, you need a lot of insulation to stay warm. Thats why your bag is so insulated. A lifetime of deer hunting has taught me that no matter what I wear, after sitting still for 2 hrs in only 40F weather, Im freaking cold.

coach lou
11-13-2011, 22:21
I use Patagonia Capilene when I Ref, Fish, and Hike, and lots of fatty food in cold temps. WOO, help me out here!