PDA

View Full Version : Can you use Food Saver bags the same as freezer bags?

Janeway
11-12-2011, 22:35
I've been doing some dehydrating and so pulled out my Food Saver and have stored some of it that way. I've been considering Freezer Bag cooking as an easy way to cook "one sentence recipes" - add boiling water, let sit a few minutes. Quick, efficient, no cleanup. Not too thrilled with eating out of the freezer bags, though. I noticed that you can boil in the bag Food Saver bags, so would I be right in thinking I can add boiling water, just like freezer bags? Has anybody done this?

ATladyinpa
11-13-2011, 02:11
My understanding is that the Food Saver bags can be used to heat up already cooked foods, like spaghetti and sauce, or left overs by placing the bag in boiling water, it would seem that you could reverse the process and put the boiling water in the bag to rehydrate foods, but it might be to you advantage to check out the instructions that came with the food saver machine, it should have that info in it, if not you could contact the manufacturer or try the web. As with any plastic I would be concerned about the chemicals that might be released into the foods by putting boiling water in it as opposed to exposing the outside only to boiling water. I'm not sure if they are BPA free materials.

Janeway
11-13-2011, 09:28
Thanks! When all else fails, read the directions! I'll check the manual, and most likely will email Tilia and ask. Hope that the inside is the same as the outside for exposure to boiling water.

Fiddleback
11-13-2011, 10:44
BPA is used as a stiffener (bottles, CD's, liners, etc.) I think. It's unlikely BPA is found in baggies...I think.;) In fact, following the past couple years of publicity, it may be unlikely that BPA is found in any material that comes in contact with food or drink...I dunno.

The issue of boiling water and chemical release from baggies comes up pretty frequently...seldom, if ever, with any satisfying results. There simply haven't been any/many studies on the subject. Some of the manufacturers have issued warnings about boiling water and their bags but it seemed it was a safety warning to prevent burns...the concern being that bags would melt, spill the water and injure the handler.

One thing FBC'ers can do to mitigate real or imagined chemical issues with baggies is to stop boiling water. There is no need to bring water to a rolling boil to reconstitute food. As an example, my own kitchen testing shows my typical max water temp resulting from a soda can stove and 3/4oz of alky to be about 185°...seldom if ever exceeding 195°. And that's at pour...the temp goes way down from there once the water is in the bag and working on the food. Anyhoo, my guess is that lower temps would lead to less chemical release..real or imagined.:D Near boil instead of rolling boil saves fuel, time and, maybe, unintentional chemical 'ingestion.'

I'm always looking for reports about chemical release from baggies. Please post any links to such 'real science' studies.:)

FB

HeartFire
11-13-2011, 19:11
I would use the freezer bags rather than the food saver - Freezer bags are 100% polyethelene. no bpa, and you can 'zip' them back up after you put the water in (prevent spills if it gets knocked over. Food saver bags once they are cut open, can't really be sealed back - unless you use little clips or something, but can still leak if knocked over.

Once you turn off the stove (from boiling the water) and pour it into the bag it is no longer 'boiling'. Both types of bags can handle water this hot being poured into them. I have done it both ways, and just find the freezer ziplocks work better. The food saver bags make 'bricks' when vacuum sealed, which makes packing your food bag more difficult, they also frequently loose their vacuum (not sure if it's because something poked a hole in it or what) Also, if I wasn't as hungry, with the ziplock bag you can always pour half of your food (dry) into another baggie and save it and reseal the first one.

sarbar
11-13-2011, 23:20
The bags work well if you have them on hand. They are actually a heavier Mil than freezer bags. They are rated for submersion in simmering water for extended periods I might add and for microwave use. Anyhow, NO plastic bags sold for Vac Bags or freezer bags contain BPA. BPA was used ONLY to harden plastic or as a liner (in cans).
All the companies list online what their bags are made and I can tell you that for example Ziploc has a very short list. 1 item. All the bags are food grade as well.

PS: You don't have to vac the bags either. You can just seal them and then you have no "brick" effect.