PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy your equipment from Sixmoondesigns!

Madmax
11-13-2011, 03:30
Do not buy your equipment from Sixmoondesigns! They publish namely your email address on the internet so you later receive tons of spam! What Sixmoondesigns do best is to use your credit card !

aaronthebugbuffet
11-13-2011, 06:14
I think they got hacked not too long ago. You think that had anything to do with it?

Nick&Bruce
11-13-2011, 06:20
I bought a pack from them recently and haven't had any problems.

NotYet
11-13-2011, 09:07
I think they have great products and excellent customer service.

AndyB
11-13-2011, 10:43
Their server was one of thousands worldwide that got hacked 2 months or so ago, very well could be the cause of your problems. There was several sites in my "backing sites " folder that were victims. The news around then was it was a harmless hack just to show it could be done, maybe it wasn't?

I'd get with SMD and see what happened with your email address.

Kerosene
11-13-2011, 11:37
MadMax, I assume that you've contacted SMD with your concern and they've had the opportunity to research your complaint? If not, then you're basically being inflammatory and irresponsible. Let us know what you learn.
Also, please provide more details about how you can be sure that it was SMD that "leaked" your e-mail address. There are a lot of ways for an e-mail address to get out there, and unless you use a unique one for each vendor it is extremely difficult to know who leaked the address. I have a dedicated, free "vendors" gmail address that I set up for all vendor correspondence to at least try to contain all of the vendor communications I get. They do a surprisingly good job of spam filtering also.

Madmax
11-13-2011, 12:03
I have spoken to Sixmoons and they can not help. My email address is exposed directly to their website and if Sixmoons unable or unwilling to remove it, they have a problem.

What is perhaps worse is that the security of their shop is not top notch, as the entered credit card information is not adequate encrypted even if the page says and seems like

ronmoak
11-13-2011, 12:26
I've got no idea why Madmax had decided to throw a tizzy fit, but here are the facts.

1) Six Moon Designs does not deliberately publish peoples email address. Nor do we sale them to third parties.

The fact is that Max logged on to our website and wrote a glowing review of the Gatewood Cape (thank you). Unfortunately he registered on the site using his email address as his user name. When the review got published, which it does automatically, the software picked up the username and attached it to the review when it is displayed.

I've since changed Max's login username and the email address no longer appears in the review. Since the review was only published yesterday, it's not likely any email address have been grabbed by spiders.

2) We were first notified of this issue in an email sent last night (Saturday) after 8pm. Certainly not within normal business hours. The only reason I caught it this morning (Sunday) is because I was checking on something else. Aside from one email, Max has no other correspondence with us on this issue. I did not tell him I was either unable or unwilling to help. Clearly I could because I fixed the problem in less than a minute. Max could have fixed himself by simply changing his username.

End of Story
Ron

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2011, 12:39
Thank's Ron, glad that clears this up....

Miner
11-13-2011, 12:54
Conidering how most of these threads turn out, my first thought to seeing such an inflammatory thread title is I wonder if the company has anything I should buy. Because it seems most of the time the company's customer service ends up looking good by the end and seems like someone you'd like to do business with. Not saying its always that way, but some people should be a little slower to post things.

Madmax
11-13-2011, 13:19
It is several months ago since I first humbly asked Sixmoons to remove my information from the web. For some reason nothing happened until my writing here. Hope the problem is solved now.

OAO

SweetAss03
11-13-2011, 13:24
Great company and great gear!End of story,Sweets

daddytwosticks
11-13-2011, 13:26
I've had nothing but good experiences w/SMD. Had three transactions with them in the past. Love my Meteor Bivy. Thanks for some great products, Ron. :)

XrayDuke
11-13-2011, 18:43
Nothing but great customer service from Ron and Six Moon Designs. They have wonderful products and I have really enjoyed my Skyscape Scout.

bulldog49
11-13-2011, 19:40
I've bought several products from Six Moons. Never the slightest problem, nothing but excellent service and products. Seems to me Madmax F'd up somehow and now wants someone else to blame.

Snowleopard
11-13-2011, 19:51
I use a separate email address when I think I might get spam or ads I don't want. Usually I forward this to my personal email address, but I can turn off that forwarding when I get too annoyed by the forwarded spam. Even the most technically knowledgeable companies can get hacked or just make a mistake.

Wil
11-13-2011, 20:16
It is several months ago since I first humbly asked Sixmoons to remove my information from the web. For some reason nothing happened until my writing here. Hope the problem is solved now. The other side of the story:" Since the review was only published yesterday, it's not likely any email address have been grabbed by spiders. We were first notified of this issue in an email sent last night (Saturday) after 8pm... I fixed the problem in less than a minute. Max could have fixed himself by simply changing his username."

Maybe two different stories. At worst this sounds like a communications problem. I code my vendor-use email addresses and my SixMoons address has never shown up from any other mailer.

stranger
11-21-2011, 17:28
I heard Six Moon Designs kicks homeless people on the streets...and they hate puppies and Christmas.

10-K
11-21-2011, 17:32
I heard Six Moon Designs kicks homeless people on the streets...and they hate puppies and Christmas.

I heard one of the UL tentmakers was seen taking money from the Salvation Army money pots.....

Tinker
11-23-2011, 17:49
Here's a thought - If you use your phone to call in an order it might cost you the time against your allotted minutes, but there is zero chance that anyone online can access your personal information.
I do that on a regular basis, and I take the name of the employee who processes my phone order.

max patch
11-23-2011, 18:11
Here's a thought - If you use your phone to call in an order it might cost you the time against your allotted minutes, but there is zero chance that anyone online can access your personal information.
I do that on a regular basis, and I take the name of the employee who processes my phone order.

That is so last century! :)

The OP created his problem by making his email account his screen name. That is also a last century problem!

Tinker
11-23-2011, 18:32
If it works, don't fix it. :)

Noboby's complaining about SEX, and that's been around for a llllllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnng time. ;)

Oh, I should've said,"Nobody's complaining about GOOD sex...................":p.

tridavis
11-23-2011, 18:48
If it works, don't fix it. :)

Noboby's complaining about SEX, and that's been around for a llllllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnng time. ;)

Oh, I should've said,"Nobody's complaining about GOOD sex...................":p.

There's BAD SEX???????

Roche
11-23-2011, 18:49
Now I remember why I stopped visiting this site.

Dear OP - please post your email so we can do all we can to make your life better.

Tinker
11-23-2011, 18:53
There's BAD SEX???????

I don't even need to check your profile to know that you're a male. :D

STICK
11-24-2011, 11:00
Great experiences and sweet gear from 6MD here as well. I am sure that I will deal with Ron again and won't hesitate to recommend them.

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 11:04
I thought we put this one to bed.....who is keeping this thread going?

brotheral
11-24-2011, 18:37
I think in all fairness to a fine company like Six Moon Designs this thread should be closed... Any seconds ?? :-?

Kookork
11-24-2011, 20:36
I think in all fairness to a fine company like Six Moon Designs this thread should be closed... Any seconds ?? :-?

I prefer not. Closing a thread when it has both sides' disscussions and answers is the first mini step to censorship.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2011, 01:10
I disagree - you are beating a dead horse - the start poster - has made a clear mistake and no one is going to point the blame - its called a non-sequitor.

I too made this mistake several years ago and realized that cottage - garage made business - that supports WB and other backpackers - really do deserve a break and do not require bad posts to keep something alive.

Good thing I am not a mod.
I would have closed this.

Kookork
11-25-2011, 01:19
Personally, If I had a shred of doubt about six moon design before(that I did not) after reading this post I definitely trust them more. It was an Honest Propaganda for Sixmoon design and showed how many satisfied customrs are here to support them. I dont see any damage here.

Wise Old Owl
11-25-2011, 01:36
OK We both agree - lets move on and not post further - it has the possibility of making things - out of control and just plain wrong for others.

I do not need the last word .

stranger
11-25-2011, 09:55
I don't personally see any reason why we can beat around Six Moon Designs, or any other company for that matter, if people choose to do so. If someone has a bad experience with a company and wants to warn others, that's their business. It's up to us to decide whether or not it's valid or relevant. From reading this thread I can't see how SMD is looking bad here, don't take yourselves too seriously people.

brotheral
11-25-2011, 12:29
The problem is that SMD has done nothing wrong here, but alot of folks won't read through the thread to discover this Truth. They'll see the thread topic, "Don't buy your equipment from SMD", maybe read the OP's irresponsible slander and acquire a false negative impression of this excellent company and it's owner, Ron Moak, who's a member here. I think you underestimate the damage this can do... People tend to remember the bad stuff.....

leaftye
11-25-2011, 19:45
Both sides have said their piece. Case closed. End of discussion. Close the thread. Don't delete ("censor") it.

Abela
02-27-2012, 05:28

Actually, this thread (and the other one with the same title) should be deleted from this website.

Ron made it very clear that the OP used their email address as their usersname (which == stupid) which Ron had no obligation to fix on his own.

Clearing showing that SMD has gone above and beyond to address this issue and the very nature of the title of this posting is potentially doing an unjustified dis-service to one of the finest cottage outdoor gear makers that exists.

The right thing to do (I feel) would be for WB to recognize this and help to actually protect outdoor gear companies.

rocketsocks
02-27-2012, 08:57
I thought we put this one to bed.....who is keeping this thread going?

14454That picture is the funniest damn thing.HAHAlol oh damn I fell!

Miner
02-27-2012, 13:46
And your post just brought this thread back to the top. You should have just left it dead and burried since someone people only see the negative thread title.

Nick&Bruce
02-28-2012, 00:42
Since this is at the top I might as well add that they've been nothing but great to me!

Rasty
02-28-2012, 00:55
The whole thing makes six moon designs look fantastic. Next tent I need I'm looking at SMD. Fixed the OP's stupidity after-hours in less than 12 hours. That's customer service. No that's hospitality!!