PDA

View Full Version : Winter section hike

bmwsmity
11-13-2011, 11:04
Hey everyone,I'm starting to put together a 4 day trip for this winter, probably early December. The next section I have to do starts at Standing Bear Farm just outside GSMNP... Haven't decided where to end yet..For this time of year, what should I expect weather-wise? I actually enjoy cold weather backpacking, and did my first big section from Springer to NOC over 11 days in the snow a couple years back in march..so I'm not foreign to the idea, just wanna know how much snow/cold/rain to expect...If there's a better section to do in Virginia, I'd be interested in that too...so suggestions are welcome..Thanks!

Wolf - 23000
11-13-2011, 19:02
If you hiking the GSMNP then I would figure on about 2-3 feet of snow. Most of the times I winter hike through that stretch it wasn't that bad but plan for the worst hope for the best. I used a 0 degree sleeping system and was fine.

Wolf

Papa D
11-13-2011, 19:43
I just did GSMP to NOC last week - brisk weather -- it's a little warmer now -- I'd be into going from Hot Springs North to NC 226 which is just below the Roans -- I need to fill in this section. P/M me if this is something you'd be into --this is 88 miles which is a perfect 4 days for me if the snow is less than 2-3" -- not sure if you want to boogie like that.

bmwsmity
11-13-2011, 19:47
Man I'd be down for that, but I'm bringing a couple buddies that wouldn't be into that sorta pace... I'm prolly gonna take it easy like 10mi a day...

The Solemates
11-14-2011, 10:06
what dates are you talking about? i'll be in the area for a long weekend (4-5 days) around the 1st of december and i think my shuttle buddies may be bowing out. I was actually going to be a little north of standing bear, but i could rearrange. 10 mpd, 20 mpd - doesnt matter to me.

bmwsmity
11-14-2011, 15:33
I'm looking at dec 16-19 I think... That's a Friday- Monday..

I think I'll start at Elk Park, NC and end at Hampton, TN... About 34 mi

The Solemates
11-14-2011, 15:40
I'm looking at dec 16-19 I think... That's a Friday- Monday..

I think I'll start at Elk Park, NC and end at Hampton, TN... About 34 mi

cant make those dates - would have enjoyed the company

10-K
11-14-2011, 15:44
I just did GSMP to NOC last week - brisk weather -- it's a little warmer now -- I'd be into going from Hot Springs North to NC 226 which is just below the Roans -- I need to fill in this section. P/M me if this is something you'd be into --this is 88 miles which is a perfect 4 days for me if the snow is less than 2-3" -- not sure if you want to boogie like that.

May I suggest starting at NC 226 and hiking to Hot Springs instead of the other way?

bmwsmity
11-15-2011, 08:39
cant make those dates - would have enjoyed the company

If anything changes I'll let you know... Still working details with two of my friends..

juma
11-15-2011, 20:48
I did that section in Dec 09. It got down to 15-17* most nights and the wind really blew day and nite. It was low 20's during the day. springs were full of leaves. the only snow was over the mountain tops. I took plenty of cold weather clothes and used a hot water bottle at nite. It was a pleasant winter hike!

bmwsmity
11-19-2011, 10:23
Thanks Juma for the info!

10-K
11-19-2011, 12:49
I took some hikers up to Carver's Gap Thursday and I bet it was in the low 20's / upper teens with the windchill factor in the middle of the day.

A fine covering of snow everywhere, roads were good though.

bmwsmity
11-19-2011, 16:33
After more reflection, I'm probably going to go from Sams Gap to Hot Springs. Better shelters, the shelters have privies, and there's a couple fire towers to check out... Little higher elevation, but shouldn't be too bad...

10-K
11-19-2011, 20:03
After more reflection, I'm probably going to go from Sams Gap to Hot Springs. Better shelters, the shelters have privies, and there's a couple fire towers to check out... Little higher elevation, but shouldn't be too bad...

Good choice.

MedicineWoman2012
11-19-2011, 20:38
We got a 16F temp tenting just north of lil hump ! 20F mid morning above freezin by 2p at Apple..it was beautiful seeing the rhime ice (sp?). 10-k hate we missed ya..we were really skeptical about leaving for a night hike at 530p but prepared to stay at stan murray if necessary...the winds were the kicker and relos were really easy to spot even with ice falling. It was a beautiful sunrise on Sat morning from Hump! I must say thats better than sunrise or sunset on Hatteras Island each summer :p

bmwsmity
11-19-2011, 23:28
Thanks Angels!

ParkRat09
11-20-2011, 20:57
Hey everyone,I'm starting to put together a 4 day trip for this winter, probably early December. The next section I have to do starts at Standing Bear Farm just outside GSMNP... Haven't decided where to end yet..For this time of year, what should I expect weather-wise? I actually enjoy cold weather backpacking, and did my first big section from Springer to NOC over 11 days in the snow a couple years back in march..so I'm not foreign to the idea, just wanna know how much snow/cold/rain to expect...If there's a better section to do in Virginia, I'd be interested in that too...so suggestions are welcome..Thanks!
I have lived 45 minutes from GSMNP and hiked it for about 7 years now...I also just got back from a trip to the AT in the Smokies 2 days ago. The forecast called for temps in the 20s at night and clear skies. What ended up happening?...it was prob in the single digits at night with 6 inches of snow and ice falling my first day there (Nov 17). So, it would seem that 2-4 feet should be expected by December. I don't know about sections in VA but I can't get enough of GSMNP and the AT section through it is awesome. If you decide to do the Smokies section and have any questions just let me know.

bmwsmity
11-20-2011, 23:18
Thanks park for the info! Did GSMNP last year over 4 days, and took my 7 year old son on it again this summer for a few days. I agree, it's a great section of the AT... probably my favorite so far since Springer...