PDA

View Full Version : Alpaca Clothing

drgreenthumb
11-13-2011, 19:06
What are people's thoughts on Alpaca clothing? I mean socks, bottom layer(s), etc? Do people use it? Do they dry well? or do they get damp and stay damp?

swjohnsey
11-13-2011, 19:28
Alpaca is basically wool, very expensive wool.

Elder
11-13-2011, 20:01
Alpaca is like high grade Merino. www.Dahlgrenfootwear.com (http://www.Dahlgrenfootwear.com) for state of the art technology combines with a Alpaca/Merino blend.
Terrific socks, comfy and lifetime quaranteed.
And Yes, I may get to work for them real soon!

Hooch
11-13-2011, 20:03
Ask Skids. . . .

wythekari
11-13-2011, 23:55
I raised them on a ranch in SOCAL for 5 yrs. My experience w/store bought alpaca socks, hats, gloves is that they are warm but not industrial strength that I like for hiking/camping - more for day use or in town use. However, my wife spins and knits w/alpaca and when she plies it into multi-ply yarn and knits with it (in other words gets the yarn thicker) then it is warm and wears well. She knit me alpaca fingerless gloves that are the bomb.

Comet Omega
11-15-2011, 19:25
I used the Dahlgren Alpaca socks on the Long Trail this summer. Very wet trail, but the socks held up wonderfully. About 300 miles on them now and are very comfortable. I used the light hikers. Also, use the heavy weight ones for my sleeping socks....pure heaven!

drgreenthumb
11-17-2011, 23:25
I was looking at the Dahlgren Alpaca socks online. Thank you for the honest review of them! I plan on purchasing a few pairs shortly!

msupple
12-10-2011, 15:40
Baby alpaca is supposed to be the finest...but like the guides like to say in Peru...."maybe alpaca". That of course is referring to the baby alpaca that is constantly being hawked to the turistos. I bought a bunch of alpaca knit caps and some sweaters when I was there and love them. Can't really speak to the durability as it was a recent trip.