PDA

View Full Version : Sky Meadows camping

HIKERJEN
11-14-2011, 00:32
I'm considering trying out the primitive campsite at Sky Meadows. Anyone ever camped there ? Are the campsites within sight of each other, like a normal campground, or are they spaced farther apart ? I can't find any info/photos of what the sites are like. Thanks !

SassyWindsor
11-14-2011, 00:45
Not too sure but I may have car camped (passing through on way to DC) a night here, I remember the sites weren't too far apart.

dovecote
11-20-2011, 13:01
I'm considering trying out the primitive campsite at Sky Meadows. Anyone ever camped there ? Are the campsites within sight of each other, like a normal campground, or are they spaced farther apart ? I can't find any info/photos of what the sites are like. Thanks !

It has been about six years since my last visit there but the majority of the campsites (15 or so) are spaced enough apart that you will have some sort of privacy. I believe the higher numbered campsites provided a little more privacy than the lower numbered sites.

There are ample trails within the park to explore for the day. I think any more than a day within the park boundaries would be overkill. On one occasion I parked my vehicle (for a fee) overnight in the park and backpacked north to Rod Hollow Shelter for the evening, returning the following day.

BlackCloud
11-21-2011, 12:00
Just don't go to the nearby Dick's Dome shelter, whatever you do!

johnnybgood
11-21-2011, 18:31
No primitive walk-in campsites from what I saw quite a few years back. Dovecote's description is pretty spot on from my recognition .

Hikerhead
11-21-2011, 18:39
From the AT you'll have to get on another trail to the campsites and then you'll need to check in at the Ranger Station. The AT runs along the western edge of this small State Park. It's been a while since I've been there and I do believe they're relocated the trail since that visit. But from maps I've seen, this is the case.