PDA

View Full Version : fuel cannisters

Gacy
03-03-2005, 18:06
I bought a jet boil a while back and have loved its performance on all of the trips I have taken it on. The question I have is how is the availability of fuel in resupply points on the trail. I am not going to do mail drops for food but i have been considdering it for the cannisters of fuel but i also heard that you cant ship it through the postal service so i am hoping someone will bring good news that there is good availability at stops.

-Gacy

tlbj6142
03-03-2005, 18:11
Do a quick search on the topic. I believe someone has recently (past 2-3 months) provided a list of towns with canisters.

BTW, you can ship canister in the mail. Though some postmasters deny it.

chris
03-03-2005, 18:39
I've got some time on my hands, so...You can get canisters at:

Walasi-Yi
NOC
Hot Springs
Erwin (Uncle Johnny's had them in 2002, not sure about now)
Damascus
Waynesboro
Harpers Ferry
Delaware Water Gap
Kent
Manchester Center

I think you can get them in Port Clinton and am sure you can find them inbetween some of the gaps. Probably you can find them in Williamstown, Bennington, and Hanover.

I'd take the Jet Boil and not worry too much about shipping canisters to yourself.

tphennig
03-07-2005, 22:46
I bought a jet-boil last year and love it. Only taken it for one section hike through the smokies and although replacement cannisters are available, the outfitter in Gatlinburg didn't have one as small and therefore wouldn't fit as a convenient little package anymore. I was surprised at how long that little cannister lasts though.

chris
03-08-2005, 11:06
The small ones last about half as long as the big ones. I found the large Snowpeak canisters are good for about 10 days: Make tea in the AM, then boil plus 8 minute simmer in the evening. On a more traditional thruhiking diet, I would plan for a new canister every 2 weeks.