PDA

View Full Version : 5 Rules for Solo Backpacking

10-K
11-14-2011, 11:45
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/five-simple-rules-for-going-solo-132370108.html.

Not bad...

BobTheBuilder
11-14-2011, 11:50
I agree. Reasonable and accurate, but not preachy. I do all these things.

solobip
11-14-2011, 12:07
"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." ---Henry David Thoreau Nice read, thanks 10-K

WingedMonkey
11-14-2011, 12:38
Great explanation of solo in the woods. I try to always follow tip #3, I'm getting better at tips # 4 and 5. As foolish as it is I seldom follow tips #1 and 2.
Not saying it's correct or smart, just a realization of how I trek. I still get pissed if my own father goes hunting and doesn't leave a plan or check in. Guess we don't always practice what we preach.

;)

G.G.
11-14-2011, 13:05
Makes for a happy wife.

hikerboy57
11-14-2011, 13:16
Even though I always leave my itinerary with someone with an expected due back/ check in date, Im always aware that if I get hurt my first day or two out, noone will be looking for me for a while, especially if Im going out for 2 or 3 weeks. thats why i follow the other 3 rules. #1 is the only one i ignore, although Ill do my homework on where Ill be hiking before I leave for a new area.

Spokes
11-14-2011, 13:41
Good find 10-K. Thanks for sharing.

Miner
11-14-2011, 14:03
I'd probably only go hiking about 10% of the time if I went with others which is the reason I'm solo most of the time. I like rules 3&5, but some of these rules aren't realistic unless you really want to limit yourself where you are traveling. This means that I'd never visit many places at all in my lifetime. Not acceptable.

Lets look at these so called rules:
1. Choose a familiar, well-travelled route. Yeah right. Its often because I want to go to a new and issolated places away from people that I'm traveling solo (its too far to walk, its too many days off from work, sounds tuff so I'll pass on this trip, I have to change the oil in my car so I'll have to cancel at the last minute, etc.). Some of the best backcountry rewards are far away from cilvilzation and thus few people go there.

2. Tell someone where you're going.
Well, this might be good except if you are going out for a week or more and don't expect to be able to contact anyone during that time due to the remotenesss. So you are probably screwed anyway if something happens, but maybe if it happens towards the end, you might be rescued. For short trips this is reasonable, but not on the long trails. As an example, when I thru-hiked the PCT, I once went a week without seeing another soul and I couldn't check in with anyone for 2weeks through there.

3. Carry a map and compass. I fully agree with this one. I've seen people go the wrong way at a trail junction when the sign clearly showed the correct way. And unlike the AT, not every trail is well labeled and people do get off the main path a times. I've gotten off the main trail by mistakingly following a use trail that eventually disappeared but I had convinced myself it was the correct trail so was confused until I forced myself to go over my maps and fit my location to it rather then force fitting my map to my preconceived ideas. A GPS can be a supplement for a good map and compass but it isn't a true replacement. A GPS battery can die, the unit can be broken, etc.

4. Don't be too proud for electronics.
It should have said, electronics that you know how to use properly since a fool with a GPS is more likely to get lost in the first place. But as a matter of pride, I give this rule the finger. In my day (late 80's early 90's when I first started to travel solo in college), there were no fanzy electronic gizmos to weigh down my pack and we liked it that way. Well, ok, today I do carry some electronics like a cell phone but thats because I use it to type up my blog or play music. I rarely expect it to actually be useable as a phone in the places I often travel. I don't usually carry a GPS since I always have good maps and a compass with me. When SPOT first came out, it was a half pound brick that I couldn't believe anyone would want to carry when my shelter weighed less. And it wasn't even guarenteed to always work unlike a Personel Locator Beacon. I think more people carry them for the comfort of those at home rather then a sense of their own personal safety.

5. Pack light, but not too light.
Next to the map and compass rule, this is probably the best rule. I found I had less minor injuries (mild sprains, scrapes from falling/triping, foot and knee pains) the less weight I carried. And even as someone who often goes ultralight, that doesn['t mean you skimp on what you carry. If you aren't self suffient for any conditions you could likely face, you are not carrying adequate gear. But experience and skill go hand in hand with this. A person could die carrying 40lbs of gear but not know how to use it well, while somene with 10lbs of gear is comfortable since he knows how to get the most out of it.
I N

BrianLe
11-14-2011, 14:33
Sensible enough stuff. I too balked at first at #1 until I read the last sentence: "Once you're comfortable on your own, you can tackle more difficult routes."
I.e., it sounds like #1 at least is for someone new to solo hiking, and not for solo hiking in general.
I hiked more than half of the CDT alone this year, all routes (and too often difficult routes) that I had never been on or even heard of before. I didn't feel particularly unsafe, and in fact most of the times when I felt least safe this year I was hiking with someone else (southern CO being the noteable exception).

In terms of #2, I had never used SPOT before, but I did so on this trip and my wife quite liked that. Punching in twice a day not only could narrow down the search parameters if I didn't check in at a trail town in a reasonable time frame, it also left a really neat electronic log that shows up on my trail journal site. For most trips, however, it's just about tuning expectations IMO.

hikergurl
11-14-2011, 14:43
The article was meant for newbies, not well-experienced, confident, wise backpackers such as yourself.

Lets look at these so called rules:
1. Choose a familiar, well-travelled route. Yeah right. Its often because I want to go to a new and issolated places away from people that I'm traveling solo (its too far to walk, its too many days off from work, sounds tuff so I'll pass on this trip, I have to change the oil in my car so I'll have to cancel at the last minute, etc.). Some of the best backcountry rewards are far away from cilvilzation and thus few people go there. yes, but the article advises to work up to this.

2. Tell someone where you're going.
Well, this might be good except if you are going out for a week or more and don't expect to be able to contact anyone during that time due to the remotenesss. So you are probably screwed anyway if something happens, but maybe if it happens towards the end, you might be rescued. For short trips this is reasonable, but not on the long trails. As an example, when I thru-hiked the PCT, I once went a week without seeing another soul and I couldn't check in with anyone for 2weeks through there. I still think it's better for someone to attempt a search/rescue, even if it is delayed, rather than not start one at all but because someone assumed otherwise.

3. Carry a map and compass. I fully agree with this one. I've seen people go the wrong way at a trail junction when the sign clearly showed the correct way. And unlike the AT, not every trail is well labeled and people do get off the main path a times. I've gotten off the main trail by mistakingly following a use trail that eventually disappeared but I had convinced myself it was the correct trail so was confused until I forced myself to go over my maps and fit my location to it rather then force fitting my map to my preconceived ideas. A GPS can be a supplement for a good map and compass but it isn't a true replacement. A GPS battery can die, the unit can be broken, etc. +1 on this, but spend the extra money to get a real compass, not the Dollar General version.

4. Don't be too proud for electronics.
It should have said, electronics that you know how to use properly since a fool with a GPS is more likely to get lost in the first place. But as a matter of pride, I give this rule the finger. In my day (late 80's early 90's when I first started to travel solo in college), there were no fanzy electronic gizmos to weigh down my pack and we liked it that way. Well, ok, today I do carry some electronics like a cell phone but thats because I use it to type up my blog or play music. I rarely expect it to actually be useable as a phone in the places I often travel. I don't usually carry a GPS since I always have good maps and a compass with me. When SPOT first came out, it was a half pound brick that I couldn't believe anyone would want to carry when my shelter weighed less. And it wasn't even guarenteed to always work unlike a Personel Locator Beacon. I think more people carry them for the comfort of those at home rather then a sense of their own personal safety. Yup, there's always an on-going debate with my loved ones whether or not I will carry a Spot. Usually, the costs of one is enough to settle the debate for awhile, since I absolutely refuse to shell out the money myself for their own peace of mind.

5. Pack light, but not too light.
Next to the map and compass rule, this is probably the best rule. I found I had less minor injuries (mild sprains, scrapes from falling/triping, foot and knee pains) the less weight I carried. And even as someone who often goes ultralight, that doesn['t mean you skimp on what you carry. If you aren't self suffient for any conditions you could likely face, you are not carrying adequate gear. But experience and skill go hand in hand with this. A person could die carrying 40lbs of gear but not know how to use it well, while somene with 10lbs of gear is comfortable since he knows how to get the most out of it. +1 on this as well.
I N[/QUOTE]

10-K
11-14-2011, 15:22
I thought it was practical and reasonable info compared to a lot of other stuff that's out there.

It's all very sensible and the way I comprehended the piece it was meant for someone new to solo backpacking.

I had a supervisor when I was in my early 20's who always said, "You've got to learn how to do something by the book before you can start taking shortcuts."

That's what this article reminded me of.

hikerboy57
11-14-2011, 15:24
I thought it was practical and reasonable info compared to a lot of other stuff that's out there.

It's all very sensible and the way I comprehended the piece it was meant for someone new to solo backpacking.

I had a supervisor when I was in my early 20's who always said, "You've got to learn how to do something by the book before you can start taking shortcuts."

That's what this article reminded me of.now thats a great quote.good article too 10k

garlic08
11-14-2011, 16:13
A helpful variation on #2 is this: Tell two people where you area going--one person you love, and one person you trust!

garlic08
11-14-2011, 16:16
Thanks for the article, 10K. I'm constantly finding myself explaining why I'm comfortable going solo, and it seems boils down to the quest for self-confidence and self-sufficiency, with a good measure of flexibility thrown it (I can hike my hike (damn it), not someone else's).

hikerboy57
11-14-2011, 16:17
A helpful variation on #2 is this: Tell two people where you area going--one person you love, and one person you trust! I did an overnioght in harriman in march. as Im single, i gave my mother phone #s to call in case she didnt hear from me by x-date. I forgot all about calling her, she in turn forgot all about my instructions cause she knows I do this all the time. I spoke to her two days after my deadline, thanked her for her concern, and we both had a good laugh(thank goodness). So yeah, tell someone you love and someone you trust.

sbhikes
11-14-2011, 18:13
I remember back in the 90s I decided to do a solo hike in Lassen National Park. I had to write to the Ranger Station to get a permit. I was so sure they wouldn't let me go that I sent my application in with a letter telling them that all the reasons they shouldn't prohibit a solo female from hiking in the wilderness. I got my permit back with a hand-written note: Have a great time!

Thanks for that article. It's the most reasonable one on solo hiking I think I've ever seen. Leave it to the Canadians not to get hysterical about it.

glaux
11-15-2011, 08:53
Since a Spot is really for peace of mind of folks at home, I have encouraged my people to get me one for the holidays (and even to go in together to get it), that I'll be totally content if it's the only gift I get.

I don't want it for me, and don't want to pay for it, but I do want them to have the comfort of it.

10-K
11-15-2011, 09:44
Since a Spot is really for peace of mind of folks at home, I have encouraged my people to get me one for the holidays (and even to go in together to get it), that I'll be totally content if it's the only gift I get.

I don't want it for me, and don't want to pay for it, but I do want them to have the comfort of it.

Getting a SPOT was a good decision - my wife really appreciates it.

Just be sure to tell your loved ones that you might be in a place where you can't get a signal out and that it's even subject to total failure. Presumably you'd have a phone you could send a text from were that the case.

But so far, with about 100 nights on mine, I've had a 100% success rate getting a signal out....

Edited to add: I don't take the SPOT with me if I'm hiking on the AT. Generally, I take it when I'm on a less traveled trail (I took it on my BMT hike) that is not close to home.

Tom Murphy
11-15-2011, 09:59
1. Choose a familiar, well-travelled route.

I kind of follow this one. My autumn solo hikes are recon for my winter solo hikes. That way the route is familar to me. It may not be well traveled by others....

WalksInDark
11-17-2011, 23:08
I hike solo more than 75% of the time...so I would add one more thing: always carry a storm safety whistle (130 db sound output) on the outside of your pack where you can easily reach it...even if you are stuck on your back or your face...or if you have broken your arm(s) or fingers. The first time you get injured on the trail...and try to call out for help...you will quickly realize that: a) yelling takes a ton of energy; b) you get hoarse in a big hurry; c) your voice does not carry very well or far; d) (probably the most important fact of all) if you injure you mouth, tongue, and/or ribs, you may not be able to yell (some of the time, you will even have trouble whispering), but you typically will still be able to blow a whistle.

kayak karl
11-17-2011, 23:47
#1 is stupid. why do i want to hike where i hiked before or others for that matter. 2-5 are OK considering somebody gives a crap where you are LOL

slims
11-18-2011, 13:44
Granted most hikers like exploring new terrain but you've never hiked a trail more than once? I find that kinda strange.

ChinMusic
11-18-2011, 13:55
always carry a storm safety whistle

I think the whistle is an excellent reminder. I have not carried one in the past but that has been an oversight on my part. Thanks for reminding me.

hikerboy57
11-18-2011, 13:59
I think the whistle is an excellent reminder. I have not carried one in the past but that has been an oversight on my part. Thanks for reminding me.you know, ive never listed it on my gear list, and I always have one with me, even on dayhikes.To me this is probably the single most important piece of gear to have with you.

Amanita
11-18-2011, 14:35
I have a pack with one of those buckle/whistles on the sternum strap. Cannot be lost or forgotten.

Kookork
11-18-2011, 15:38
you know, ive never listed it on my gear list, and I always have one with me, even on dayhikes.To me this is probably the single most important piece of gear to have with you.

+1 . Whistle is The lightest and a must equipment in almost any emergency situation.

Kerosene
11-18-2011, 18:43
I'm not nearly as convinced of the value of a whistle, at least beyond 100 yards in a windy forest. Sgt. Rock advocates the rock-on-metal approach, which seems much more effective at rising above natural noises. Of course, your cookpot won't be as accessible as a whistle.

hikerboy57
11-18-2011, 18:52
I'm not nearly as convinced of the value of a whistle, at least beyond 100 yards in a windy forest. Sgt. Rock advocates the rock-on-metal approach, which seems much more effective at rising above natural noises. Of course, your cookpot won't be as accessible as a whistle.theres definitely a few drawbacks in the mtns, as sound can be somewhat deceptive as to where its coming from, but a whistle is better than no whistle, and they're practically weightless.

Jim Adams
11-18-2011, 19:08
All of these make good sense especially if you live near Winnepeg...true wilderness out there....but this is primarily an AT site so all that you really have to know for the AT is that if you get injured or lost, just wait until dark and then walk or crawl to the porch light!

geek

Papa D
11-18-2011, 21:35
This is reasonable for most but I like exploring the not so well traveled areas, I give my wife some idea of where I am, but I don't want to be too pinned down on details -- the map and compass thing is obvious (except on the AT where you don't need either). I skip the cell phone and the spot thing -- sorry - it detracts from my backpacking -- I'm out to disconnect not to stay connected -- the pack light but not too light thing is awfully general but more or less on point too.

JAK
11-19-2011, 02:00
I use all 5, except the only thing I use #4 is a cellphone to send daily updates on location and intentions to my voicemail at home. I don't use gps, a weather radio, a SPOT device, or even a headlamp half the time, but I would bring that stuff if I was going someplace that I thought it would be needed in a pinch. So I think that satisfies #4. What you bring depends on your skills, and where you are going, and whether you've been there before, that season of the year. Whether or not to go solo depends on that also. I go solo to new places, but when trying new gear or new methods I like to stick to familiar trails, and when going to new places I take extra precautions. I generally prefer the former, for the time being anyway. Once I really nail down my gear and methods, I will probably focus more on going new places.