PDA

View Full Version : Oh what to wear?

timmy_toes
11-14-2011, 17:29
Hey was wondering what most people would bring if they were starting in early April for clothing worn and clothing for backup/sleep wear? Middle weight vs light weight underwear? Just not sure!

sbhikes
11-14-2011, 17:55
My tried-and-true hiking clothing is:
Hiking:
Tank top or synthetic T-shirt (someday I'll get wool)
Long-sleeved button-down, collared nylon shirt
Hiking pants (zip-off optional)

Sleeping:
Either sleep in my clothes or I might bring some silk long underwear. Depends if it's still pretty cold.

Insulation:
Down sweater (thin down jacket)
Super light wind jacket or rain jacket (depends on the weather)
Rain chaps
Gloves
Warm hat and sun hat

swjohnsey
11-14-2011, 18:32
Outer wind/waterproof layer, Driducks tops and bottoms; 100 wt fleece 1/4 zip top and pants; fleece watch cap and gloves; long sleeve polyester T-shirt and running shorts. I sleep in the fleece when it is really cold. Also have a boonie hat for use for the first month or so until the trees leaf out.

garlic08
11-14-2011, 18:51
Piper's list is good for the PCT and that's almost exactly what I carried on the AT starting early April. It worked OK, but I had to keep moving in the snowstorms in the Smokies and Mt Rogers, and the cold wet rain later in VA. If you're not hiking, you're in the sleeping bag. I normally carry only one spare pair of socks, but I was glad to have two in that area. You have to be able to keep your insulation dry at all costs, and that means never, ever hiking in your down layer.

timmy_toes
11-15-2011, 17:48
Thanks so much! For some reason just cannot decide what to get. I will definitely look into everything everyone said. Yes Im not worried getting down wet, there is so much good gear now that if it happens its your own fault!

Summit
11-19-2011, 01:50
Convertible pants (REI Sahara)
Compression Underwear for hiking / boxer shorts for camp - sleeping
Polypro long sleeve shirt for base layer
Down sweater for next layer
eVent Jacket for outer layer
Fingerless wool gloves / Minimalist over-gloves
Fleece or wool head sock