PDA

View Full Version : new experiment

hikergurl
11-14-2011, 20:18
I love experimenting with everyday items and discovering a new use for common things. A thread started a while back about the various methods used in keeping dry and/or getting dry while out on the trail. I brought up an article from Backpacker (yeah, yeah, I know. I'm rolling my eyes, too) where they outline a method of using hot rocks to aid in drying boots. While the theory sounds ok (I guess), personally, the thought of 'wasting' fuel to heat up rocks just to dry boots didn't appeal to me. Until I (re)discovered Sutter Home's individual servings of wine. The bottles are in plastic, rather than glass, and are small enough to fit in boots, especially the toe box. And they don't take up that much space in the backpack. Pour hot water (let it cool from boiling a bit as I discovered the messy and painful way), into the bottles, seal well (test for leakage, duh), then place in boots. In the morning, since the water has already been treated, I just pour the water into my bladder or nalgene to use for the day. I haven't used these in my trail boots, but so far, they have worked fine in my work boots. The bottles come in a four-pack. So, the thought is to designate two for boots, one for fuel, and one for a common staple that I would usually use, like olive oil. Has anyone used a similar idea for drying boots on the trail? Time will tell how my theory (however foolish it may be) will work in the long-term.

Tinker
11-14-2011, 20:24
Somewhere on this forum you'll find several methods to drying out wet boots. Small Nalgene bottles can be filled with hot water and put in boots, and I picked up a pair of aluminum cold coffee cans from Starbucks which should be able to be filled with boiling water and stuck into boots (or socks to be used as a hot water bottle while sleeping). The Starbucks aluminum bottles are pretty thin, though, so I'll probably give them to a friend who's playing with alcohol stove designs (I long ago settled on the Supercat as my chosen alternative).

Here's an adaptation of an old quote which fits this thread nicely:
"Great minds think......................"

Papa D
11-14-2011, 20:38
I use water bottles like this in my bag when its extremely cold - I find that in wet weather - even cold wet weather, one should be wearing trail shoes - not boots - saving boots for actual snow -- I take the inserts out of my shoes and place them between my sleeping bag and pad and dry shoes out as good as possible with a pack towel and then either keep them in my tent (after I clean them) or next to me in a shelter. I ring out my socks really good and place them in the foot-box of my sleeping bag. If there is a campfire, of course I'll make use of it, but wouldn't waste time building a fire just for that purpose. Now, if it's wet and in the 40s -- worst scenario, it might just suck for a while until the weather dries out but. I think your idea is "nifty" but is also sort of a time consuming waste of fuel and frankly, boots are going to just get wet again after 20 or 30 minutes of hiking the next morning.

hikergurl
11-14-2011, 20:40
I thought about the nalgenes, but was trying to figure something small enough to fit in the toe boxes of my boots (which is where all the funk is anyway). I have small feet so this was a bit of a challenge. Thanks for the heads up on the other threads, I need other inspiration.

10-K
11-14-2011, 20:49
I agree, give it up and wear them wet unless you just happen to have a fire.

Be careful though because high intensity heat can screw up a pair of boot/trail runners.

I've been known to stomp through a puddle first thing in the morning just to get it over with. Trying to keep my feet dry by hopping around to dry spots is a losers game. :)

hikergurl
11-14-2011, 20:54
I take the inserts out of my shoes and place them between my sleeping bag and pad and dry shoes out as good as possible with a pack towel and then either keep them in my tent (after I clean them) or next to me in a shelter. I ring out my socks really good and place them in the foot-box of my sleeping bag. If there is a campfire, of course I'll make use of it, but wouldn't waste time building a fire just for that purpose. Now, if it's wet and in the 40s -- worst scenario, it might just suck for a while until the weather dries out but. I think your idea is "nifty" but is also sort of a time consuming waste of fuel and frankly, boots are going to just get wet again after 20 or 30 minutes of hiking the next morning.

That's my current method, but I'm always looking for a different way to do things. If this theory completely fails in the long (or short) run, that's cool. At the end of the day, even with dry boots for only 20 minutes, I still get a relaxing evening with a glass of vino.

Tinker
11-14-2011, 20:55
I use water bottles like this in my bag when its extremely cold - I find that in wet weather - even cold wet weather, one should be wearing trail shoes - not boots - saving boots for actual snow -- I take the inserts out of my shoes and place them between my sleeping bag and pad and dry shoes out as good as possible with a pack towel and then either keep them in my tent (after I clean them) or next to me in a shelter. I ring out my socks really good and place them in the foot-box of my sleeping bag. If there is a campfire, of course I'll make use of it, but wouldn't waste time building a fire just for that purpose. Now, if it's wet and in the 40s -- worst scenario, it might just suck for a while until the weather dries out but. I think your idea is "nifty" but is also sort of a time consuming waste of fuel and frankly, boots are going to just get wet again after 20 or 30 minutes of hiking the next morning.

You are right, of course, about the boots getting wet quickly the next day. I think that the only time I think that the hot water bottle in-a-boot situation is called for is when your shoes would otherwise freeze solid (putting them inside a stuffsack and sleeping with them will keep this from happening, though). In below freezing weather it's often necessary to boil water since many water filters don't work, and it takes forever to purify cold water with chemicals, and, if water is already boiled and hot, it should be put to work before it is consumed.

Another way to dry wet boots (when it's not very cold out - though this method takes a long time) is to put on dry socks upon reaching camp, put bread bags or stuffsacks over the socks, and put your shoes back on. Verrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy slow, but the boots (shoes) may be a little bit drier in the morning (and your dry socks will still be relatively dry if your feet don't sweat too much).

Tinker
11-14-2011, 20:58
10K: "I've been known to stomp through a puddle first thing in the morning just to get it over with."

Stranger people have happened ;).

Hikerhead
11-14-2011, 21:02
I love experimenting with everyday items and discovering a new use for common things. A thread started a while back about the various methods used in keeping dry and/or getting dry while out on the trail. I brought up an article from Backpacker (yeah, yeah, I know. I'm rolling my eyes, too) where they outline a method of using hot rocks to aid in drying boots. While the theory sounds ok (I guess), personally, the thought of 'wasting' fuel to heat up rocks just to dry boots didn't appeal to me. Until I (re)discovered Sutter Home's individual servings of wine. The bottles are in plastic, rather than glass, and are small enough to fit in boots, especially the toe box. And they don't take up that much space in the backpack. Pour hot water (let it cool from boiling a bit as I discovered the messy and painful way), into the bottles, seal well (test for leakage, duh), then place in boots. In the morning, since the water has already been treated, I just pour the water into my bladder or nalgene to use for the day. I haven't used these in my trail boots, but so far, they have worked fine in my work boots. The bottles come in a four-pack. So, the thought is to designate two for boots, one for fuel, and one for a common staple that I would usually use, like olive oil. Has anyone used a similar idea for drying boots on the trail? Time will tell how my theory (however foolish it may be) will work in the long-term.

Good ideal but you might do this just once or twice before you get tired of it. Get to camp and get your shows off as soon as possible and be sure to pull the foot bed out to dry. In the morning put on dry socks and you should be good to go.

Bati
11-14-2011, 21:19
Do be careful when trying to dry boots- I melted the ankle part of mine on a wonderful space heater in Neel's Gap once. It worth it, but still, I had to live with the broken nylon ankle section for quite a while. Having the fuel to dry boots on the trail is a luxury that I can't have- it's way to much weight in fuel.

If it's just wet and not cold, I found it more useful to give my feet some time to dry out. I've only had problems with this once, where it poured so much for so long, that my feet were becoming permanent prunes and I thought disease might set in. Luckily extra care with a pack towel before climbing into my bag held it off. I then dried them for several hours when I found a bonus pavilion while waiting for the water to recede over a low-water bridge. Since I wasn't able to hike much that day (except in circles) it really gave them a chance to recover. Generally, rain doesn't have this effect on me; it took several days of major rain to affect my feet that much.

When it is cold, just remember to keep the tongues out on your boots at night. Or, as one forgetful hiker did repeatedly on the AT, bring a pair of pliers and spend 10 painful minutes or so fighting with them in the morning, to the amusement of everyone else in the shelter.

The plastic bags work very well in cold weather, but I used them during the day, and then changed into "dryish" socks and sandals with more bags when I needed to walk around at night or when breaking camp. That way your socks didn't get soaked and you didn't have to face the whole ordeal of "putting on your boots" at 2 am or dealing with freezing toes while eating breakfast.

Spokes
11-15-2011, 00:55
Drying boots on the trail is a futile exercise. You will soon learn to love your soaking, sopping wet boots.

daddytwosticks
11-15-2011, 08:16
Don't use conventional "boots". Try trail runners if pack weight is low enough and you have no ankle/foot issues. Trail runners dry quicker. :)

TrilliumTrekker
11-15-2011, 10:07
If not too cold I take off the socks and wear the boots with bare feet around the shelter. If it is too cold for that, I just live with the damp boots.

sbhikes
11-15-2011, 12:15
That's a pretty clever way of dealing with wet shoes. I'm going on a hike later this month that might have a section of cold wet stream crossings and at least one night of wet shoes. I might try the rocks if we have a fire or the hot water if we don't. No need to drink the hot water later for me as we'll have plenty of creek water on the trip. I hate putting on cold wet shoes in the morning.

bamboo bob
11-15-2011, 12:59
I did about half the AT in sandals. Bite sandals, I don't think they are made anymore. Sandals are great. They get wet and then dry very fast. Even your socks dry out in the air But oh they are so cold in cold weather.