PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight raingear options

chris
03-03-2005, 18:34
Every summer I like to try something new, and I think this time around it will be rain gear. So, I'd like to put up some options that people might like to think about, and solicit opinions on a couple of the options I am considering.

1) Frogg Toggs or O2 gear. Very light and cheap, bad for bushwhacking (not an AT concern, mostly). Frogg Toggs is pretty water tight, I've had problems with the O2. Frogg Toggs breathes well, I've had problems with the O2 (not waterproof, not breathable?). Neither fits remotely well and have non-functional hoods. The jacket version fits better than the pullover.

2) MEC Aquanator III Jacket. Completely water tight with a good fit, including a functional hood. Pit zips. Chest pockets. Heavier than most, but still light enough, particularly as you have full water protection. Not very breathable (worse than 2 ply goretex). Not super expensive. Carry a windshirt.

So, this is my contribution. Here are the three options I'm looking at for this summer.

1) Campmor silnylon poncho. I'd carry a windshirt. I like this option as it seems to give good weather protection and during breaks I can pull my head in and eat out of the rain. Ventilation seems good. The main downside is in the wind, it seems like the poncho would be a huge pain. And, unless plans change, I am going to be up high and exposed a lot. Also, I'll probably be doing some bushwhacking, which will be a pain in the poncho. I think the poncho is like $45 for the extended size.

2) Umbrella. I'd have a windshirt as well. With this, I could really relax during breaks. But, this is even worse for high, windy, exposed places and in bushwhacking. Another cheap option.

3) Integral Designs EVENT jacket. The best for up high and in the wind, and in the bush, and it would alleviate my need to bring a windshirt. However, it is expensive (about $220) and I couldn't chill on breaks like the other two options.

Note that I won't be on the AT, so I won't have shelters around to take breaks in out of the rain. Right now, I'm leaning most toward the poncho idea.

So, any comments? Any confirmed poncho users? Have I missed an option?

erichlf
03-03-2005, 18:38
What works really well is a light weight fleece with a wind shirt on top.

Cedar Tree
03-03-2005, 20:03
www.thepacka.com
Cedar Tree

MileMonster
03-03-2005, 21:29
Don't know about the ones you listed. I'm considering the Patagonia Specter. Pullover is 6.5 oz, Jacket is 9.2 oz.

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=365993&sku=83771&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=

peter_pan
03-03-2005, 21:33
Intergal design event jacket will be warmer and drier on breaks...if you want shelter, carry a small tarp, 5x8 in silnyl is only 7 0z, with corner cords , and carry it in an outer pack pouch/pocket...Bush wacking and above treeline wind will both make the umbrella impractical. JMHO.

batoncolle
03-03-2005, 22:16
The Marmot Essence looks interesting, and it's not a bad price. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856572&parent_category_rn=4501456&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Freeze
03-03-2005, 23:56
Frogg Toggs worked well for me

verber
03-04-2005, 00:00
A few other options:

The new Montbell Peak Jacket (coming in the next month or so) which is approaching (not reaching) the breathability of eVENT, has pitzips which none of the light weight eVENT jackets have, and is 11oz. Looks really nice.

Pearl Izumi eVENT Cycling Jacket. If you have an outlet store near by you can often find one of their jackets on sale for $99. [Just doesn't get something made in 2001.. the stretch panels leak].

If it is cool doing a DWR shell + pile (seperate like an unlined windshirt + fleece, or intergrated like the Driclim wind shirt, Buffalo Activity Shirt, etc) can be effective.

Personally, even when I bring an eVENT rain jacket I still take my 3.5oz windshirt. I find that there are still a lot of conditions that my windshirt is much more appropriate than my eVENT shell... and it is just 3.5oz

As to ponchos... there are clearly people who are really fond of them. Over the years I have given ponchos a shot three times (each time was for multiple trips over at least a year of time). They just never worked well for me.

luxlite
03-04-2005, 00:42
1) Campmor silnylon poncho. The main downside is in the wind, it seems like the poncho would be a huge pain.

Any confirmed poncho users? I use the Campmor silnylon poncho and no other rain gear. Snap the snaps right and it's pretty good in the wind. Put a webbing belt around the middle for stormy weather, kinda like a bathrobe. Most of the rain I get caught in is on and off...the poncho is perfect because I can push it off onto the pack frame and pull it back over me while I am walking along. With rain jacket and pants you get hot, wet and waste time stopping to change.

Singletrack
03-04-2005, 07:12
Chris, seems I am always searching for something different in my rain gear, but after going full circle, I always return to the frogg togg jacket. Too bad it's not more durable for bushwhacking.

flyfisher
03-04-2005, 07:50
I have used a Frogg Toggs suit. It gets wet and stays wet, especially the cloth at theends of the sleeves. But it is really breathable and really dry inside.

I have tested the Redledge Thunderlight Escape Jacket. It works great, has a lot of the nice things (pit zips) that my Frog Toggs do not.

http://tinyurl.com/67h7e

I have carried an umbrella on the AT. It seemed bulky, heavy, fragile, and impossible to use with two hiking poles. I do like my poles on rocks, especially when it is raining.

I have used regular rain pants with the frog toggs, but made a simple rain skirt for either over shorts or over a kilt.

I use high gore tex gaiters to keep the rain from draining down my legs into my shoes.

I have briefly tried the packa. It seems like a really nice solution, except when wanting to take my pack off for a rest break in the rain. (It is probably the best way to keep the whole pack (including the pockets) dry.

I plan to build a loose "hunting shirt" style silnylon rain shirt this month for this spring. It will be long enough to cover shorts and will be sleeveless, essentially a somewhat small poncho with the side sewn up from the bottom to mid chest. this will allow wearing staying cool with wet arms, but a dry shirt in the rain. For cooler weather, I will have a pair of arm covers, similar to leggings, which will attach to the inside of the shoulder covers of the shirt.

Dainon
03-04-2005, 09:35
Aside from the discussion of ultralight rain gear options, would you mind saying where you'll be hiking? A 3-mth trip? After the AT, CDT, and PCT, I'd guess that options for long-distance hiking in the states would be limited.

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 10:13
Although I know little about them, DriDucks is one of the lightest weight options I believe is out there. Not much info on their website, so I tried to email em, but they werent much of any help about their product. All they did was tell me the price ($30 for the suit(?), which isnt on the website). Their so cheap their almost disposable, so you may wanna try em. If ya do, let me know how they are.

www.driducks.com

chris
03-04-2005, 10:58
Aside from the discussion of ultralight rain gear options, would you mind saying where you'll be hiking? A 3-mth trip? After the AT, CDT, and PCT, I'd guess that options for long-distance hiking in the states would be limited.

I haven't hiked the CDT. I hiked the GDT (north on the Divide in Canada), and I haven't finished the AT (the northern 500 miles). Even if you delete all of these, there are a lot of option just in the US and Canada. I haven't settled on a trip yet, but am battling with three things on my hands now. I don't have to commit to anything for another few weeks, though.

If I could get a Pearl Izmui jacket for $99, I would probably go that route and just deal with getting rained on during a break. Perhaps even bring a sombrero. The idea of spending, though $200+ on a jacket to bring on a stroll is a little off putting, though.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still leaning toward the poncho, as it is really different from anything I've used since the 3rd grade.

Youngblood
03-04-2005, 11:48
Chris,

It has been a few years since I tried a poncho and mine was the one pounder that Campmor sold with the snaps and extention to cover your backpack. One of the things I remember was that it could get under my feet on steep asends and maybe even block my view a little bit on steep desends. In the right conditions it was fine and in the wrong conditions... well, I didn't use mine for long.

Youngblood

chris
03-04-2005, 11:50
When you were standing straight up, how far down your legs did the poncho come? I'm 6'4", so I might not have the same problems. Trouble with Campmor is that I can't try the poncho on in advance.

Youngblood
03-04-2005, 12:04
When you were standing straight up, how far down your legs did the poncho come? I'm 6'4", so I might not have the same problems. Trouble with Campmor is that I can't try the poncho on in advance.
The stepping on it would not be as big a problem for you since I am 6'. I don't remember how far below my knees it went, I'll try to dig it out of my closet and make a measurement later today. It was probably a foot or so off the ground in the front; the problem was with steep ascends where you had to step up a foot or so in one step.

bulldog49
03-04-2005, 12:10
Don't know about the ones you listed. I'm considering the Patagonia Specter. Pullover is 6.5 oz, Jacket is 9.2 oz.

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&cgrfnbr=365993&sku=83771&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=

MileMonster: I've been looking at that also. If you do get it I'd be very interested in your evaluation of it.

erichlf
03-04-2005, 13:13
Seriously a windjacket over a light fleece. Wind Jacket 2 oz maybe $50. Light fleece 8 oz maybe another $50. You would bring the fleece anyway, and the wind jacket would have probably been brought also so no weight gained. If you were not going to bring a wind jacket then it was a 2 oz gain compared to most other UL rainjackets which weigh in at 8+ oz and cost twice as much. I know it sounds weird but next time it is raining outside try it. You will stay dry.

Blue Jay
03-04-2005, 14:57
Just get wet, it won't kill you I promise. The ultimate light weight rain gear is your skin. Wear enough to stay warm and enjoy what most people are afraid of.

bulldog49
03-04-2005, 15:00
Seriously a windjacket over a light fleece. Wind Jacket 2 oz maybe $50. Light fleece 8 oz maybe another $50. You would bring the fleece anyway, and the wind jacket would have probably been brought also so no weight gained. If you were not going to bring a wind jacket then it was a 2 oz gain compared to most other UL rainjackets which weigh in at 8+ oz and cost twice as much. I know it sounds weird but next time it is raining outside try it. You will stay dry.

What you are describing is the Marmot windshirt, cost $80-$90. This combo works fine in light or intermittant rain, but I wouldn't want to wear this in a heavy extended rain.

Mags
03-04-2005, 15:16
Chris,

I suspect our hiking styles may be similar (hiking consistently for a good chunk of the day), so with that in mind, here is what worked for me in cold, driving rain (and a blizzard once!)

1. I used a Wisp by golite. It was on clearence at STP for $40. Is 2.5 oz. It is highly water resistant (not proof) and wind proof.

2. My DriClime windshirt underneath

3. Polypro long sleeve top

My polypro was bone dry, my Windshirt was a little damp, the Wisp wetted through. My hiking style tends to generate a lot of body heat so the inner layer stayed dry. And this was in extreme condtions (above treeline, 12500', in a very wet type of snow snowstorm). For lite rain, find just the poly top and Wisp works well. Not sure if the Wisp is still made by GoLite or not, but any silnylon rain jacket should work similar.

I also have my Tilley hat which works for both rain and sun shine.

It is what worked for me anyway.

erichlf
03-04-2005, 16:22
What you are describing is the Marmot windshirt, cost $80-$90. This combo works fine in light or intermittant rain, but I wouldn't want to wear this in a heavy extended rain. From the description it didn't seem like it, but okay. The method that I am referring to was developed in Europe and seems to work very well in really wet conditions. I have used it through out the Red Woods and in Oregon. I live in the desert so of course where I live I could get away with just a DWR windshirt. But as just said I have used this method in very wet conditions.

chris
03-04-2005, 16:56
Just get wet, it won't kill you I promise. The ultimate light weight rain gear is your skin. Wear enough to stay warm and enjoy what most people are afraid of.

While feasible on the AT in the summer, this just won't work out west. I rarely put on raingear last summer on the AT and instead just got wet. But if I had tried the same thing in the northern Canadian Rockies later in the summer, I might have died (temps in the 40s, blowing wind, etc) unless I hiked non-stop.

Besides, I'm really a soft hiker at heart.

Whistler
03-04-2005, 17:05
...here is what worked for me in cold, driving rain (and a blizzard once!)

1. I used a Wisp by golite. It was on clearence at STP for $40. Is 2.5 oz. It is highly water resistant (not proof) and wind proof.

2. My DriClime windshirt underneath

3. Polypro long sleeve top

My polypro was bone dry, my Windshirt was a little damp, the Wisp wetted through. My hiking style tends to generate a lot of body heat so the inner layer stayed dry. And this was in extreme condtions (above treeline, 12500', in a very wet type of snow snowstorm). For lite rain, find just the poly top and Wisp works well. Not sure if the Wisp is still made by GoLite or not, but any silnylon rain jacket should work similar.

I've been wondering if multiple windshirts would work. Maybe a more resistant one outside like a Golite Helios or old Ether. And then a more breathable one underneath, like a Montane Featherlite or Marmot Chinook. All this over a thin shirt or two. Layer depending on how heavy the rain is...

Mags, could you describe the temperature range you've used this setup in?
-Mark

Youngblood
03-04-2005, 18:00
I'm 6' and it is 8" from the floor in the front... dang, no wonder I was tripping over it. It sure was aggrevating to have one foot on it and try to raise up on a steep rocky ascend. It was little bit like a women wearing a full length gown, having to constantly grab it and lift it or move it around so they can walk/see over obstacles. On relatively tame trail that wasn't a problem, just when the trail got tricky.

Youngblood

Kerosene
03-04-2005, 18:36
I'll rely on my Frogg Toggs jacket until a comparable weight Epic jacket becomes available.

In place of the pants, which only seem to really be needed in a cold hard rain (which does happen in the shoulder seasons), I just bought water-resistant DWR-treated wind pants to try out, saving 5 ounces. I'd rather have some protection than nothing.

Nightwalker
03-04-2005, 19:35
You have a brand in mind on that win d jacket? Mine's a little heavy.

Nightwalker
03-04-2005, 19:37
I don't mind gettin' wet, I just try to avoid it when I can. When there's no gettin' around it, grin and bear it. :D

Hey, my feet always get wet...

hungryhowie
03-05-2005, 01:16
I'll rely on my Frogg Toggs jacket until a comparable weight Epic jacket becomes available.

In place of the pants, which only seem to really be needed in a cold hard rain (which does happen in the shoulder seasons), I just bought water-resistant DWR-treated wind pants to try out, saving 5 ounces. I'd rather have some protection than nothing.

There actually is a comparable weight epic jacket and pants. I've lost the manufacturer's link, though, and can't find it for the life of me. The manufacturer specializes in Adventure Racing gear, and I'm 90% sure their name begins with an "M". The jacket weighed 6 or 7oz, so really light stuff. There were no pockets, but it had a hood and a welded zipper. It was also a nice khaki color. I think about $150 for the set.

Maybe if someone else can find it

-howie

RagingHampster
03-05-2005, 02:53
Sil-Nylon or plastic poncho for most hikes below tree-line. I carry the $0.99 ones you get at wally-world.

Get a lightweight shell that has pitzips for any multi-day hikes that might involve above tree-line/high-wind conditions. I ordered mine a size too big so I get plenty of ventilation up my back, and can layer underneath. I have a gtex "pac-lite" LL Bean shell I ordered a few years ago. Its simply a single layer of nylon with the gore-tex film bonded to it. It also has waterproof zips. They don't make it anymore unfortunately, but I'm sure there are similar products available.

fiddlehead
03-05-2005, 04:29
Title says it all. They are DRY! I've used them for PCT and CDT, CO trail and the Pyrenees. Switched to Patagonia jacket for Nepal but looking back, the Frogg Toggs would've been fine. I've done some bushwhacking in them, they held up for a while. Can't beat the price either. When I use them on my motorcycle in a driving rain, i only get wet at the zipper and then just a little bit. Gore-Tex just won't keep you dry! Fiddlehead

RagingHampster
03-05-2005, 13:14
I'd have to disagree with you fiddlehead, as I haven't had any problems with gore-tex. Personally I question the "breathing" capability of any material under real-world conditions, but I haven't had problems with water getting through, especially with waterproof zippers. The most important thing I've found with raingear is that you keep airflow under it. This helps to reduce your sweat and condensation from building up. As I said above, I make sure its big enough to be relatively loose (not so loose as to whip around in the wind) and having pitzips really does the job when the rain isn't being whipped around by the wind. I've also heard good things about frogtoggs though.

Just my $0.02. ;)

EDIT: Another important factor to keeping dry is pacing yourself. This is especially important when doing overnights in the winter with temps below freezing. In these cases, I always make sure I have spare layers anyways.

plodder
03-05-2005, 18:32
There actually is a comparable weight epic jacket and pants. I've lost the manufacturer's link, though, and can't find it for the life of me. The manufacturer specializes in Adventure Racing gear, and I'm 90% sure their name begins with an "M". The jacket weighed 6 or 7oz, so really light stuff. There were no pockets, but it had a hood and a welded zipper. It was also a nice khaki color. I think about $150 for the set.

Maybe if someone else can find it

-howie
Montane? //???

Mags
03-06-2005, 00:12
Mags, could you describe the temperature range you've used this setup in?
-Mark Anything from light drizzle to blizzard-like conidtions.

In a light drizzle, will just wear the Silnylon jacket. Remember, I like in CO where when it is raining it is often a cold rain. When I was on the AT, with warm rain, would just wear a rain hat.

In really driving rain, will wear the silnylon jacket with the windshirt.

Really like how I can mix and match with this setup.
As mentioned, also wear a Tilley hat as well. Never did like hoods for rain gear.

The worse condtion where I used this setup was at 12500' on Labor Day Weekend. It pushed the envelope, but it worked. I think these two pictures show the conditions better than any words!
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04/aga
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04/agb

Mountain Dew
03-06-2005, 00:40
Mags... :clap

I have been brain storming what to wear in freezing rain for a very long time now. I get cold very easy and stay that way for long periods of time. I'm gonna wear my North Face rain jacket over my Patagonia wind shirt with my Patagonia .5 Regulator wicking shirt next to my skin. Thanks for the brain storm Mags.

PS... If i die you are welcome to this combonation outfit and feel free to wear in the freezing rain yourself.

canyon
03-06-2005, 04:40
I use a Packa, hiked many many rainy days in it, I like to pull it on for only the heavy rain, and just walk in a windshirt the rest of the time. When I stop I always put up my tarp if it's raining, It great to get a cup of tea and some food, plus I can pull out my synthetic insulation only if I'm out of the rain, thats my rule

oliander
08-11-2005, 18:19
Love my "Reed Pants" from Golite. 5 oz., comfy, fold up tiny. I don't normally like Golite products but this one is great. Expensive so I had to wait for it to go on sale.

Footslogger
08-11-2005, 20:07
I just picked up something from Equinox called the Squall Anorack. It's a 5 oz silnylon pullover. Roomy hood with a nice visor brim, nice half zip in the front, huge stow pocket and armpit vents. I think it's going to work out great.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EQ1205

'Slogger

capoken
08-11-2005, 21:15
Someone was asking about driducks so I'll "weigh" in. I have a set and they are super light and super dry. However, the very first time I used them involved about 50 yards of bushwacking to get to out campsite. My partnet had Frog Toggs. My driducks developed two small holes. One I saw happen and one came out of no where. His frogg toggs were fine. I repaired my suite with a little duct tape and that adhered well. So, if you go with driducks be VERY careful if you go off trail and don;t expect to use them for more than a season. Frogg toggs are about twice the weight but much more durable. In the end, I'll probably just buy a new pair of driducks when I put too many holes in this set.

Sly
08-11-2005, 21:25
For next months hike on the JMT, I'm going to try the Driducks Micropore Rainsuit from Gossamer Gear.

Features
# 100% windproof
# 100% waterproof
# Breathable
# Compact
# Affordable
# Lightweight

Specifications
# Weight: Pants: 4.2 oz. (XL)
# Jacket: 5.5 oz. (XL)

Only $24.95

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/driducks_rainsuit.html

fiddlehead
08-11-2005, 21:48
In reply to the original post, it would help to know where you are going? i say this, because if you are going to Colorado, the rains tend to start early afternoon and only last a few hours. The 3 day soaking rains are common place on the AT but not out west. (possible exceptions of Washington state) If you are going to Canada and expect ice storms, i would carry something heavier. I like Frogg Toggs but carried Patagonia "No H2O jacket" when i went to the Himalayas last spring. (mostly because of the warmth factor. they are both very waterproof)
I don't know about this Driducks suit but would definitely like to try it out. Let us know what you think Sly.
A possible option for you to think about: Take along one of those cheap plastic rain ponchos that everyone here in Asia uses when they ride their motorcycles in the rain. (as a possible backup to an unbrella or something you suspect may not work) You feel like you are getting wet, but when you take it off, you find you are totally dry. They don't last very long (mine ripped after about 15 trips of 5 miles each but that's travelling at 40-50 mph) But would be good in an emergency or if you are worried about taking something you are not sure about and want an emergency backup. they cost about 50cents and really work. you would probably have to find one in Chinatown in a big city or something. I may bring a few of them home this fall and have them at the gathering. We'll see.
I am glad to see that you are trying out new stuff. That is the best way to discover what works and what doesn't.

Sly
08-11-2005, 21:57
I don't know about this Driducks suit but would definitely like to try it out. Let us know what you think Sly.

Will do.

They're probably something I wouldn't buy for the CDT, I'd go with the somewhat tougher Frogg Toggs, but they should be OK for the JMT. Plus, I like the price and the lightness.

peter_pan
08-12-2005, 08:25
I have both Dri DucKs and Rainwear's O2Rainwear....the O2 has seen about 1000 mile of AT and probably 75 days of actual use ...still going strong with a couple 2 inch duct tape repairs to minor holes.

The dri ducks are virtually the same...more acceptable color, tan, than yellow...lent to an in experienced friend for a foul weather, three day spring trip in the McCaffie knob area...He put a thumb through the side on the right side adjustin his pack staps....repaired with duct tape....His overall lack of experience with light gear and too much brute force testosterone is probably the major cause....

Bottom line....both of these will give great sevice to the careful user...BUT,do not use for bush wacking trip.

Pan

sierraDoug
08-12-2005, 12:26
Just got my Froggtoggs in the mail. Weirdly papery material. And damned light! If I hadn't read so many rave reviews here I'd think they shouldn't be taken outdoors... more of a hospital scrubs look and feel than a backpacker-ish slick product, like Marmot Precip's. The test is in the use, and I'm going to Yosemite to do the first 22 miles of the JMT in early September.

Thanks for all the info that helped me to pick my 'toggs.

canoehead
08-12-2005, 12:34
ems packlite. top/bottom lt-wt durable,it works great

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-12-2005, 12:40
We found out about Frogg Toggs when we heard about them from people who did security / surveillance type work. They swear by them. We've used them and, except for the weird fit, they are wonderful.

I'm still a fan of the extended sil-nylon poncho for backpacking because of the easy on & off and the ease of using it as a mini-tarp during stops. I also like to use an umbrella, but can't now due to needing two canes to hike. I have been known to use cord to make a belt to raise the hem of my poncho on steep grades to fix the problem with stepping on it and to control the flapping in high wind.

trippclark
08-12-2005, 12:57
I've tried several options but for the past 300 hiking miles or so (including at least 10 days with rain . . often significant rain storms) I have been VERY pleased with using an umbrella and gaiters. Yes, as some complain, arm gets tired and have to switch hands occassionally, and yes, I have to switch from two treking poles to one; but the lack of sweating and ultimate breathability, for me, more than make up for this. My present umbrella of choice is the GoLite Dome (no metal and very lightweight).

Now I will not think about going hiking without an umbrella.

By the way, I do carry a windshirt or rainjacket as a "backup" rain gear and for warmth, but so far these have not been used for rain gear WHILE HIKING (have used when in camp though and not working up a sweat).

Tripp

Sly
08-12-2005, 13:38
I'm going to Yosemite to do the first 22 miles of the JMT in early September.

Hey Doug, what day will you be starting? We start the 10th...

sierraDoug
08-13-2005, 02:57
I'll pick a date this weekend when I visit my brother (who's going with me). Twenty-five years ago he and I and his friend did the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail (about 210 miles) SOBO, then I left the group and they did the JMT. Except they missed the first 22 miles that climbs out of Yosemite Valley. So my brother will be completing the JMT with this trip... and I'll be starting it (not counting little segments I've done over the years). I plan to do the rest of it in two halves, next year and the one after.

Be aware that the side trail to Half Dome is closed Mondays to Thursdays till October something. We're going to hit it on Friday, Sat., or Sun. Oh, yeah. We'll be hiking downhill. Much easier!