PDA

View Full Version : My dog Emerson one month after rescue

Old Hillwalker
11-15-2011, 09:00
After reading about Drake's rescue I am prompted to talk about another rescued fellow, Emerson. He is a Senior Yellow Lab/Great Pyranees mix that I found through Petfinder. He was in a kill shelter in Tennesee when I adopted him and got shipped to New Hampshire by "Friends Fur Life". He is a big fellow weighing in at 109 pounds, but with absolutely no understanding of commands. He has the mellow characteristics of Yellow Labs, but with the size and double dew claws and conformation of the Great Pyranees.

I live about 20 miles from the AT in Maine (Saddleback, Bigelows, Mahoosucs) on 25 acres of heavily wooded ridgetop homestead surrounded by thousands of acres of woodland. Consquently, since arriving here, he has been on leash whenever we are outside. I'm pretty confident that once he is fully bonded to me and the property he will be allowed off leash at home.

After being here in Maine about a month, and a lot of effort, he now understands "sit", "no", "OK go", "easy" and "whoa". We are currently working on the commands "haw" and "gee" to get ready to attempt Skijoring this winter.

Yesterday we had a training day and went up to the AT crossing at ME Route 4 and headed south for several hours to accustom him to walking on 25 foot retractable lead while climbing and descending bumpy terrain, rocks and ledges. He quickly picked up the need to stop and wait on command before going up or down ledges that were more than 25 feet high so that I would not be pulled off balance and come crashing down by his weight and enthusiasm. I now have him slowing down on "easy" and stopping on "whoa". We were out for five hours on the trail, and the behavior difference between starting and finishing our session was remarkable. Several of the other dogs (mostly Yellow Labs) I have had on the trails over the years have not liked bog bridges and puncheons. Emerson immediately took to them even balancing on a single four inch wide puncheon as he made his way across a section of bog bridge.

I am extremely happy to have adopted this old guy who is bringing a lot of sunshine into the life of an old widower who lives like a hermit in the mountains of Maine.1439014391

Migrating Bird
11-15-2011, 09:24
Thanks for posting, looks you found a great companion. My daughter (lupine AT '09) just adopted a dog about 2 months ago.

10-K
11-15-2011, 09:36
Congrats! Emerson is a great looking dog! He's a lucky boy for sure.

One thing I've found with Drake is that his personality didn't really fully start emerging until I had had him for 2 months.

Even now he's still revealing little behaviors that he hasn't displayed before. I was told this would happen but I'm surprised at how he's really "come alive" over the past few weeks.

When I got Drake he would not look me in the eye and would shake when I walked towards him. Now if I'm sitting he'll run up to me and run his nose all over me trying to get me to pet him.

It's like a little miracle. :)

TheKO
11-17-2011, 21:15
Thanks for the rescue. My dog Rocco was also rescued from a kill shelter and he is the best thing that ever happened to me. Wonderful times are ahead for the both of you/

Feral Nature
11-18-2011, 16:57
Wonderful that you adopted him. As a goat farmer, I have had a number of Great Pyrenees LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dogs). They are an ancient breed and some have called them less domesticated in some regards. Therefore they are hard to train. They are intelligent dogs, but they have a different take on life. They work 24/7 guarding the herd and do it "their way". They are truly loyal and will stand between the owner or the livestock and the previewed threat, blocking with their powerful bodies. While I have had Pyrenees, I have not lost a chicken or a goat or anything else. They help goats deliver babies and clean up the afterbirth. I could go on and on. They are truly gentle to their charges, but will fight to the death against wolves or bears. Now, mix that with a Lab and you have a dog that might be a little bit easier to train as Labs tend to be that way. I would never allow Labs on my farm because they are bird dogs and just can't help but want to grab a chicken. But since you have your dog just for a companion, I imagine he will be a great partner.

DLANOIE
11-19-2011, 08:02
Hey Hillwalker!

Congrats on your new friend and hiking companion. I know the importance to the mind and soul of having someone to share the trail with. I love dogs and all that they can bring to your life! Keep us posted on your progress.