PDA

View Full Version : Drippy nose, sneezing, clearing nasal congestion

Janeway
11-15-2011, 09:16
I have allergies and blowing my nose is a daily routine. When I walk in the cold my nose seems to drip rather than out and out sneeze. I sometime wake up at night and feel the need to blow my nose so I can breathe better (moderate nasal congestion). I'm allergic to lots of things including cats, dust, pollen and more, a lot seasonal and the cats are not coming on my Thru-Hike. I get allergy shots every couple of weeks and will stop before I start, and hope I'll retain a lot of resistance for awhile, to resume when I get back. Kleenex are a big part of my life. So, here's the question: How does everyone handle the need to wipe and/or blow? I'll be taking lots of bandannas for many purposes and I even have a "Snot Spot" (Snot Spot Hand The One-of-a-kind, Wearable, Washable, Fleece Nose Wiper That Fits Over A Bare Hand Or Thin Glove Liner And Helps Runners, Hikers, Cross-country Skiers, And Others Fight A Runny Nose While On The Go), though haven't used it yet. When in the throws of a real allergy attack I go through quite a few kleenex (more clear fluid than 'snot'). Taking enough disposable kleenex will be impractical, of course, due to weight/space and pack out considerations. I plan to take a zyrtec every morning and a benadryl before going to sleep, hoping for minimal daily wiping/blowing. I'd really like to hear from experienced thru-hikers who have figured this out so I don't have to!

Scratch
11-15-2011, 09:38
If it's really bad you might try one of those nasal sprays. Usually I'm skeptical and very wary of shooting something up my nose. But I took one for the first time this season and it worked miracles. It cleared up the congestion and I didn't have a runny nose once. You could get rid of the zyrtec and benadryl and just take one of these. Of course, everyone's body is different but I hope it helps.

Amanita
11-15-2011, 10:46
I have a drippy nose often when it gets even a little chilly out. I bring kleenex on the trail with me and keep about 3 stashed in my "front pouch" with my map/guide and camera. But three is usually enough for a day's hiking for me. To be honest if I run out I use my shirt. By the time I'm two days in it's so gross and soaked with rain or sweat that it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Alternatively, you could try perfecting the art of the "snot rocket." Press down on one nostril with a finger and blow sharply to "blast" the snot out of the other nostril. I've seen people toss snot 3-5 feet with this method, gross but effective in certain circumstances.

Janeway
11-15-2011, 11:21
Great, Amanita! That would get rid of the excess and fun to boot to see how far I can get it. Hoping allergies turn out to be not a problem or that I can find the right meds. Nasal sprays can be self defeating, so I hadn't even considered them. I think I'll plan on carrying at least a few in my front pouch and maybe include a certain amount in my resupply boxes and/or bounce boxes.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2011, 11:48
Alternatively, you could try perfecting the art of the "snot rocket." Press down on one nostril with a finger and blow sharply to "blast" the snot out of the other nostril. I've seen people toss snot 3-5 feet with this method, gross but effective in certain circumstances.

+1 on this. The great thing about hiking alone is the ability to emit bodily fluids without having to worry about offending people!

Doc Mike
11-15-2011, 12:11
Just a thought and not medically proven but tends to work for a lot of people including me. Take 5000-6000 mg vit C spread out throughout the day. It is water soluble so if you take it at one time all you have is vitamin urine. Within a week it should fix the issue if it is going to work for you.

Let me know if it helps so far is has helped >90% of those I've told.

Monkeywrench
11-15-2011, 13:34

+1. An essential life-skill far too many people know nothing about.

rocketsocks
11-15-2011, 19:31
My record for sneezing is 26 in a row set back in 1982, it was a tuesday,I wearing a blue shirt and I think it was raining.In all honesty go see your doctor ask about astelin,nasacourt,and alegra.I hardly ever sneeze anymore best of luck to ya.

wildmonkey
11-17-2011, 12:35
Have you ever tried a Neti-pot saline rinse? I swear by them. I had sinus surgery about 5 years ago...the only good that came out of it was the Neti-pot. If you can stand any pressure there is a squeeze variation of the Neti-pot. It's worth a try.

Sandy of PA
11-17-2011, 13:20
I keep my allergies in check with powdered Vitamin C mixed with Stevia(for sweetner) added to my water. Sipping 5000mg over the course of a day, kept me snot free for the most part. I used Benadryl if I was having trouble at night.

skinewmexico
11-17-2011, 13:33
Not to rain on your parade, but a runny nose when exposed to cold is a genetic condition that effects a large number of the population. Well, it affects a large percentage of the population in a noticable way, according to an article I read in Ski Magazine years ago. It may be allergies too, but probably not. Just your body trying to pre-warm and humidify cold air going to the lungs. I also read another article years ago in Backpacker about Vitamin C reducing one's resistance to cold.

BobTheBuilder
11-17-2011, 14:25

Yes for snot rockets!
I have forgotten and launched a few while out walking my dog in the neighborhood and gotten some disgusted looks from my neighbors. That's one of the reasons I like to hike - your fellow hikers will just look on in appreciation and awe at a good snot rocket.