PDA

View Full Version : Please help had transportation from Maine to Georgia -- now gone

Kalell
11-15-2011, 11:40
Had a ticket voucher on an airline that only flies out west, the closest that airline could get me is to New York. If I booked a plane ticket right now it would be $100, but that ticket would incur very high change fees if I changed the return date. A open ended plane ticket would cost $900. I have looked into Greyhound and Amtrak and the hundred dollar airline fare beats them both hands down. Is planning your return date as simple as looking at your spreadsheet of your mileage and your days adding a week to it then booking your return flight? Since budget is such a huge factor does anyone have any suggestions? Extra zero days are a factor, as well as simply not having to worry about when I have to get back during the hike. How are you planning on making your return from either Springer or Katahdin? The gear is ready the finances are almost set, just have a few more things to do with final planning and then the thru hike will begin. Thanks for the advice.

WingedMonkey
11-15-2011, 12:05
I would be amazed to find any successful thru hiker that arrived at the end of the trail withing a week of planed finish other than the so called record holding speed hikers.

And not to be too negative of your chances...but remember the odds are more likely that you will not finish your hike than the odds that you will.

I would use the $100 ticket to get to the trail, then plan on return trip by another means sometime late into the hike.

Kalell
11-15-2011, 12:59
I would be amazed to find any successful thru hiker that arrived at the end of the trail withing a week of planed finish other than the so called record holding speed hikers.

And not to be too negative of your chances...but remember the odds are more likely that you will not finish your hike than the odds that you will.

I would use the $100 ticket to get to the trail, then plan on return trip by another means sometime late into the hike.

The odds - well in that case I have a free filght from NY. From what I have heard only 20% make it all the way - Planning for success brings success.

max patch
11-15-2011, 13:24
You don't have any idea when you'll finish (spreadsheet? hahaha) or even if you'll finish. I didn't plan how to get back until I finished. Got a ride to a hotel outside of Millinocket, made some phone calls from the hotel, and return trip planned. Whole process took less than an hour. And if you have internet capability - I didn't - I bet you can do it faster than that. Don't stress about it; if you can hike the trail you can certainly figure out how to get home.

max patch
11-15-2011, 13:29
Oh, by the way, went to Walmart, bought a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for the return trip. Got a ride to Boston, walked around the city, spent the nite in the Amtrack station, and took the train to Georgia.

jima59
11-27-2011, 21:07
Dont try to overthink the problem. Do the hike and enjoy yourself first,,, then worry about the return trip.

Storm
11-28-2011, 12:13
If you can make it to Maine you can certainly walk home. Just kidding of couse. If I happen to make it all the way I plan on dancing all the way home.

peakbagger
11-28-2011, 17:29
As other said dont stress on it. There are plnety of folks who day hike Katahdin plus there are always campers entering and leaving the park. 95% of them are leaving the park and heading to Millinocket and then down I95 south the Bangor and porbably 80% are heading to Portland with a fair share heading to Mass. They are mostly hikers and if they have room, will give you a ride. I usually offer to give a ride to any hiker that needs a ride at the main gate and the park staff normally indicate that there arent enough hikers to match the number of offers. Timing wise, most campers leave the park in the morning while day hikers leave in the late afternoon.