PDA

View Full Version : Georgia hikers "Occupy AT"

Hoop
11-15-2011, 14:31
This past weekend Scope and I advanced the protest movement from Winding Stair Gap to the NOC, brazenly occupying various sites at will, thumbing our noses at nobody in particular (hardly anyone around), and pitching tent and hammock wherever the heck we wanted to along the way before any authorities could give us the bum's rush. Guerilla-style tactics kept us in the clear, and undetected we finished our hike with a delicious greasy burger overlooking the river. Plans are in the works for similar exercises of the right to assemble.

scope
11-15-2011, 14:56
Obviously protesting enslavement from The Man - um... who actually pays the bills, funds more gear, greasy burgers, and Nantahala IPA!

hikerboy57
11-15-2011, 15:20
I met a young SOBO 2 years ago in the mahoosucs who told me she was "anti-corporate", so I asked her if she was against all the corporations that manufactured her gear, as well as the corporations who built/provided transportation to and from the trail and of course Knorrs.I love the idealism of youth!and in a similar manner, the OWS movement lacks any direction or focus, I think what theyre against most of all is being out of work.

strollingalong
11-15-2011, 15:52
Are you pro-corporate then?

hikerboy57
11-15-2011, 16:04
Are you pro-corporate then?
Im anti consumerism. outside of that Im "pro-good". there are good corporations, and there are bad corporations.corporations are owned by people. when I was younger I never wanted to work for a large corporation, felt I didnt want to become just a number. I now work for General Motors. My number is 752742. and Im okay with that.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2011, 16:13
Daughter used to go to a "hippie" college in the midwest. She is actually quite liberal herself, but these people were all so anti/non intellectual (which at a college is not a good idea) she transferred out of there.. Anyway, they were all "anti-corporation" too, except certain corporations (Apple, Starbucks, North Face, etc...) seemed to be exempt from their ire. Unfortunately, they had no good rationale as to what distinguishes the good corporations from the bad corporations.

Old Boots
11-15-2011, 16:28
The OWS movement is expressing the reality that most (73% according to a recent poll) Americans who opine that the economic system we curently ahve favors the rich over the middle ( if they still exist) and the poor. Corporations are neither good or bad, but the influence big money has on our political system is crippling our society's ability to provide jobs that offer upward mobility for young people.
My protest is against the greed that is pervasive in our society and the "I don't give a damn" attitude that has infected us in regard to one another and the environment around us. It's absence is what I find refreshing and encouraging about most of the people I meet in the wilderness and on this blog.

ChinMusic
11-15-2011, 17:58
Re: Georgia hikers "Occupy AT"

Please don't trash like those morons in NY

The Solemates
11-15-2011, 18:17
...the influence big money has on our political system is crippling our society's ability to provide jobs that offer upward mobility for young people.

How and why are corporations to blame for this? I blame politicians, who accept legalized pork-faced bribes in turn for a vote. It's government that needs to be re-vamped (or slashed to the bare minimum in my opinion), not corporations.

LESS GOVERNMENT! MORE FREE MARKET!