PDA

View Full Version : New AT Documentary

slimjim414
11-15-2011, 14:53
Stumbled across this earlier today. I realize there are always people who are shooting documentaries along the trail every year, but this one's kind of got a different spin on it. Walking The Walk

(http://walkingthewalk.org)I've heard a lot of people say that you should keep your ideologies to yourself while hiking, so we'll see how he handles it. Looks pretty cool to me though.
Thoughts?

Feral Nature
11-15-2011, 15:48
I just joined his facebook group and am "talking" to him right now.

Cookerhiker
11-15-2011, 15:58
Stumbled across this earlier today. I realize there are always people who are shooting documentaries along the trail every year, but this one's kind of got a different spin on it. Walking The Walk

(http://walkingthewalk.org)I've heard a lot of people say that you should keep your ideologies to yourself while hiking, so we'll see how he handles it. Looks pretty cool to me though.
Thoughts?

He made a reference to hiking around Nashville. I see you're from Nashville. Do you know him?

slimjim414
11-15-2011, 16:03
Cool, didn't even notice that! May need to send him a message and see what he's all about.

bamboo bob
11-15-2011, 16:46
AN honest man, another guy wanting other people to pay for his hike. The charities get what's left over after the hiking expenses. In this case he's straight up about it at least.

WingedMonkey
11-15-2011, 16:55
"All I need is $7,100"

I just love people that think others paying their way is considered a "donation" I don't see any where that he has formed a 501(c)(3).

Maybe he thinks he doesn't need one to accept "donations" to for his "evangelism".

Monkeywrench
11-15-2011, 17:50
Color me cynical, but it looks to me like he wants someone else to pay for his vacation.

ChinMusic
11-15-2011, 17:55
Color me cynical, but it looks to me like he wants someone else to pay for his vacation.

this...........

jersey joe
11-15-2011, 19:05
$7,100??? wow, i could do 4 thru hikes for that much money!

My biggest question with this type of thing is what happens if the thru-hike isn't successful...completion percentages are what, 15% at best?

Cookerhiker
11-15-2011, 19:41
He made a reference to hiking around Nashville. I see you're from Nashville. Do you know him?

Cool, didn't even notice that! May need to send him a message and see what he's all about.

I'm struck by the number of coincidences here:

1. You're both in Nashville
2. Both named Jimmie
3. You're the same age
4. You both plan to start a thruhike in 2012
5. Your WB name is Slimjim414; his Facebook website is www.facebook.com.jimmiejackson414 (http://www.facebook.com.jimmiejackson414).

Quite remarkable I'd say

Lone Wolf
11-15-2011, 19:43
I'm struck by the numbe of coincidences here:

1. You're both in Nashville
2. Both named Jimmie
3. You're the same age
4. You both plan to start a thruhike in 2012
5. Your WB name is Slimjim414; his Facebook website is www.facebook.com.jimmiejackson414 (http://www.facebook.com.jimmiejackson414).

Quite remarkable I'd sayhahaha. busted! :sun

ChinMusic
11-15-2011, 19:46

Even worse, he's trying to spam us.

Just a Hiker
11-15-2011, 20:01
hahaha. busted! :sun

Slimjim....you played your game on the wrong website. Historically, people who go on the internet and ask for money to hike their hike are looked at with a dubious eye; therefore, it was only a matter of time before someone on Whiteblaze took a closer look at you. As with any website/media outlet, Whiteblaze can build you up.....and Whiteblaze can take you down.

Papa D
11-15-2011, 20:24
I could live on the trail for two years for what this person wants to collect -- yea -- lots of trolls seem like good guys -- sorry, I'm just going to put him down as another thumping religious dude to steer clear of -- I'm all for faith, hope, and charity, but religion dangerous -- steer clear.

silverscuba22
11-15-2011, 20:29
i wonder if his "Christian" values will kick in soon and he will come apologize ?? i kind of doubt it......

ekeverette
11-15-2011, 20:30
i don't understand why folks want to make this so complicated.... he don't even know if he's going to complete it, and did you see the rewards. some folks just mess this thing up! just go hiking for gods sake!... like lone wolf says..... it's just walking.

slimjim414
11-15-2011, 20:33
Whoa whoa whoa.... haha ok let me address everything. First off, I am the real Jimmie. The original poster of this was a buddy of mine who was trying to get my project more exposure. Since most of my logins/passwords are the same, I suppose he found a way on to my account. I sincerely apologize, I would never have used this site for the reasons of promoting a project of mine. I respect this community too much and have learned far too much about my upcoming thru-hike to do something like that.

Second, I don't have a 501c3 just yet because when I attempted it several months ago it didn't go as planned but I think I may have found a way to attain that still. The amount of the budget is not outrageous...it's the normal cost for attaining the equipment plus the 6 months of food and supplies, plus small camera equipment and film permits.

Third, I don't plan on being in your face about anything. I'll be capturing the community and culture of the trail hiking community (as others have done), as well attending churches and interviewing those who perform trail magic. Again, in no way will I be in your face about my spirituality. I'm no "thumping religious dude." :)

Again I sincerely apologize. If it still seems like I'm laying the blame on "a friend"...well there's simply nothing else I can say. I'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail in a few months and I am completely excited for it.

Happy trails.

silverscuba22
11-15-2011, 20:38

Why would your "friend" say that ??

BenLeaman
11-15-2011, 20:49
Why would your "friend" say that ??

Truth.........

Papa D
11-15-2011, 20:58
hmm - ok - have fun suspicious one

Lone Wolf
11-15-2011, 21:03
Whoa whoa whoa.... haha ok let me address everything. First off, I am the real Jimmie. The original poster of this was a buddy of mine who was trying to get my project more exposure. Since most of my logins/passwords are the same, I suppose he found a way on to my account. I sincerely apologize, I would never have used this site for the reasons of promoting a project of mine. I respect this community too much and have learned far too much about my upcoming thru-hike to do something like that.

Second, I don't have a 501c3 just yet because when I attempted it several months ago it didn't go as planned but I think I may have found a way to attain that still. The amount of the budget is not outrageous...it's the normal cost for attaining the equipment plus the 6 months of food and supplies, plus small camera equipment and film permits.

Third, I don't plan on being in your face about anything. I'll be capturing the community and culture of the trail hiking community (as others have done), as well attending churches and interviewing those who perform trail magic. Again, in no way will I be in your face about my spirituality. I'm no "thumping religious dude." :)

Again I sincerely apologize. If it still seems like I'm laying the blame on "a friend"...well there's simply nothing else I can say. I'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail in a few months and I am completely excited for it.

Happy trails.you need to work and raise your own cash to pay for your vacation

Hooch
11-15-2011, 21:27
you need to work and raise your own cash to pay for your vacationNo ****. Work overtime, a second job, cut back on expenses, etc, but don't expect others to pay for your vacation.

Slo-go'en
11-15-2011, 21:34
God helps those that help themself's... Gotta admit, it looks like the kid had a pretty good scam going.

vamelungeon
11-15-2011, 21:39
Truth.........
LYING is one of the "Big Ten" that Moses got from God hisself. Pretty lame Jimmie, pretty lame!

Cookerhiker
11-15-2011, 21:41
It's pretty easy to join WhiteBlaze; anyone can do it. New members sign up literally every day. Why didn't your friend simply join WB rather than plagiarize your good name? Under his/her own name, he/she could have promoted your venture.

God helps those that help themself's....

Some might think that comes from the Bible but it emanated from Ben Franklin who was certifiably not a Christian.

silverscuba22
11-15-2011, 21:53
It's pretty easy to join WhiteBlaze; anyone can do it. New members sign up literally every day. Why didn't your friend simply join WB rather than plagiarize your good name? Under his/her own name, he/she could have promoted your venture.

becuase it wasnt a "friend", he was pulling the same crap that Man Patch dude did a few weeks ago. they both got caught, only man patch at least came clean and admitted it. i guess he should of blamed it on his "friend" lol

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2011, 00:43
Beeeaaaarrrr fiiiiggghhhttttiiiinnnggg!!!!

Rasty
11-16-2011, 00:50
If it smells like ....

ChinMusic
11-16-2011, 01:08
Hyofh ..............

slimjim414
11-16-2011, 01:49
Listen I realize it sounds fishy, but it's honestly just gotten out of control. He was still in control of my account when he made the second statement, for whatever reason. My friend was an idiot and that's all there is to it. I've apologized for him and myself, it's time to let it go.

lemon b
11-16-2011, 08:53
Wish him the best trip. Talking the talk however is much different from hiking the hike.

jersey joe
11-16-2011, 10:03
...it's the normal cost for attaining the equipment plus the 6 months of food and supplies, plus small camera equipment and film permits.

I'm curious about your "normal cost" of $7,100.

6 months of food might cost you $1,000.
Gear another $1,000
Incidentals, town stops, etc. another $1,000

That is 3k...are you including camera equipment in this figure?

slimjim414
11-16-2011, 11:32
After the research I've done on this site actually, I kept hearing that the cost of incidentals, town stops and food would cost an average of $3-$3.5k. That figure varied greatly though, depending on who you talked to but that seemed to be the most popular figure. Of course it depended on how often you stopped in town and such.

Gear is costing way more than $1k. I didn't have much to begin with so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. My gear cost is including the main things (pack, tent, sleeping bags), three pairs of trail runners, clothing, water treatment, toiletries, and yes the camera gear.

bannerstone
11-16-2011, 11:40
Listen I realize it sounds fishy, but it's honestly just gotten out of control. He was still in control of my account when he made the second statement, for whatever reason. My friend was an idiot and that's all there is to it. I've apologized for him and myself, it's time to let it go.

Pushback... really?

jersey joe
11-16-2011, 12:10
After the research I've done on this site actually, I kept hearing that the cost of incidentals, town stops and food would cost an average of $3-$3.5k. That figure varied greatly though, depending on who you talked to but that seemed to be the most popular figure. Of course it depended on how often you stopped in town and such.

Gear is costing way more than $1k. I didn't have much to begin with so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. My gear cost is including the main things (pack, tent, sleeping bags), three pairs of trail runners, clothing, water treatment, toiletries, and yes the camera gear.

Thanks for the answers...I actually found your gear list on your site and see that you are looking at higher end gear. My estimates were on "value" gear(i.e. a $120 sleeping bag instead of a $529 for sleeping bags/liners.) Based on this, your estimate makes more sense.

takethisbread
11-16-2011, 13:26
Pay for own hike. Good if you raise money for charity. I commend the effort. $3,000 is a luxurious hike. I think you probably own most of the gear. Food is usually less than $10 a day. Less money can be a tool to bring you closer to God, do look at it as an opportunity. As Jesus said, "it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God."

lemon b
11-16-2011, 13:31
On the benifit thing and hiking for a cause. I've been known to kick in. But only when I meet the hiker on the trail. And never to anyone who is a badger.

Tom Murphy
11-16-2011, 14:05
I have much more respect for the FKT self-promoters like Jenn and the Goat. They manage to get corporate sponsorships to help pay for their vacations. And then turn around and parley that fame into speaking fees and book deals. It is honest capitalism.

This kind of crap is so gross. Especially when he lists high-end gear.

Slim Jim -
Work tons of hours, save every penny, and carefully search for sales and yard sales.
Finance your hike, make your movie and then donate any of the proceeds

WingedMonkey
11-16-2011, 14:32
Check with Lone Wolf, he will help pay fr your adventure. I'm sure he did last year for someone that was writing a book about their thru-hike.

WingedMonkey
11-16-2011, 14:34
Check with Lone Wolf, he will help pay for your adventure. I'm sure he did last year for someone that was writing a book about their thru-hike.

Ignore that post. That wasn't me typing. Some how my 7 y/o grand-nephew got on my computer and used my user account. This is the real winged Monkey. I would never have posted that.
:rolleyes:

ChinMusic
11-16-2011, 14:38
Slim - Have you considered a hammock?

silverscuba22
11-16-2011, 14:53
Ignore that post. That wasn't me typing. Some how my 7 y/o grand-nephew got on my computer and used my user account. This is the real winged Monkey. I would never have posted that.
:rolleyes:
HAHAHA, very nice

ekeverette
11-16-2011, 16:09
that was a good one winged monkey..... right on the spot!