PDA

View Full Version : Which Is The Best Air Mattress "Inflator"?

GSLeader_in_NC
11-16-2011, 13:17
Hi, all!

I am getting my Christmas gift "wish list" together, and have always been intrigued at different air mattress inflators I have seen online.

I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad, and even though (most times) I love it, it takes me FOREVER to blow it up. I have seen pictures of long, lightweight plastic tubes that you attach to the valve and it pushes the air in the mattress, but am not sure if anyone has any experience using them, nor do I remember the different manufacturer's names. :( If you have used them before, which is the best kind to buy for my Big Agnes? I probabaly won't take it backpacking, but I do a lot of car camping with the Venture Scouts and would love to not be "dizzy" and breathless when I am done blowing the thing up.

Any suggestions? Santa (my husband) said he'll buy one for me!

Thanks!

hikergurl
11-16-2011, 13:42
I'll add another question, has anyone used a bicycle pump (the small palm-sized ones) to any effective use with their mattress?

Hoop
11-16-2011, 13:46
The plastic tube is the "Instaflator" (Google it.) Very lightweight, works fine, comes with extra fittings; prevents lung moisture from entering the pad. Sort of flimsy but it costs only a couple of bucks

RevLee
11-16-2011, 14:55
Definitely check the Instaflator. It only weighs 1.5oz and can fill a NeoAir quickly.

skinewmexico
11-16-2011, 16:44
Another vote for the Instaflator. Amazing product and value.

Abner
11-17-2011, 00:30
Check this out. This little 12 inch pump is outstanding for blowing up a Big Agnes pad. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=double+quick+iii+air+pump&gs_upl=0l0l1l2626l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=599&wrapid=tlif132150379563310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17200609572079361177&sa=X&ei=PozETsexIMjX0QGBx-3iDg&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAw#
It weighs maybe ten ounces, this figure for weight is my own, I don't see the weight published anywhere, but I found one of these pumps at a low end gear shop and it is for me the solution for blowing up my Big Agnes pad. I did have to fashion a ten inch piece of rubber tubing from a garden shop, to make a better connection between the pump to the valve on the Big Agnes. I had to heat up one end of the rubber tubing and force a dowel into the tube to stretch it so that there would be a good fit on the Big Agnes filler valve. But the pump is only a foot long, maybe four inches in diameter and is not a great weight penalty. Takes about forty strokes to blow up the pad, and it is a dual action pump.

Odd Man Out
11-17-2011, 11:03
I recall seeing that an air pad company sold a stuff sack for the pad that doubled as an inflator (like the instaflator, but on a smaller scale). But I don't recall where i saw that. Does anyone know about this option?

Rocketman
11-17-2011, 12:10
I'll add another question, has anyone used a bicycle pump (the small palm-sized ones) to any effective use with their mattress?

It may take some work to get a good connection between the pump and the mattress.

Unfortunately, there are some physical reasons why the approach is not very good. The physical size for a lightweight bicycle pump is small, and therefore only a few cubic inches per pump stroke are possible. (You could carry one of the bigger floor models of pump to get around this limitation.)

The volume of air that must be pumped is obtained by figuring out the inflated volume of the mattress by multiplying Length (inches) X Width X Thickness and for 72" x 20" x 1.5" this comes out to 2,160 cubic inches.

Your bicycle pump stroke volume, for the small ones is somewhere between 5 and 10 cubic inches. So for the example, you would need to stroke the pump between 420 and 210 times to inflate the mattress.

If you have a thicker air mattress, the number of pump strokes is even higher.

I foolishly forgot to run the calculation before I went to the work and expense of finding really light bicycle pump and figuring out how to adapt it to pumping the mattress. I pumped forever - 200 counted strokes, and then finally did the calculations.

You have to move a lot of air, so you should move a lot with each "stroke" or equivalent. You don't need high pressures like those in a tire, so you don't need many of the features of a bicycle pump.

skinewmexico
11-17-2011, 12:23
Instaflator - $3.99, 1 ounce.

jakedatc
11-17-2011, 15:11
where is a good place to order an instaflator?? my gf would probably like one for her BA air core.

rocketsocks
11-17-2011, 15:42
TheMillairCo,or try "Leslie pool"I'm gonna buy one.

brotheral
11-17-2011, 16:21
I understand you're not looking for something to take backpacking. I use something just like this for inflating my twin or full size coleman air mattress when car camping. I've had the same one for 10 years. Pretty sure I got it at K-Mart for < $10.00. Works great every time. Don't need batteries or car lighter port... I just keep the pump in the tent in case I need to add a little air. It's far more reliable and faster than the other gizmos. Keep it Simple :) !?!?

QUOTE=Abner;1219314]Check this out. This little 12 inch pump is outstanding for blowing up a Big Agnes pad. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=double+quick+iii+air+pump&gs_upl=0l0l1l2626l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=599&wrapid=tlif132150379563310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17200609572079361177&sa=X&ei=PozETsexIMjX0QGBx-3iDg&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAw#
It weighs maybe ten ounces, this figure for weight is my own, I don't see the weight published anywhere, but I found one of these pumps at a low end gear shop and it is for me the solution for blowing up my Big Agnes pad. I did have to fashion a ten inch piece of rubber tubing from a garden shop, to make a better connection between the pump to the valve on the Big Agnes. I had to heat up one end of the rubber tubing and force a dowel into the tube to stretch it so that there would be a good fit on the Big Agnes filler valve. But the pump is only a foot long, maybe four inches in diameter and is not a great weight penalty. Takes about forty strokes to blow up the pad, and it is a dual action pump.[/QUOTE]

atmilkman
11-17-2011, 16:35
I recall seeing that an air pad company sold a stuff sack for the pad that doubled as an inflator (like the instaflator, but on a smaller scale). But I don't recall where i saw that. Does anyone know about this option?
Big Agnes makes a product called the pumphouse. This is one place I've seen it. http://www.campsaver.com/pumphouse-drysack-and-pad-pump Have no experience with it. They make it sound good. Only weighs an ounce and a half. I can vouch for the instaflator, good product for the money. I got mine on Ebay for about six bucks. It's a buck more now. I use it to inflate a large neoair. Although I only inflate the neo to ten breaths (twenty will inflate it completely) I use it for moisture prevention.

Odd Man Out
11-17-2011, 17:19
Big Agnes makes a product called the pumphouse. This is one place I've seen it. http://www.campsaver.com/pumphouse-drysack-and-pad-pump Have no experience with it. They make it sound good. Only weighs an ounce and a half.

Yes, I think that must have been it. They say it can be used as a water carrier/shower. I wonder if it would work as a water reservoir for a gravity filter system? Plus a dry bag/stuff sack, pillow, and inflator. Talk about multi use for just 1.5 oz.

Odd Man Out
11-17-2011, 17:20
I should include disclaimer. These are just speculations. I have not tried the product. But it sounds good.

jakedatc
11-17-2011, 17:31
hmm having a semi dry stuff sack for sleeping bag would be nice. i watched a video and it took the guy like 5 refills to do an Air Core pad.

QiWiz
11-17-2011, 23:28
Big Agnes makes a product called the pumphouse. This is one place I've seen it. http://www.campsaver.com/pumphouse-drysack-and-pad-pump Have no experience with it. They make it sound good. Only weighs an ounce and a half.
Yes, I think that must have been it. They say it can be used as a water carrier/shower. I wonder if it would work as a water reservoir for a gravity filter system? Plus a dry bag/stuff sack, pillow, and inflator. Talk about multi use for just 1.5 oz.

I use The BA Pumphouse and like it, especially when it gets cold and I worry about condensation forming inside from moist air I exhale.

OzSwaggie
11-18-2011, 20:14
While on the topic of Big Agnes type air mattresses, does anyone else find them COLD when compared with thermarest self inflating or ordinary foam? Or is it just that I've been blowing it up by mouth? (so - moisture) ? Lately I've been carrying Big Agnes AND a thin foam mat which I put on top and is toasty warm, but pretty bulky combo! and extra weight...

Tinker
11-18-2011, 20:19

Stephenson Warmlite has been doing this since the late 1970s, probably before, for their down filled air mattress. I had one of their expedition quality down bags a number of years back. I highly recommend their products but warn that if you get a leak in your down or synthetic (fiber) filled mat, you will not only be without cushion, you will also be without insulation (also, when you sit up on the pad your butt gets cold from the surface underneath because the air is squeezed to each end of the pad and away from your cheeks).
Oh, here: www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com)
The Stephenson pads have a Boston valve, not a screw type.

bwendel07
11-18-2011, 20:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIi7Of2ZFU

works great for me. it also doubles as a stuffing inside my jacket for a pillow.

heathpitts
11-20-2011, 12:01
I recently purchased this:http://www.camp-tek.com/microburst-technology.htmlLightweight and works without me having to do much work. Liking this so far

jakedatc
11-20-2011, 15:32
While on the topic of Big Agnes type air mattresses, does anyone else find them COLD when compared with thermarest self inflating or ordinary foam? Or is it just that I've been blowing it up by mouth? (so - moisture) ? Lately I've been carrying Big Agnes AND a thin foam mat which I put on top and is toasty warm, but pretty bulky combo! and extra weight...

The air only filled mattresses will be less insulating since they are just air in between. In the summer that is fine in the colder times you can do what you already do with a thin foam or i bet even a mylar emergency blanket would help some