PDA

View Full Version : shoes for feb 15th departure

Josh Calhoun
11-16-2011, 14:33
hello all, this is my first post on white blaze, and what an amazing resource this site is.

i was wondering in yalls opinion what would be the best hiking shoe/boot to use for starting the at in GA around the middle of febuary. i know snow is very likely at this time. thanks in advance!

The Solemates
11-16-2011, 17:08
we started 1 feb and had LOTS of snow the year we hiked (up to 3 foots drifts in sections). i traditionally hike in low-top trail type shoes, but in this instance i opted for full leather boots and am glad I did. trail shoes are okay when you can head home after 4 days and dry your feet out, but spending 7-10 days on the trail before stopping in town (which is what we did) required something more than trail shoes. i think i switched out to trail shoes after grayson highlands (although we continued to get snow - just not much accumulation).

B-Rabbit
11-16-2011, 17:39
Good question.. I was going to wear trail runners for the entire trip, but it seems like it could be a mistake. Im interested in what previous thru hikers have to say.

moytoy
11-16-2011, 19:59
I too am interested in what the winter hiking gurus have to say. It seems to me that the issue is keeping your feet warm. If your hiking in snow for three or four days I would think your going to get wet feet no matter what you wear.

ChinMusic
11-16-2011, 20:29
I'm a section-hiker with quite of bit of winter experience on the trail. I just wear trail runners. I carry some down booties for camp.

Frozen trail runners are much easier on the feet in the morning compared to boots.

YMMV

Josh Calhoun
11-17-2011, 09:34
how about trail runners with sealskyn walerproof socks on? would this be a good match up to help keep your feet warm. its not unusual to have 2 ft of snow in the nc mountians.

jcazz
11-17-2011, 09:50
Gore-tex trail runners with gaiters.....they will get wet and stay wet but they are warmer. Use your sleeping bag stuff sack to put them in at night and sleep with them so they don't freeze. Don't forget to bring extra dry socks, one of which are sleep only socks.

DavidNH
11-17-2011, 09:50
so you are about 4 months away from starting an AT thru hike and you are asking about what footwear to use? Man you ain't ready.

Go on some shake down hike and find out what works for you.

bigcranky
11-17-2011, 09:51
+1 for Chin Music's reply. I'm a section hiker with a lot of winter hiking experience in the Southern Appalachians. I wear Goretex trail runners and tall Goretex gaiters over medium wool socks, and my feet stay warm and dry even in deep snow. Frozen trail runners are way easier to deal with than frozen boots, and dry out a lot faster, too.

Down booties make a HUGE difference in camp and in my sleeping bag in the winter.

royalusa
11-17-2011, 09:59
We started Feb 18th with gortex trail runners and sealskinz waterproof socks. No gaiters, but we probably would have wanted them if the snow was deeper. We were pleased with our selection.

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 10:02
Never went gortex nor sealskinz. I apply Hydropel to my feet and just allow the shoes/socks to get wet.

Josh Calhoun
11-17-2011, 10:31
@ DavidNH , feb 15 2013. over a year away..........

thank yall for your help. i will definetly look into both.

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 10:40
@ DavidNH , feb 15 2013. over a year away..........

2013 is my year too. 2/15 is at the early end of the window I am looking at. If the weather gets nutzo I will be pulling off and waiting it out.

Josh Calhoun
11-17-2011, 10:57
this will be my first through hike. putting my resignition letter in at work and hitting the trail! maybe i will see you on there

1azarus
11-17-2011, 11:05
i agree with chin music. can't say enough positive about hydropel... applying it every "snowy/rainy/ford filled wet foot morning" means ending the day with feet in good shape, even with wet socks. you might want to try out hydropel before you go to see how much of it you use and how well it works. i would go with wool socks, low gaiters and non gore tex trail runners winter and beyond. i do a lot of year-round section hiking...

B-Rabbit
11-17-2011, 11:19
[QUOTE=DavidNH;1219374]so you are about 4 months away from starting an AT thru hike and you are asking about what footwear to use? Man you ain't ready.

Why is that?

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 11:50
this will be my first through hike. putting my resignition letter in at work and hitting the trail! maybe i will see you on there
Since you are 24, if we meet it would probably only be for a day or two. I can't see myself keeping up with the younger crowd.

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 12:00
i agree with chin music. can't say enough positive about hydropel... applying it every "snowy/rainy/ford filled wet foot morning" means ending the day with feet in good shape, even with wet socks. you might want to try out hydropel before you go to see how much of it you use and how well it works. i would go with wool socks, low gaiters and non gore tex trail runners winter and beyond. i do a lot of year-round section hiking...
Exact same strategy here. Hydropel is the bomb for feet, simply a miracle product.

I also like gaiters for snow above shoe level (doesn't take that much). I don't mind the wet but I don't like much snow getting into my shoes or the ice that tends to build up at the top of the shoe under certain conditions. I've played around wearing just one gaiter at a time on some dayhikes and def preferred the side with the gaiter.

rocketsocks
11-17-2011, 16:03
Try and get ones,that come w/laces:D:welcome

Bat321
11-17-2011, 18:06
Go for fit over forum hype.

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 18:11
Go for fit over forum hype.

For sure.

But, I haven't read any hype in this thread.

Smooth & Wasabi
11-17-2011, 19:44
As mentioned snow levels vary year to year, starting out march 3, 02 we saw no snow. I would plan for intermittent snow and have a back-up plan for a big snow year. I would personally plan on trail runners and dirty girl gaiters. As a contingency I would either add an overboot or go with a light w/b fabric/leather 3/4 boot with full w/b gaiters, of course conditions necessitating this would also find me debating snowshoes or adjusting my departure. In either case I would highly recommend the sealskins type socks or a vapor barrier sock. With mild temperatures I don't mind hiking with wet feet but if I am hiking in prolonged cold weather a sock system of this type will keep me much more comfortable and safe. They are pretty cheap and light insurance.

ChinMusic
11-17-2011, 19:51
I would personally plan on trail runners and dirty girl gaiters.

Those are the gaiters I use. My reasoning is that I do not even try to keep my shoes dry while hiking. Dirty Girl gaiters weigh next to nothing, DO keep the snow out of your shoes. but they are NOT waterproof.

If one is going with gortex in an attempt to stay dry, Dirty Girls are not the product for you.