PDA

View Full Version : April-May, 2012 thruhike?!

cphobes
11-16-2011, 16:29
Ok, thinking of doing a 30 day +/- a few days thru-hike. Looking at the BMT, starting possibly April, 2012.

Before I start buying guides and such, is this a feasible start time for the BMT? I don't cool-cold weather but is this to early?

Any thoughts would or help would be appreciated thanks.

-Stephen

cphobes
11-16-2011, 16:31
That should read I don't MIND cool-cold weather sorry.

-Stephen

SGT Rock
11-16-2011, 16:41
I think it would be a good time. All the services along the trail would be opened by then. My experience in this season is it can get a little cool at night on occasions along the BMT, but for the most part it should be comfortable hiking. That said, it can be subjective what some people find cool vs cold. Depending on your hiking speed, I usually estimate 21 days as a good time to plan for hiking days. You can decided how many days off to include in that, so 30 days +/- is a good planning time range.

cphobes
11-16-2011, 16:50
I think it would be a good time. All the services along the trail would be opened by then. My experience in this season is it can get a little cool at night on occasions along the BMT, but for the most part it should be comfortable hiking. That said, it can be subjective what some people find cool vs cold. Depending on your hiking speed, I usually estimate 21 days as a good time to plan for hiking days. You can decided how many days off to include in that, so 30 days +/- is a good planning time range.

Thanks! Let's see 30F is t-shirt weather, I should have the trail name turtle but was worried about Tipi getting the wrong idea. :) How are the bugs that time of year?

-Stephen

SGT Rock
11-16-2011, 16:56
I've not had any issues I can recall in that season.

cphobes
11-16-2011, 17:09
That's great to hear, thanks!

cphobes
11-16-2011, 18:10
I've not had any issues I can recall in that season.

I decided to order the guide book, if you have any helpful spreadsheets that can be used for planning (like the AT ones on the site here). I'd love to get a copy. Still not sure I can do this but might as well start planning.

-Stephen

SGT Rock
11-16-2011, 18:19
I don't think I have anything like you are looking for. I think most of your planning issues can be figured out with the guidebook. Once you get it hand, feel free to ask anything here.

cphobes
11-16-2011, 18:22
Ok thanks!

-Stephen

Slo-go'en
11-16-2011, 19:10
I went to Springer on April 7th this last spring with the intentions of hiking the BMT. However, it was still pretty stormy (tornados were still chewing up towns just to the west), so, at the last minute I decided to stick to the AT where I had to option of using a shelter if I had too and where towns were closer together and easier to get to.

I decided if I were to try it again, I would wait until maybe the 3d week of April. By then the weather is starting to calm down and it's a bit warmer, without being too hot. Being warmer means bringing less warm clothes, so lighter pack and more room for food.