PDA

View Full Version : man,.... its so close

SETX_Mason
11-16-2011, 19:53
With NoBo season only 4 months away(give or take a month for some hikers)

thinking about it a month ago realizing i intend to hike the amount of time im still waiting to hike.... was kinda daunting but here i am now realizing how close i am from deciding to do it 5 months ago....

4 months ... and then.... the trail.... ive done all the research and looking into i can, ive read trail journals and followed a few hikers blogs from this last hiking season.....

but when it comes down to it no little 65 mile hike at philmont or the week long hikes the years before it can prepare me for it

People ask me all the time when they hear what im doing "do you realize what it will take to do that?" and of coarse i say SURE I DO!!!

But really... i dont.... but ill tell you what... im dying to find out(if i die feel free to laugh at this post next year)...

Who else is getting twitchy with Green Fever ?

johnnybgood
11-16-2011, 20:16
Just break it down into 50 mile section hikes , one section at a time . Don't look beyond a week at a time and you're be just fine.

Feral Nature
11-16-2011, 20:20
Twitching here too!

CaptainNemo
11-16-2011, 20:22
Very twitchy! 12 months of planning (which mainly feels like waiting) done and 5 more to go for me (leaving in April I think). Feeling confident in my abilities and determination. Not as confident in financing the trip :). Dad said he might help me out but 9 dollars an hour to Momma K is hard work. Payoff will be unimaginable.

Wobegon
11-16-2011, 21:35
The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time... On my thru this summer, I always looked two or three days in advance to the next milestone... That could be an overlook, a town, a state line, SOMETHING to get me through and (especially early on) not dwell on how far away Maine was.

Six-Six
11-17-2011, 12:04
Very Twitchy. Can't wait to start. Checking things off the list of 'must do's' before leaving. Then checking them again and again. Re-examining my gear list, learning new one-pot recipes, drying some food to add variety to the meals, breaking in trail runners, weighing everything, exercising and day-hiking, re-reading every book I have on the trail, fixing everything physical I can (gall bladder surgery Dec 1st), reminding myself that it's not a thru-hike, it's a thru-hike attempt until it's done and that after a few weeks, it will be mostly mental. This part is sweet agony, but the real adventure begins in April. Yeah, I'm twitchy.

B-Rabbit
11-17-2011, 12:10
Twitching with you!! It amazes me how many negative responses I get when I tell people my plan: "Are you gonna still work?", "Do you know the success rate?", "That's crazy talk",.... and so on. I guess if everyone thought like this we would not be here on whiteblaze "twitching" to go through the most painful, miserable, wet, cold, hot,... most amazing and soul awaking journey of our lives. Good luck to you and hope to see you out there!!

Hoofit
11-17-2011, 12:44
Got the twitch and a gut to match - hope to unload 'em both in the Spring- just gotta figure out how to pay for it...
Missing the woods real bad...

Old Hiker
11-17-2011, 13:14
104 days and a wake up.

Mike2012
11-17-2011, 13:50
Made some advances in financial planning over the past week - just gonna have to bite the bullet on that one.
Reading (finally) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson,
Walking the Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxemborg,
The Appalachian Trail Reader by David Emblidge.

In the past three weeks have also read:
White Blaze Fever: Georgia to Maine on the Appalachian Trail by William Schuette,
and another one whose name I forget that I already returned to the library.

The tent I bought 2 years ago, a Sierra Designs Meteor Light 2 person/ 3 season, weighs 5+ pounds so probably need another one.
My 12 year old MSR whisper light is still working but I think there are lighter options now.
My Gregory Fury pack is shot and was probably too small to begin with.

Biggest hurdles are moving out and storing stuff so I don't have to pay rent but I guess it will be beneficial to give away a bunch of stuff I don't want or need anymore. Oh, and getting in shape. Can't forget that one.

I have the white blaze fever I think.

Bat321
11-17-2011, 14:06
I have it too!
Best AT book I read was 300 Zeros.

Entropy2012
11-17-2011, 14:14
Man, it's just about starting to kick in. Still waaaay behind prep wise. Haven't got flights, insurance or most of my gear...

It's all planned out though; just waiting on the paycheck :(

I've been having more and more dreams about it every night and they seem to be getting weirder and weirder... :P

SETX_Mason
11-17-2011, 17:21
yep im already too(mostly)... i think i should post a gear list soon so smarter people than i can dissect it and give me advice...
money the only thing i haven't finished.... i have 1000 in the bank so far and expecting over a 1000 back from income tax.... got a good job making 405 after taxes a week (poeple think im crazy quiting the job as it is just to go hike).... just need to clamp down and save it all up befor i mess my self up by not saving enough........ my dad will give me a ride to Springer and ill worry about how to get home when im done(i can walk back after it if i had too lol)

i swear ive watched every vid on youtube under the search term Appalachian Trail lol (my favs are the bear vids)

i mess with my family saying "yep just me, my knife, and bears for 6 months!" all the time

Storm
11-17-2011, 18:34
I'm not twitching yet. Pretty old, maybe my twitcher doesn't work anymore. Got the gear, got the desire, got the money, getting in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. Only thing left to do is wait for spring.

Blacktop
11-17-2011, 18:51
I got my gear ready to go just have to work on clothing! Cold weather clothes still looking at post on WB probably the one thing I really need help with. But ready for march 20 th.

Harpua
11-22-2011, 21:30
yeah im getting a lil antsy here too. i am leaving for springer in the spring. other then that ive made zero plans..... however i am saving as much cash as i can make. i think a large amount of money to spend while im out there will make up for all my lack of planning......

Feral Nature
11-23-2011, 16:47
I'm not twitching yet. Pretty old, maybe my twitcher doesn't work anymore. Got the gear, got the desire, got the money, getting in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. Only thing left to do is wait for spring.

They got an ap for that.

Tinker
11-23-2011, 16:54
The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time... On my thru this summer, I always looked two or three days in advance to the next milestone... That could be an overlook, a town, a state line, SOMETHING to get me through and (especially early on) not dwell on how far away Maine was.

I just knew I shouldn't have checked out this thread. Now I'm HUNGRY! :)

ekeverette
11-23-2011, 17:15
has'nt hit me yet... to be honest, i'm bit scared. but will be retiring feb 30th after 30 years, damnit, i deserve a break. it'll start hitting me about 3 weeks before i go.... main worry.... is the cold and rain... but i can do it. hope to see you guys out there.. good luck!

Mike2012
11-24-2011, 20:01
has'nt hit me yet... to be honest, i'm bit scared. but will be retiring feb 30th after 30 years, damnit, i deserve a break. it'll start hitting me about 3 weeks before i go.... main worry.... is the cold and rain... but i can do it. hope to see you guys out there.. good luck!

There's no such thing as bad weather - just the wrong clothes. The hot days will always be hot but the wet days can always be more comfortable.

GuyMonday
11-26-2011, 13:14
Twitching with you!! It amazes me how many negative responses I get when I tell people my plan: "Are you gonna still work?", "Do you know the success rate?", "That's crazy talk",.... and so on. I guess if everyone thought like this we would not be here on whiteblaze "twitching" to go through the most painful, miserable, wet, cold, hot,... most amazing and soul awaking journey of our lives. Good luck to you and hope to see you out there!!

People always tell me I'm crazy for wanting to spend my free time (and eventually, six months) hiking. I'm glad that at least my father understands, but it's hard explaining to people what you (and even they) are capable of, and what you experience along the way. I wish I hadn't just signed a lease and bought a car, I want to be there for the 2012 kickoff.

CROCKETT
12-03-2011, 21:04
I too retire soon.. My last day is 12-31-11. I have been planning my thru hike for the past year or so.. All gear bought, trying to get in best shape I can, running 3 or 4 times a week. The snow is a concern I have coming up. Never hiked, camped in the snow. I have camped in 20 degree but no snow. Cold and Rain, hmmm. Like what was aid before me, I CAN DO IT!!!
Hope to see you out there, we will encourage each other.

TOMP
12-09-2011, 02:25
Twitching definately, but mostly just really nervous about it. Anxiety is hitting me hard like taking a final I didnt study for, but, I definately am prepared mentally and physically. I think ill finally feel better when I get there and there's nothing more to do but hike and enjoy. I think its that the AT through hike is big in my mind (as it should be). Something that superheros do, hikers with feet made of moleskin and internal camel packs in thier bodies, and not real ppl like me.

SpecialK
12-12-2011, 19:54
Just read Becoming Odyssa, Great Book recommended it.

Mister
12-16-2011, 16:39
yeeeeeeee I'll be in Georgia in 2 weeks :-D

Old Hiker
12-16-2011, 17:48
78 days and a wake up!

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 18:32
Twitching definately, but mostly just really nervous about it. Anxiety is hitting me hard like taking a final I didnt study for, but, I definately am prepared mentally and physically. I think ill finally feel better when I get there and there's nothing more to do but hike and enjoy. I think its that the AT through hike is big in my mind (as it should be). Something that superheros do, hikers with feet made of moleskin and internal camel packs in thier bodies, and not real ppl like me.one good rain and all concerns melt away.

Spogatz
12-19-2011, 00:59
If I were going to ride up for the day, what day would be best?

MissMagnolia
12-19-2011, 04:09
Almost exactly four months from today I'll start my thru-hike attempt. EEEEEEEEEeeee. I'm not ready! I can't wait! Twitchy is a good word. :banana

-Animal
12-23-2011, 08:57
Wow! 63 days and I'll be on the trail. May even get there earlyer via Greyhound to save some cash.

Anticipation, the dreaming of it, may be the best part.

rocketsocks
12-23-2011, 09:17
People always tell me I'm crazy for wanting to spend my free time (and eventually, six months) hiking. I'm glad that at least my father understands, but it's hard explaining to people what you (and even they) are capable of, and what you experience along the way. I wish I hadn't just signed a lease and bought a car, I want to be there for the 2012 kickoff.Ya know Guy,I think long distance hikers are cast from a different mold...and that's a good thing!