PDA

View Full Version : Boots for the AT?

CKMaho
11-16-2011, 22:26
I'm thru-hiking starting in March and am looking for some advice on footwear. There is a lot of back and forth about boots versus trail sneakers. I have relatively weak ankles and am admittedly not the most athletic. Does anyone have any recommendations for the appropriate shoes for me?

Old Hiker
11-16-2011, 22:36
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-15130-Chocurua-Trail-Brown/dp/B000VX03N0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321497251&sr=8-3

I'm on my 4th pair - I just got two in the mail and have had NO issues. They went on my feet and felt as good as my two really, REALLY broken in pair. I like boots.

I use LL Bean hiking socks - no liners - and I have had almost NO blisters, maybe one small one every 50 miles or so on the AT section hikes I've done.

Good luck!

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2011, 22:42
With exception to the PA rocks, boots are passe- decent trail runners and sneekers not from wally world have pretty much taken over - I use Solomon or New Balance. If boots are your thing - I would have a one on one discussion with EMS or REI and try several pairs - use the ramp & turn around and come down - make sure they don't slip - also before going to the store have a clean pair of hiking socks. Don't mess around with online purchases for your first pair. - You need to get your sizes right. The socks are there to help get the fit right.

You do not need to make a purchase right away - take your time get several opinions and try stuff on.

trippclark
11-16-2011, 22:42
I'm thru-hiking starting in March and am looking for some advice on footwear. There is a lot of back and forth about boots versus trail sneakers. I have relatively weak ankles and am admittedly not the most athletic. Does anyone have any recommendations for the appropriate shoes for me?

I have used both over the past 10 years. I used lightweight boots for the first 300 miles and trailrunners for the past 1000 miles. I strongly prefer the trailrunners. I had similar concerns about ankle support and such but, for me, this has not been an issue. I find that my feet and legs feel better at the end of the day, and because they are lighter, I tend to pick my feet up better as I walk, which results in less stubbing of the toe, tripping, etc. There is no doubt, however, that I get fewer miles on each pair of trailrunners though. Your mileage may vary.

trippclark
11-16-2011, 22:46
With exception to the PA rocks, boots are passe

WOO,

You are right, the PA rocks can do a number on Trailrunners, but they can be sufficient! I just finished PA three weeks ago after breaking it into three sections over the past two years, but made it the whole way with one pair of trail runners. They were almost new when I started PA and are almost shot now, but they made it.

SassyWindsor
11-16-2011, 23:27
Too bad trail-shoes can't be resoled like boots. I have both, shoes for day hikes, boots for the serious stuff. I'm at the third resole on a pair of Italian Fabiano's, close to 3000 miles of hiking. Shoes might get you 800. I estimate the cost differences and life has the boots at half, or better, the cost per mile. My feet, legs and back feel better when using boots.

DavidNH
11-16-2011, 23:31
Your are doing a thru hike this coming March. haven't you done some hiking or backpacking before? that would give you and idea of what footwear works and what kind of insoles are or aren't good.

get out there and do some shake down hikes. Don't make a thru attemp your first long distance hike!

Papa D
11-16-2011, 23:52
I use LaSportiva trail runners like most modern AT backpackers but with weak ankles and your claim that you need support -- try these -- www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/delta-gtx

mark schofield
11-17-2011, 07:31
good advice about trying on several different brands in a store. a well reviewed boot/trailrunner might be good for me but not for you. and there might be a difference between the same brand two years ago and now. i spent a few hours in the local REI trying on different pairs.

daddytwosticks
11-17-2011, 08:13
+DavidNH...you've got to experiment and see what works for YOU. Good luck. :)

nitewalker
11-17-2011, 08:38
good advice about trying on several different brands in a store. a well reviewed boot/trailrunner might be good for me but not for you. and there might be a difference between the same brand two years ago and now. i spent a few hours in the local REI trying on different pairs.

the only drawback with trying boots on instore is who tried them on be4 you? if that person has athletes foot it can easily transfer to your socks and boots. it hapened to me one time about ten yrs ago when trying on some boots. never use a sock from the sock bin they have, very grungy if u ask me....

as for boots vs trail runners? they both have their place in the hiking world. i just bought a pr of asolo tps 520 gv boots and love them but i would never use them during a summer hike. i will use them during spring fall and early winter.
most of the time i use my merrell chameleon trail shoes and have no problems. the only issue with the chameleons is a slight ankle twist every now and again. i usually have poles and they prevent full blown ankle sprains most of the time plus i am pretty agile and quick so i can usually catch myself if i have no poles...

Odd Man Out
11-17-2011, 10:47
I love my Merrell Moab Ventilators (non Gore Tex - low top) although I have not had them on a long distance hike. I am not sure however if these are considered boots or trail sneekers. Are these kinds of trail shoes an in between category?

CKMaho
11-17-2011, 13:19
You have all been super helpful. I've only really ever been out for a month at a time before but was doing trail maintenance on the PCT so boots were a must. I'm headed to REI next weekend and will try on a bunch.

I like the idea of the Sportiva Delta's.

Fredt4
11-17-2011, 14:22
Best boot is no boot.Best trail runner is one that fits the best.I used Northface's Groundhogs on my thru-hike, no blisters.I'm sure some other may fit better. But, repeat the following every morning, "Best boot is no boot."

Shutter
11-17-2011, 20:30
This this and more this. I started the trail with Vasque Mindbenders, I loved them but once I got to PA my feet hurt so damn much, I could feel everything on the trail after the first hundred miles or so in new shoes. I switched to Merrell Ventilators (Non-gortex) and they were amazing, best shoe I've ever worn, my foot problems went away a couple weeks after switching. I don't know if I would've finished if I stuck with the Vasque. But, we all have different feet and things work better for some and not others. I did make an observation out there this year, the majority of people start with boots, trail runners and all kinds of things, and they all finish in Merrell's (sweeping generalization I know). Same goes for packs, seems everyone has an Osprey by the time they reach Katahdin.

Tinker
11-18-2011, 00:38
I just did 50 mi. on the Pa. rocks last week in brandy-new Merrill Moab Ventilators. I weigh over 220 lbs, and the shoes look almost as good as they did before I started.
Disclaimer: If they don't fit you like a glove, try something else.
Too many people buy footwear based on others' recommendations.
In some cases it's like giving someone with peanut allergies something processed in "a facility which also processes peanuts".
Could be perfect for one, blister city for another.
Isis and jackrabbit, the "barefoot sisters" hiked Pa. in 2000 without the luxury of shoes. They didn't have ultralight packs, but they travelled relatively slowly. It can be done.
Btw: I used to wear custom-made Limmer boots, with stiff ankle cuffs. They were good for support, but, once in a while, the stiffness of the cuffs would hit a nerve in my ankle and I'd have to hike for a day or two with the boot only laced half way up.
On my first long hike with them (I thought I had broken them in), I ended up hiking 20+ miles in broken-down running shoes (which were intended only to be "camp shoes") because the boots gave me very bad blisters on my heels. I had no trouble with ankle twisting.

wythekari
11-18-2011, 14:42
I too have gone from boots to trail shoes; currently happy w/Columbia shoes. Keep my boots though for trail work - when sawing, hacking, using a swinging tool or pushing logs off the trail I like the extra weight and protection (maybe perceived) that I get w/boots.