PDA

View Full Version : Kindle .pdf Reader and the Companion

Leanthree
11-17-2011, 14:33
Anyone every tried to use the Companion .pdf on their Kindle?

I am trying to build a case in my mind to get one and this seems like a good multi-task use if it works well.

Slo-go'en
11-17-2011, 15:35
Yes, I used the kindle and companion.pdf on my last 500 mile section hike. It worked okay, but not great. When displaying a whole page, the font is really tiny. Reading the tables is a pain. Then there is the issue of reading it in the rain. I think next time I'll carry the printed book, as it is a bit easier to work with.

I think I'll get a Kindle "Fire" for the next trip. Battery life isn't nearly as good, but having a decent web browser will be handy. I can't justify the cost of a smart phone but not having to relay on public computers is nice. It's easy enought to get access to wi-fi in most towns along the trail.

Leanthree
11-18-2011, 09:41
Thanks Slo!

Bucho
11-19-2011, 13:51
I hiked the AT with the companion on my kindle this year. It worked fine however I'd recommend getting awol's guidebook instead, it's better.

Spokes
11-19-2011, 14:01
I have a Kindle and would consider taking it on my next thru but I like cutting out pages of my guidebook and carrying them in a ziplock bag tucked away in my hiking shorts. Makes it real easy to check mile markers, water sources. etc... along the way without all the hassle.

Cheers

Slo-go'en
11-19-2011, 14:56
I have a Kindle and would consider taking it on my next thru but I like cutting out pages of my guidebook and carrying them in a ziplock bag tucked away in my hiking shorts. Makes it real easy to check mile markers, water sources. etc... along the way without all the hassle.

Yea, I didn't refer to the guide book nearly as much on the kindle as I would with pages in a ziplock. Mostly in the evening to check what was coming up the next day.

Lando11
11-22-2011, 01:40
you can also view pdfs on smart phones. just think of it, camera, music and guide book in 1 handy device...

Mike2012
11-22-2011, 06:53
You can't burn or wipe your ass with a kindle. Wouldn't want to bury it anyway. That would be littering. :D

Spokes
11-22-2011, 09:55
You can't ...wipe your ass with a kindle...

Sure you can. Works better than a putty knife.

Grinder
11-22-2011, 09:57
Yes I did. Not exactly a kindle, but an Asbat, which is a Jinke, which firm made the first kindles. It is identical to an early kindle, except more formats are accepted.

It didn't work well. Indexing to the section you wanted was near impossible. My unit would search "forever" since the total file was what?? several Mbytes. Also, the format was only legible when turned sideways. (I forget the exact term).

I used the idea to justify buying in . ie eliminate the handbook and carry the reader. I'm glad I did buy it because I'm a reader. One book doesn't last a week. The kindle type machine has a big weigh-tfree shelf.

Spokes
11-22-2011, 10:08
Check out Calibre e book management software for the Kindle. Lots of features and free news aggregator for Kindle and other readers.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

yotarunner77
11-22-2011, 10:20
I am planning on giving it a try on my phone on my thru this march. I played around with it and it was not hard to read but it just not as good as having the book or pages in hand. I also found a pdf that I saved on my phone tha shows the altitude of the entire trail. I am going to keep the book in my bounce box just in case I do not like it. Here are the links for the companion pdf and altitude graph pdf: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/22762317