PDA

View Full Version : backpack waterproofing

colonel r
11-17-2011, 17:28
I use a series of dry bags in my pack to keep things dry that need to be dry.&nbsp; <br><br>However, hiking in the rain last week, it revealed that the backpack soaked up lots of water and became heavy.&nbsp; Has anyone ever used the spray waterproofing (or any other means)&nbsp; to keep their packs from absorbing so much water?&nbsp; <br><br>I am not trying to waterproof the pack just keep it from absorbing so much water.&nbsp; I use an Osprey Exos 46 pack.<br><br>ColR

Panzer1
11-17-2011, 17:57
Try using a rain cover for your pack.

Bat321
11-17-2011, 18:04
Cuben fiber never absorbs water. You can get pack covers made out of it.

bobqzzi
11-17-2011, 18:09
No real advice to offer, but still wondering why all backpacks aren't waterproof from the get go...

Guy
11-17-2011, 18:19
No real advice to offer, but still wondering why all backpacks aren't waterproof from the get go...

Because they tend take a lot of abuse so they don't stay waterproof for long. You're better off with a pack cover that can be taken off when it's not raining to preserve its integrity.

Bat321
11-17-2011, 19:41
Cuben fiber packs are if you seam seal them but there is that $$$ issue.

Abner
11-17-2011, 21:44
Sea to Summit pack covers. Outstanding piece of gear. stores in its own little stuff sack that is sew to the cover itself. Truly lightweight. Waterproof.

Papa D
11-17-2011, 22:17
Hey, for once I agree with Panzer on something - use a pack cover!

Also, if you use a tyvek ground sheet put it on the bottom of your pack to prevent wicking when you set it down
Try not to set your pack down on wet ground - use a rock, downed tree, stump, shelter floor, etc.
+1 on Sea to Summit Pack Covers

Amanita
11-17-2011, 22:22
zpacks has some pretty cheap cuben covers. wish I had know about them before I shelled out for a sil nylon one that cost almost as much but is twice the weight.

Papa D
11-17-2011, 22:27
When I thru-hiked, I used a huge poncho - over body and pack - you don't sweat much because you get air flow from underneath - you look and feel like a hulking monster and your agility is highly compromised -- I don't do it anymore -- I do the jacket / pack cover combo, but it is a very dry way to travel

leaftye
11-18-2011, 00:55
I've used spray on dwr on my pack before. I don't know how much of a difference it made. I suppose it can't hurt.

Blue Jay
11-18-2011, 20:47
I've never carried one of the sponge packs with garbage bags inside, as I like my gear dry. I always seem to run into sponge/garbage bag people wirh very wet sleeping bags. I started with a very large dry bag on a K2 Longbed. When I switched to an Arc'teryx it seemed light. Unlikely I'll need another pack in this lifetime.

Blue Jay
11-18-2011, 20:50
Because they tend take a lot of abuse so they don't stay waterproof for long. You're better off with a pack cover that can be taken off when it's not raining to preserve its integrity.

6000 miles and counting. Pack covers work for the first half hour in a heavy rain, after that you have to pray your garbage bag holds

Tinker
11-18-2011, 20:59
The advice given here is just as good as the advice given on the other "backpack waterproofing" thread :D.

Tinker
11-18-2011, 21:05
6000 miles and counting. Pack covers work for the first half hour in a heavy rain, after that you have to pray your garbage bag holds

Exactly right.

That's because water runs down your back and soaks through the back (actually the front, if you think direction-of-travel) of the pack and soaks whatever is inside. Yes, DO use waterproof bags inside your pack as well as a pack cover. You may hike hundreds of weekends and never find this out, but after three days or more of heavy rain only gear protected in this way will stay dry (and you have to remember that humidity counts as "wetness", in which case even your down bag, in the bowels of your pack, will become damp on a typical long hike on the AT.

Papa D
11-18-2011, 21:43
I've hiked for days in the rain with a properly fitting pack cover - like anything, used right, it will work - I also keep just about all of my gear in granite gear waterproof sacks and line the bottom of my bag with tyvek - no, the pack cover isn't perfect -- it's sort of like tarp camping -- not perfect but better than cowboy style when the rain pours down

Del Q
11-18-2011, 21:57
Hi Blue Jay!!! (Del Q from West Mountain Shelter, remember Trek, you me and the limping skunk?)

Agree 110%, I am a section hiker (currently), check out Hyperlight Mountain Gear, great new pack, saved up for cuben fiber...........still use sil sacs inside for gear in separate bags, pack cover, zippo for moisture or wetness.

For something so simple there is a lot to this, to do it "right"

All good!